R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@PM: It's signed as "34-HUDSON". No "St" or "YDS" or anything. Just more of this "hashtag" service descriptions crap.

@Javier: Some of the trains haven't received the new software update yet.

Edited by Lance

Did they replace the lights on the conversion sets at all? I recently had a ride on one, and noticed that many of the lights were off in no specific pattern, and some lights were dimmer than others. 

Basically the trains are taken off the (6) , converted and transferred to the (7). They have the same smell, and the same dirt as when they were on the (6). I wonder when the (7) can get an entire new fleet of trains without them being taken from another line. If I'm not mistaken the R33WF and R36WF were the last trains to replace the older (7) fleet of R12's and R15's. Looks like we won't find out until about 2050.

You can blame Westchester until the cows come home. It doesn't change the fact that those signs are 15 years old. The Pocatec signs on the 142s are faring better than the Luminator ones on the 142As, but even those are glitching and freezing at times. The signs are old and probably need to be replaced some time soon. Being on very demanding lines doesn't really help either since in all likelihood, those signs are rarely turned off.

A R188 failed at Grand Central which stalled the rest of the (7) line, it was because of a door issue and a motor issue (I think, I heard it from someone else).

About those signs: Lance, your right, those signs are 15 years old, but some of them freeze CONSTANTLY. The R46 LED signs are more better then the R142, 42A, and R188. Today on my (5) train, I saw (2) To Flatbush Ave when the train was signed up as a (5), and the sign was glitching like CRAZY.

A R188 failed at Grand Central which stalled the rest of the (7) line, it was because of a door issue and a motor issue (I think, I heard it from someone else).

About those signs: Lance, your right, those signs are 15 years old, but some of them freeze CONSTANTLY. The R46 LED signs are more better then the R142, 42A, and R188. Today on my (5) train, I saw (2) To Flatbush Ave when the train was signed up as a (5), and the sign was glitching like CRAZY.

It was neither...

The 3rd rail shoe came in contact with the protection board and that sparked the fire.

It's not the first time that happened. Seen it happen plenty of times. They done it with other R188s that was already qualified for service

It doesn't matter whether or not they qualify, it matters how many sets are delivered/converted on the (7) , stored in Corona Yard. Its a normal process true, seen it happen always, but it could be the very first R188 set placed in service, don't matter, they still test weekly or monthly despite what set used for testing

Edited by Priincenene

It doesn't matter whether or not they qualify, it matters how many sets are delivered/converted on the (7) , stored in Corona Yard. Its a normal process true, seen it happen always, but it could be the very first R188 set placed in service, don't matter, they still test weekly or monthly despite what set used for testing

That's what I just said.

You can blame Westchester until the cows come home. It doesn't change the fact that those signs are 15 years old. The Pocatec signs on the 142s are faring better than the Luminator ones on the 142As, but even those are glitching and freezing at times. The signs are old and probably need to be replaced some time soon. Being on very demanding lines doesn't really help either since in all likelihood, those signs are rarely turned off.

Ya, I do believe its due to over heating issues probably.