R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I was on the (7) doing a little subway riding yesterday during the pm rush hour and counted only 6 sets of R62A's out and none where in the yard , (MTA) are going crazy with sending the converted sets .... get your pics and videos while you can on the (7). Ive also been noticing at night Westchester Yard are using nothing but almost all R62A's.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not quite that dire, but they're definitely disappearing. I'm actually enjoying the (7) now, because there are so many leftover singles from the sets sent to Westchester that there are multiple trains with 6 cars of singles like in the old days and lots of RFWs even towards Manhattan.

Wait I have a question: if the R62A's on the (7) are made up of 6 car sets + 5 car set, are they reverted back to two 5 car sets for the (6)? And where does the extra sixth car go?

No, they are made of two 5-car sets and one single. There are no 6-car R62A sets. The extra singles are what I referenced in the post above yours.

So whats gonna happen to the single sets? Will it be 5-car numerical order?

Not for all, unless the shuttle fleet is shifted around too. However, we might see some sets linked. If the spare factor is large enough, some cars could transition mainly to work service to replace the aging, A/C-less R33WFs too. 

It's not quite that dire, but they're definitely disappearing. I'm actually enjoying the (7) now, because there are so many leftover singles from the sets sent to Westchester that there are multiple trains with 6 cars of singles like in the old days and lots of RFWs even towards Manhattan.

I was at Queens Plaza waiting for the Q101 and I saw another converted set getting transfered to the (7) it switched from the (N) track wich means another R62A leaving Flushing for the (6) , i counted how R62As are left on the (7) and as of right now just 5 sets and for some reason Corona only use them now for the am and pm rush hour only.

Edited by R62AR33

I was at Queens Plaza waiting for the Q101 and I saw another converted set getting transfered to the (7) it switched from the (N) track wich means another R62A leaving Flushing for the (6) , i counted how R62As are left on the (7) and as of right now just 5 sets and for some reason Corona only use them now for the am and pm rush hour only.

False, saw one in service yesterday

Ok, so I put everything together on what sets the R62A has on the (6) as of now (don't know if its 100% accurate):

1651-1825, 1831-1840, 1961-1980, 1986-2020, 2061-2080, 2126-2130, 2221-2225, 2306-2310

Edited by R179 8258

I find it hard to believe only 5 sets left of 62As on the (7) must at least be 10-15 sets left at least, I rode the (7) last weekend and there was quite a few 62As in service, It was shocking as I didn't see none of the new 188 sets in service but a bunch of 62As was out there.

Edited by trainfan22

I find it hard to believe only 5 sets left of 62As on the (7) must at least be 10-15 sets left at least, I rode the (7) last weekend and there was quite a few 62As in service, It was shocking as I didn't see none of the new 188 sets in service but a bunch of 62As was out there.

Yes around 12 sets now.

I have been out of NYC for a while, but since the R62As were in pretty good condition, I don't think there were any real problems in terms of delays or broken trains.

However, the screwed up signs on the Westchester R142A converts sometimes make it a pain to figure out if the train is express or local, although the super-clear automated announcements have solved that problem. That's probably the biggest plus.

Has this been confirmed by anybody?

I rode the (6) from Pelham Bay Pk to Brooklyn Bridge for the pm rush and didn't see any R142s out it was Mostly R62A's with some R142'As out.

So does anyone actually see improvements with all the R188's and R62's swap?

Now that Westchester has gotten reused to the R62A's iv seen much faster commutes to work and back home and more frequent (7)<7> service in manhattan and queens late night with the R188s.