R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, and plus i think riders would prefer announcement based trains since most of them get lost or don't pay attention as to where they are... so no point to put back r62a's back on the 6 line... if that was the case, longtime ago they would've left them or put them back....tooo late to put them back now...people got used to them!

Exactly, and plus i think riders would prefer announcement based trains since most of them get lost or don't pay attention as to where they are... so no point to put back r62a's back on the 6 line... if that was the case, longtime ago they would've left them or put them back....tooo late to put them back now...people got used to them!

It doesn't matter if people got used to them, it's the logistics that matters. This move has been planned for a long time, and don't jump to conclusions- we still don't know where the (MTA) plans to move the R62A's once the converted R142/R188's start to be put in service on the (7)<7> The only reason you see the (4) or the (6) brought up here is because those are the two optimal destinations for the R62A's- they don't have a large amount of termini, so it's less labor to change the rollsigns- and they can use the LED's. People are just going to have to start listening to the announcements, whether they like it or not, and be aware of their surroundings-it's just the way it is.

It doesn't matter if people got used to them, it's the logistics that matters. This move has been planned for a long time, and don't jump to conclusions- we still don't know where the (MTA) plans to move the R62A's once the converted R142/R188's start to be put in service on the (7)<7> The only reason you see the (4) or the (6) brought up here is because those are the two optimal destinations for the R62A's- they don't have a large amount of termini, so it's less labor to change the rollsigns- and they can use the LED's. People are just going to have to start listening to the announcements, whether they like it or not, and be aware of their surroundings-it's just the way it is.

Isn't the MTA planning to retrofit the R62A class cars with LED destination signs and automated announcements before they place them on 6 line?

Isn't the MTA planning to retrofit the R62A class cars with LED destination signs and automated announcements before they place them on 6 line?

planning, yes. when, though, is not known. i seriously doubt theyre going to upgrade the 62s before placement on whatever line they put them on. idk where it was stated that the 4 and 6 was a sure thing. its all been rumor as far as i know until something concrete appears.

Guest lance25
7500s? Even if it was just for clearance testing, why that set? why not just run the converted R142a (R188) set instead?

I think they already did clearance testing. I doubt much will be different size-wise between 7211 and 7591.

why would there be a size difference? why is it suppose to come back looking different? why is the propulsion suppose to be different? the 188 contract was to install cbtc and extra cars of the same specs and exteriors. why spend more money for a different look when this was the plan since the 142s were first designed?.

people see a new contract number and expect a new look. well people, welcome to the next generation. only changes made between contracts are minor things. remember the many redbird orders of yesteryear? only minor differences between looks. same situation here.

The steinway tubes being as narrow as they as they are, a few inches can make a big difference. ie: if the cars are taller/longer, the train would need to slow down a bit to avoid scraping the walls. imo.

this is true. but theyve already clearance tested and the difference between 142 and 188 is the cbtc equipment, most of which is inside the car. remember, 142s were designed and built with provisions for cbtc equipment.

given how reports of that recent set spotted at Mets with cables hangin out only tells me they are testing a new component that may not be cbtc related. i remember them using a set of 38s thru broad channel to test the nyct-designed ONIX propulsion system now in use on Alsthom 160s during '97.

I bet the only changes with the new R188 (the new C cars, 79xx's) will be the signs and maybe the doors. The signs will probably be like the R160's, and the Doors will most likely have different motors.

then wheres the compatability with the conversion sets? past operations (the practice of mix n match consists up untill the 1980s) have lead the mta to run sets of the same specs. you never see 160s linked with 143s. if they have C cars built with FINDs, or even LED signs opposed to the current lcd signs, then the conversion carsmust have them too. and as we've seen from pics of the first 188 conversion set, that isnt the case. otherwise, the set that arrived woulda had the new specs, FINDs and all.

then wheres the compatability with the conversion sets? past operations (the practice of mix n match consists up untill the 1980s) have lead the mta to run sets of the same specs. you never see 160s linked with 143s. if they have C cars built with FINDs, or even LED signs opposed to the current lcd signs, then the conversion carsmust have them too. and as we've seen from pics of the first 188 conversion set, that isnt the case. otherwise, the set that arrived woulda had the new specs, FINDs and all.

They can run R160 Alstom and Siemens together.

They can run R160 Alstom and Siemens together.

they can but not often if at all. the propulsion, although different vendors, have he same trainline functions. hence why i used 143s and 160s as an example. even then, both 160s all have the same basic features as in the FINDs and doors. dont expect FINDs on the c cars. if theyre not on the conversions, they wont be on the c cars.

From what I understand (which is little, officially speaking) is that there shouldn't be a compatibility issue inserting the new C car into the conversion set as it will have no propulsion. This way, they don't have to worry about resurrecting an out of date, out of production propulsion model... And as far as I know, they will be installing Alstom propulsion on the new 11 car sets coming in in the next year.

from what i understand (which is little, officially speaking) is that there shouldn't be a compatibility issue inserting the new c car into the conversion set as it will have no propulsion. This way, they don't have to worry about resurrecting an out of date, out of production propulsion model... And as far as i know, they will be installing alstom propulsion on the new 11 car sets coming in in the next year.

now do you believe me!?