R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still, amazing the (7) is almost fully NTT and the (6) is almost back to the 90's minus the Redbirds.

It's around 15 sets before the entire order is completed, but still not that long to get completed. Earliest I've seen recently was a 746x set.

its not almost its basically it is.... Iv noticed that the R142A's are being used for the am and pm rush hours only lately with the exception of about 3 sets for the Late nights...

Edited by R62AR33

Wait, what? Why? Why not swap out a broken set for another one of the same size?

My guess is that it would be easier to just take one train out and replace it with another train, instead of having to decouple the broken half of Train A, decoupling the corresponding half of Train B, and connecting the working half of Train A to the other half of Train B.

You would rather have a 5 car set R188 operating on the (7)? You must be outta your mind.

Like how that R143 was completely taken out of service when it smashed into that bumper at Canarsie Island Yard. They would have swapped out the non damaged set, but that would mean taking out another set along with it.

You would rather have a 5 car set R188 operating on the (7)? You must be outta your mind.

Like how that R143 was completely taken out of service when it smashed into that bumper at Canarsie Island Yard. They would have swapped out the non damaged set, but that would mean taking out another set along with it.

I don't think that's what he means exactly...

He's saying replace the 5 or 6 car set with a spare 5 or 6 car set.

I'll put it like this: a 5 car set is gone, the entire train is gone. One more 5 car set is gone, 2 trains are out of service. unless both a 6 car set also gets destroyed, those "extra cars" are pretty much worthless.

My guess is that it would be easier to just take one train out and replace it with another train, instead of having to decouple the broken half of Train A, decoupling the corresponding half of Train B, and connecting the working half of Train A to the other half of Train B.

Maybe off-peak, but in the rush hour I can't see there being enough trains left around the yard that they're able to pull a full 11 car set off line in exchange for another.

What are you talking about? No one said anything about 5 car sets. The R143 in Canarsie (there's no island in the yard's name) does nothing to further your argument either. The R143s operate in 8 car trains, each made up of 4 car sets. When the R143 smashed through that bumper, the only cars that were affected were the rest of the 4 car unit. 8277 was the car that hit the bumper, so that would mean 8277/78/79/80 are out of service, nothing else.

What?! U make no sense. Im sorry but u don't.

Maybe off-peak, but in the rush hour I can't see there being enough trains left around the yard that they're able to pull a full 11 car set off line in exchange for another.

What are you talking about? No one said anything about 5 car sets. The R143 in Canarsie (there's no island in the yard's name) does nothing to further your argument either. The R143s operate in 8 car trains, each made up of 4 car sets. When the R143 smashed through that bumper, the only cars that were affected were the rest of the 4 car unit. 8277 was the car that hit the bumper, so that would mean 8277/78/79/80 are out of service, nothing else.[/quote

I'm sorry, I wrote that article when it was 1 in the morning, I apologize for not being through.

What I mean is, if you take out one half of a affected set and swap it out with another set, you would be left with two trains taken out of service.

Now with the R143, the whole entire 8 car set was taken out of service, not just the first 4 cars.

I'm sorry, I wrote that article when it was 1 in the morning, I apologize for not being through.

What I mean is, if you take out one half of a affected set and swap it out with another set, you would be left with two trains taken out of service.

Now with the R143, the whole entire 8 car set was taken out of service, not just the first 4 cars.

Nope, only the 4 car set is retired. No other set. 208 out of all 212 R143s are working fine. Edited by MysteriousBtrain