R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Alot of the 7400s are at Kawasaki getting converted and Corona can't send anymore R62A's back to Westchester yard till more R188s go in service so The (1) is lending R62A's to the (6) , if your wondering why you may have seeing more broadway sets that is your reason why , and that is also why during the Pm rush hour Jerome lends an R142 or R142A to Westchester Yard for 2 rounds trips.

Makes sense. Also saw an R142 running on the (6) line last week. I am also seeing a set (or two) R62 (3) trains running as the (1). A lot of accommodations for the conversion it seems.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost the same as the R62As. The only differences are that there were different builders and different signage for those cars, so I don't really see the problem. But that's me.

Na, There is no problem I just feel the R62as are better for the (1) the R62s have been having their bad moments on the (1) but no serious problems

Is corona yard not comfortable putting ad wraps on the R188s?

I think the reason they are wrapping the 62a over the 188 are because 62a warps generate more money, because they do they inside as well, The NTT's have never done interior ad wrapping yet, but I like the fact they are ad wrapping the 62a trains, cause for some reason I always notice there are less ppl on 62a trains every time I ride. Now w/ the ad wrap train they get about the same amount of people compared to a 188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qT1DIGYDTY

Saw 7860-7870 NIS yesterday at 5th Avenue. 

Just seen this on YouTube, anyone know why this set doesn't operate in service?

This set has CBTC installed so I think it was probably either CBTC testing or they were seeing how the train handled with the CBTC components inside. Either way, this set has been OOS for what seems like forever. 

BTW, 7221-7900-7230 returned to service after months being OOS. I heard it had returned to Kawasaki to get CBTC installed but I also heard it was in Corona's shop for months. Not sure what to beleive though.

Hasn't that set (7860-7870) not been in service for months? Like, the last time I remember that being in service was last year.. I did get a ride on that set when it was brand new, then I really never saw it again running in service. That set does have CBTC installed, and by the looks of it (the advertisements), I think this set is going to return to service after a long hiatus. It's going to be just like new - unlike all other R188 sets that have been running for well over a year now. 

Edited by R188 7857

This set has CBTC installed so I think it was probably either CBTC testing or they were seeing how the train handled with the CBTC components inside. Either way, this set has been OOS for what seems like forever. 

BTW, 7221-7900-7230 returned to service after months being OOS. I heard it had returned to Kawasaki to get CBTC installed but I also heard it was in Corona's shop for months. Not sure what to beleive though.

I think that set was in Corona's shop if anything. It would take a year or two for it to go ALL the way back to Yonkers and back to Corona.

I saw a set with graffiti and I was not too happy when I saw it. Theres also a set with the 34th St sticker peeled off and a set with a glitched LCD sign

7220 has been recoupled with its partner 7211. so now again its 7211-7220

and if that set is not in service for the longest, why does it have ads?

if you saw 7211-7220, most of its LCD signs were fixed and the trucks recieved some extensive cleaning. they were probably doing it on that set also

Hasn't that set (7860-7870) not been in service for months? Like, the last time I remember that being in service was last year.. I did get a ride on that set when it was brand new, then I really never saw it again running in service. That set does have CBTC installed, and by the looks of it (the advertisements), I think this set is going to return to service after a long hiatus. It's going to be just like new - unlike all other R188 sets that have been running for well over a year now. 

I sure hope it returns to service soon, it will be nice to see a shiny new factory set. 

7220 has been recoupled with its partner 7211. so now again its 7211-7220

and if that set is not in service for the longest, why does it have ads?

if you saw 7211-7220, most of its LCD signs were fixed and the trucks recieved some extensive cleaning. they were probably doing it on that set also

I think 7211-7899-7220 have CBTC and 7221-7900-7230 now have CBTC after being gone for so long. I think they might be starting to give sets CBTC.

And for this NTT wrapping discussion, NTT interiors have been wrapped before. The R142 already mentioned and also the R143 YouTube ad wraps both were wrapped on the exterior and interior.