R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO theres no need for stickers at all. I just hope corona doesnt put them on the R188s, the current ones on the R62As are hideous.

R62a 1791 had one of its stickers removed but I guess they gave up in trying to remove them.

I heard once the conversions are done, the R188s are getting purple stickers lol... The R62As on the (6) are just going to keep those purple stickers just like the (3) has former stickers from the (4)

Most likely Kathleen Campion.

Her or most likely the women who takes over the whole subway system, Catherine Cowdery. She did Mets-Willets Point, 5 Av, and Court Sq renamed station announcements and at the time (2001) I don't think the idea of the 34 St station was proposed yet, maybe, maybe not it will be Kathleen?

Her or most likely the women who takes over the whole subway system, Catherine Cowdery. She did Mets-Willets Point, 5 Av, and Court Sq renamed station announcements and at the time (2001) I don't think the idea of the 34 St station was proposed yet, maybe, maybe not it will be Kathleen?

It would make more sense if Campion was the one who did the 34th St announcements, since they had her record lines for the R188's debut, so why not knock out the Hudson Yards announcements at the same time? They did the same for the (Q) to 96th St, a program which was first spotted around 2008, I believe. But honestly, I'd prefer Cowdery. I hate Campion's voice. I still wish they could get each lines' respective original announcers back to record new lines, though.

Incidentally, Annie Bergen, the original announcer for the (7), has an announcement recorded for a Mets-Willets Point bound (7), but not for the station itself.

It would make more sense if Campion was the one who did the 34th St announcements, since they had her record lines for the R188's debut, so why not knock out the Hudson Yards announcements at the same time? They did the same for the (Q) to 96th St, a program which was first spotted around 2008, I believe. But honestly, I'd prefer Cowdery. I hate Campion's voice. I still wish they could get each lines' respective original announcers back to record new lines, though.

Incidentally, Annie Bergen, the original announcer for the (7), has an announcement recorded for a Mets-Willets Point bound (7), but not for the station itself.

I meant Annie Bergen was the one who maybe didn't say the 34 St station announcement. It was probably Dianne Thompson or Cowdery who said them this time, and I hate the new (7) R188 announcements they're a mess.

the (7) actually would always be the line to recieve the newest order of subway cars. The first hand me down ever was the R62A

Well the last time the whole (7) fleet got brand new cars straight from the factory was back in 1964. Those cars started retiring in the late 90's and the (7) received some R33's and R36's from almost every IRT line except the (3)(4) and probably (6).

In 2002 the R62A's headed to the (7) and in 2013 the (7) did get some brand new cars while receiving the hand me down R142A converts from the (6). So the next time the (7) has a shot at an entire brand new fleet of cars is the earliest 2040.

Well the last time the whole (7) fleet got brand new cars straight from the factory was back in 1964. Those cars started retiring in the late 90's and the (7) received some R33's and R36's from almost every IRT line except the (3)(4) and probably (6).

In 2002 the R62A's headed to the (7) and in 2013 the (7) did get some brand new cars while receiving the hand me down R142A converts from the (6). So the next time the (7) has a shot at an entire brand new fleet of cars is the earliest 2040.

That's really not too bad in terms of fleet age, honestly. 1964 sounds old, but consider old much of the fleet is! The (C) is getting hand-me-down R160s first the first time after years of R32s and R38s, which replaced R30s, which replaced R10s. That's some old stock! 

Probably a little later than that. I understand that the life cycle for a NYC Subway fleet is give or take 40 years but I would think that the MTA might extend the life cycle of the "converted" R188s to keep up with the newer 88 & C car sets. I know Corona takes care of their rolling stock so I believe the R142A/R188 conversions wont look so beat up, time will tell.

No those R33s WF and R36s WF were new on the (7) before being repainted to redbirds

That's really not too bad in terms of fleet age, honestly. 1964 sounds old, but consider old much of the fleet is! The (C) is getting hand-me-down R160s first the first time after years of R32s and R38s, which replaced R30s, which replaced R10s. That's some old stock!

Yeah you are right, the (C) and along with the (A) hasn't seen anything new for years. The R46's were on other lines before they came over to the (A). The R10's did start and end on the (A) and (C) lines. They hit service in 1949 and ended in 1993. The R179 and the R211 has been a long time coming for riders. No more roll signs and broken LCD's in the case of the R46's. Bright interiors and automated announcements.

No those R33s WF and R36s WF were new on the (7) before being repainted to redbirds

Yes I know they got R33's and R36's back in 1964 and 1965. I'm saying that In the 90's some bad sets started getting retired and some R33's and R36's from the other IRT lines went to the (7) until retirement in 03.

Yeah you are right, the (C) and along with the (A) hasn't seen anything new for years. The R46's were on other lines before they came over to the (A). The R10's did start and end on the (A) and (C) lines. They hit service in 1949 and ended in 1993. The R179 and the R211 has been a long time coming for riders. No more roll signs and broken LCD's in the case of the R46's. Bright interiors and automated announcements.

Yes I know they got R33's and R36's back in 1964 and 1965. I'm saying that In the 90's some bad sets started getting retired and some R33's and R36's from the other IRT lines went to the (7) until retirement in 03.

Well some of the LCDs on the R142As look like trash as well.