R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

One of the main points of assigning classes to shops is to MINIMIZE mixing of cartypes between shops. It makes little sense to make Mosholu even more of a mixed shop than it is today.

Westchester would take ALL the 142a's Mosholu has and in return they would have 62a's

That would make Mosholu 142/62a and Westchester 142a/62a

How mixed up is that really

All your doing is spreading those 62a's around more and send more NTT back to the 6

7590-7655 is what's left at Westchester currently

So I say send them Mosholu's 7656-7810

For 62a's

Makes sense to me

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westchester would take ALL the 142a's Mosholu has and in return they would have 62a's

That would make Mosholu 142/62a and Westchester 142a/62a

How mixed up is that really

All your doing is spreading those 62a's around more and send more NTT back to the 6

7590-7655 is what's left at Westchester currently

So I say send them Mosholu's 7656-7810

For 62a's

Makes sense to me

Actually Westchester still has quite a bit of 75xx that are left before their conversion to R188. That whole mix fleet with both moshulu & westchester yards is not a bad idea cause Ive actually been strategizing that sort of plan as well.

Why is there such a problem with the (6) being mostly R62A's. They were on the (7) for years and no one complained about that. Now the (6) has R62A's and there is a problem. It is like that portion of the 90's is gone from memory because the (6) did use R62's and they held up fine. A lot of you are overreacting and making things more complicated. I can't believe we are still discussing whether or not the R62A's belong at Westchester. At least they can take us from point A to point B with no problem.

Why is there such a problem with the (6) being mostly R62A's. They were on the (7) for years and no one complained about that. Now the (6) has R62A's and there is a problem. It is like that portion of the 90's is gone from memory because the (6) did use R62's and they held up fine. A lot of you are overreacting and making things more complicated. I can't believe we are still discussing whether or not the R62A's belong at Westchester. At least they can take us from point A to point B with no problem.

I agree... (6) trains having R62A's is not as bad as ppl make it seem...I personally dont see anything wrong with the R62A's on the  (6)...Reminds me alot of the 90's....The R142a's is a replacement of the several redbirds that ran in the 90's on the  (6) in my opinion...And please leave the  (4) train fleet the way it is....To me the (4) is the busiest line on the lex with 24 hour service traveling thru 3 boro's...

Riders tend to deal with what trains get them from point to point even if its not an NTT. I mostly see officals and straphangers advocates do all the complaining about wanting new trains and what not.  Residents on the UWS have dealt with riding New Yorks oldest subway equipment of this modern era and yet I don't see them cry, kicking and screaming for justice. The R62A on their best day or realiable cars, thats been proven on the (1)(7) and even before on the (3) & (6) back in the day. It's just a matter of maintaining them well. I find it funny how people would curse the R62A away from the lexington line and even more funnier that they lay claim that the R62As are not bad on the (6), but please keep it away from the (4). It's the TAs call on what fleet gets assigned to what subway route. Changing divisions I hear all this talk about R32s going to the (M) and my only mindset on that is I'll believe it when I see it but getting back to the A division even if the R62As played a factor in the (6) declined performance in wait assessment, it is what it is and the fact in the matter is the R62A have to go somewhere while the (7) gets outfitted with CBTC.

Just wait till those UES riders complain...

There is nothing they can do about it. Those ex-R142A's are for the (7) now. It doesn't make any sense to complain about fleet because half of the (6) will still be R62A's if they were split with the (4)'s R142A's. What people should complain about more is crappy bus service and missing runs that happen on several bus routes in all 5 boroughs.

I actually wonder if the R188's will go back to the (6) as R142A's again in the future

No. Keep in mind that about 220 R142As will remain as is on the Lexington line. Some of them will remain on the (6). Common sense should be clear by now that once the R142As are converted to R188s they will serve the (7) for CBTC operations. Thats the WHOLE point in automating the Flushing line in the first place.

Theres a set with 3-4 cars with blank LCD signs. And why is there a few sets with the speaker all messed up and sounds like its being covered with something.

The (6) 's like full R62A now. I can see that Westchester doesn't know how to take care of them, they dirty, some green/red LED's are broken too.

Edited by Priincenene

Give it a break will you as long as they get you from point A to B it's fine with me, sheesh.

So you telling me that you love cleaning up R142A's for your free time, you wouldn't get confused it there was a GO with THE (6) GOING EXPRESS you wouldn't be confused with the LED's and you wouldn't mind seeing a set filthy dirty, and with scratchitti on an R62A? Ok you make perfect sense.

What?

You do realized those R188s are 11 cars trains?

And btw Westchester Yard is known for crappy maintenance which is why those R62As act up

Thank you again, (D) !

So you telling me that you love cleaning up R142A's for your free time, you wouldn't get confused it there was a GO with THE (6) GOING EXPRESS you wouldn't be confused with the LED's and you wouldn't mind seeing a set filthy dirty, and with scratchitti on an R62A? Ok you make perfect sense.

Thank you again, (D) !

When G.O's and service changes occur you need to pay more attention because on the Lexington Ave station there is a male announcement that goes on at the station telling people if the (6) is suffering from delays

Thank you again, (D) !

What New Flyer said, plus there are things called announcements and posters that will tell you the (6) is running express. Even when the R142As on the (6) run express, they still say "Lexington Avenue Exp" most of the time. And unlike the (7), the (6) has the countdown clocks, so I don't think that's a problem either...

Speaking of which why dosent the (7) have countdown clocks yet?

Some stations on the (7) along with the Queens Blvd Lines do have the announcement that says "Ladies and Gentlemen there is a Manhattan/Queens Bound train two stations away."

Then you also have the "The next local train is now arriving. Please stand away from the platform edge."