R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I know on the (6), 7591-7600 have the new motors. 7511 used to have the same motors as 7810, but has since been retrofitted to standard R142A motors. On the (4) as far as I know only 7756-7760 have them, and those cars also have very bright lights.

Just wondering, why do they have to change the door motors on the converted R142As? It seems like the doors are weaker on the R188s, people can even push them back open now.

.. Why is R142 #7071 - #7075 / #7076 -  #7080 running out of Union port Yard (5). I thought Union port Yard return #7071 - #7075 / #7076 - #7080 to Jerome Yard (4). I spotted R142 #7071 - #7075 / #7076 - #7080 last week on (5) service. Who says (6) will have after R188 conversion is done . (6) Westchester Yard will have R142A #7591 - #7655 only. That wrong. Don't forget Westchester Yard / Pelham Yard are loaning R62A from 240 street Yard R62A (1). At least whenever Westchester Yard return #2200 - #2400 series to 240 street Yard (1). Westchester Yard should get their R142A #7656 - #7670 ( 15 set remaining. ) back.. Westchester Yard should have R142A #7591 - #7670 ( 80 sets ).

)

I barely understood a word you said but those R142A's that were from Westchester on the (4) are staying on the (4), As far as the broadway sets yes their eventually going back to the (1) but will get replaced from the formers on from the (7).

I can tell the (6) is low on rolling stock cause I keep seeing R142As from the (4) being put on the (6) P.M. rush hour service multiple times already.

It's just one set during the PM Rush Hours. It starts service at 125th Street to Brooklyn Bridge and does one trip to Pelham before being sent back to the yard

Just wondering, why do they have to change the door motors on the converted R142As? It seems like the doors are weaker on the R188s, people can even push them back open now.

Not sure why, seems like the MTA wanted to make the door motors like the R160's have em. The R142A Convert (7) without the door motors would be the same door motor the original 1999 R142A's had. The R188 factory sets already had them installed. I wish at least one converted set stayed with the original doors, would look cool.

Did they change the strip map wiring and base on the converted R188's to accommodate the (7) stops? Why I'm asking is because the stops are more farther apart on the (7) map while the stops are close together on the (6) map.

Another thing I noticed, they removed the "ROUTE CHANGE: THIS MAP IS NOT IN USE" word on the strip map.

Did they change the strip map wiring and base on the converted R188's to accommodate the (7) stops? Why I'm asking is because the stops are more farther apart on the (7) map while the stops are close together on the (6) map.

Another thing I noticed, they removed the "ROUTE CHANGE: THIS MAP IS NOT IN USE" word on the strip map.

They more farther apart because the (7) has fewer stops than the Lexington, obviously, ALL IRT Strip map lights are close together by an inch or two, it lights up how the CR programmed it, just that the MTA put the Strip Map paper on it and how did you notice they removed the ROUTE CHANGE?

The actual lights are still close together, but they just printed the (7) map with its stops farther apart, and have every other light lit up. Edited by CKhaleel

The mainline route might need to borrow a set or two for whatever reason...

Prior to this summer, NO ONE thought the R143s would run on any line other than the (L) ever again.

The odds of the mainline needing an R188 for service is slim to none, especially with other yards they can get an extra train from a lot quicker.

R188's were made for the (7) . I DOUBT any other line would need an R188, and since the computer has only the (7) announcements in it, according to a T/O.

I don't know about that. I've heard the R143s only had the (L) and (M) programs, but I've seen R143 (A)s and (J)/(Z). In addition, it was said the (1) and (3) only have their basic programs, but videos and announcements have surfaced showing complex routes for those lines. So it wouldn't surprise me if the 188s had every A division route.

R188's were made for the (7) . I DOUBT any other line would need an R188, and since the computer has only the (7) announcements in it, according to a T/O.

I'm pretty sure we will see them on other lines like trainfan said that before nobody thought that R143s would go on other lines but the (L) but look what happened once other IRT lines are installed with CBTC they will probably move to other lines

does anyone actually know how these strip maps works?

If you take if off the dots are right next to each other with almost no space in between the strip map just cover up the additional dots. If I'm correct there are 2 dots in between dot in use on the (6) and 3 dots in between the dots in use on the (7) 

Why would they? The R188s have 11 car trains specifically configured for the (7). If they send them onto other lines, they'll either render half of the train unusable, or they're going to leave a bunch of 6 car sets unused in the yard while all the 5 car sets troll the other lines. It would not make any sense to send the R188s elsewhere.

Why would they? The R188s have 11 car trains specifically configured for the (7). If they send them onto other lines, they'll either render half of the train unusable, or they're going to leave a bunch of 6 car sets unused in the yard while all the 5 car sets troll the other lines. It would not make any sense to send the R188s elsewhere.

Thank you!

How bout this, wait at least 10 to 15 years more give or take for new trains on the A Division and stop with the idea of R188s going to other lines. It probably could work but theres no logic to doing it when theres enough trains to cover certain A division lines some of which are part time lines like the (5).

Well Its possible to see them on other lines they were built specifically for the (7) because the (7) is the first IRT line to have CBTC upgrades

How bout this, wait at least 10 to 15 years more give or take for new trains on the A Division and stop with the idea of R188s going to other lines. It probably could work but theres no logic to doing it when theres enough trains to cover certain A division lines some of which are part time lines like the (5).

10 to 15?.... more like 15 or 20 with the way that the R179 contract is going and with the R211 not even built yet for the B division don't get your hopes up for anything new in the A division in the near future, especially with how good the R62/A 's are doing. Then of course comes ordering the contract , waiting for trains to get built and then wait and see if they test fine and get no issues .

Edited by R62AR33