R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yup we had a shortage of trains on the (7) line now a set from westchester went to Corona does anybody happen to know the set numbers for the train?

From what I've seen, the sets that came from 240th st are all still on the (6) and have been there for about a year now, haven't seen nothing go to the (7) as opposed to the converted R188s.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trains have the same programs as the mainline IRT cars.

Yes, but they probably use R160 code as the software backbone, considering they wanted R188s to use CBTC, code which already exists on some R160s. It's easier to copy the program than to rewrite it.

This sets taken out for testing right, not a new set?

Yes it's a factory set that was taken out for testing. It originally entered service in May 2014 for about a month before it was taken out. The Thales and MTA employees I talked to today said this set won't be in service until 2017, presumably when CBTC goes online.

Yes it's a factory set that was taken out for testing. It originally entered service in May 2014 for about a month before it was taken out. The Thales and MTA employees I talked to today said this set won't be in service until 2017, presumably when CBTC goes online.

Then thats a good sign, means CBTC work will continue and be quick, doesn't matter if its not in service until 2017.

Good question, with the combination of R188s & R62As I thought there was enough trains to make up for service on the (7).

Corona keeps trains in the yard to reduce delays, it makes sense because a lot of times there was situations where there was a (7) or <7> right behind my (7) Local or my train was held for a few minutes due to train traffic.

Corona keeps trains in the yard to reduce delays, it makes sense because a lot of times there was situations where there was a (7) or <7> right behind my (7) Local or my train was held for a few minutes due to train traffic.

If the (7) has more than enough trains to make service why send R62A to Corona when it's going back to Westchester..

LOL Westcheater ^^ :D

I see more converted sets out during rush hour than factory sets, and the day of the 34 St opening Corona Yard was smart enough to put a factory built R188 set as the first train to enter 34th St. It was set 7877.

Edited by Flushing Siete

Is it possible that the (7) could run a 10 car train in case something were to happen?

Yes and it was done with the redbirds. The single cars had no A/C while the married cars did, so often they would run 10 car trains if it got too hot.

Odds of it happening now is almost non-existent, but it did happen