R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

You do notice that Weschtester Yard have enough R62A's for the (4) by itself right ? ,So if a swap ever happened between the (4) and (6) there would be no NTT's on the (4).

Why? I was thinking it'll be more logical to keep all the R142A's confined to 1 yard. in place of Displaced Jerome's R142A's will be R62A's. It's bad enough the (6) has a bad reputation and bad maintainence history so dumping older cars BACK on the (6) is adding insult to injury. At least with more NTTs on the (6) it wont look so bad... Hell, even (7) riders are starting to realize that they're getting "6 train cars" as their upgrade. Edited by VIP

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? I was thinking it'll be more logical to keep all the R142A's confined to 1 yard. in place of Displaced Jerome's R142A's will be R62A's. It's bad enough the (6) has a bad reputation and bad maintainence history so dumping older cars BACK on the (6) is adding insult to injury. At least with more NTTs on the (6) it wont look so bad... Hell, even (7) riders are starting to realize that they're getting "6 train cars" as their upgrade.

Oh well it doesn't matter what we think it was logical for the R62As to return to the (6) . I was saying for future reference if a swap happened there would be no NTT on the (4) since westchester have enough R62As for service. If you think about it the (4) used less trains then the (6) Edited by R62AR33

Both are at Corona, I saw 7491 in the yard and I was told by a friend that 7501 was testing.

7501-05/7506-10 7928 is indeed testing. I assume 7491 with 7927 has already been testing on the Flushing line or hasn't and maybe has some minor issues but again I could be wrong and just assuming things. Haven't been on the (7) for more than two months and to be honest I for certain reasons try to avoid the (7) during the winter months lol.

Even though the thread was created to analyze the R188 car order and conversion of the R142As, it generally also involves the R62As because of the swaps between the (6) & (7). Now if a R142A that is NOT scheduled for conversion work (for ex: 7592 with missed up strip maps) is mentioned than that could be discussed elsewhere but it really doesn't matter. Those R142As on the (6) look beat up anytime I see them so the whole strip map fiasco doesn't surprise me and the brake sounds are horrendous on some of them.

Are they finally gonna send em back to the (1) and be smart to send 1861-1865 wich originally came from Westchester ?

The (6) strip maps are getting removed from the (1) cars 2221-2225

R62A fleet is a scrambled mess already. (65) 1800's on the (1) while (35) are on the (6), 1926 is on the (7) while 1927-1930 is on the 42nd St Shuttle. 1934 on the (7) while 1931-1935 on the (S).

Point is that once the R62As are off the (7) completely, they could rearrange and reorganize the fleet in numerical order which would require converting some of the singles to full width (not all cause some are used as refuge trains during the summer.)

Edited by jon2305

From what I've heard in the past, it derailed on the M track near Hunts Point and the steel body of 1909 as shown above collided with a wall. There's fairly intense curves at either end of that station so maybe the train came in fast on those curves.

Here's another pic from nycsubway.org. Credit Glenn L. Rowe

img_6070.jpg

Edited by jon2305