R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I don't think that's happening. Not only would that be a pointless removal of a helpful service indicator, and a step backwards given the swap seemed to purposefully head to another local-express line, but there have also been so few cases of the LEDs removed on a general scale. It's a car-by-car thing, and even the cars that have them removed often have them on one side (ie, removed on inside, lit on outside).

Apparently the way crews were trained the process is to remove them temporarily for maintenance and then reinstall them. 1719 had the LED Red Diamond stuck and currently it functions properly.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's happening. Not only would that be a pointless removal of a helpful service indicator, and a step backwards given the swap seemed to purposefully head to another local-express line, but there have also been so few cases of the LEDs removed on a general scale. It's a car-by-car thing, and even the cars that have them removed often have them on one side (ie, removed on inside, lit on outside). 

Agreed. As someone who uses the (6) on a daily basis, I have yet to find a former Corona set without the indicator lights and I've been taking the (6) since July. I keep hearing reports of the large scale removal of those lights, but I haven't seen anything to prove that.

Agreed. As someone who uses the (6) on a daily basis, I have yet to find a former Corona set without the indicator lights and I've been taking the (6) since July. I keep hearing reports of the large scale removal of those lights, but I haven't seen anything to prove that.

Question, did you do that sign in your template? If so, it looks amazing.

I second that as well. The (6) carries a very similar local/express service system like the (7), being the only two subway routes with the diamond logo.

The (6) was the obvious candidate for the R62As to go back to because of that reason and of course that's were the converted R142A/R188s are coming from. Those LED signs are very helpful and gives riders heading up to the bronx on the pelham line a fair perspective on where or how the (6) train is traveling to, either a Parkchester Local or Pelham Express on weekdays. If an LED light is removed is probably because is being maintained for re-installment by Westchester shop, that was the case on R62A 1761 this past year.

I think by mid-summer maybe July, the R62As will be of the (7) for good.

I was asking jeez...when is it scheduled to be converted? And what about 7591?

It's okay to ask, not trying to be a a**,  it should be going to Yonkers pretty soon within the next few months. 7591 will not be converted, it will remain as an R142A.

Oh, I see *laughs like a mad scientist while rubbing a cats head*

I'm waiting for 7575 to be sent to Yonkers for conversion still coupled to 7591, which is not supposed to be converted.

I was going to "sit" and watch the results!

Okay!!! This thread just took a weird turn. No pun intended.

If 7551 left like he said with 7555, than it should be 7556-7655 on the (6).

You mean 7651-7655? 7551 has already left for conversion.

I thought 7551-7555 are on the (6) before, seen a few weeks ago, then it's 10 sets then. 

(7556-7655, 7746-7750)

Anyways, 7934-7935 is at the Kawasaki plant. 

Edited by Calvin