R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question; can someone explain how the (MTA) tested R142A's on the (7) in 2003?

At the time the MTA was deciding whether or not the (6) would get the R142A's and at the time the (7) was considered for them but instead they got the R62A's and I'm not exactly 100% sure but I believe it was to make Lexington Ave all NTT's at the time. Someone else probably knows the full story behind it can probably tell you better. The (7) should have gotten them because they had trains from 1964/65 which were 20 years older than than the trains the (6) was using.

At the time the MTA was deciding whether or not the (6) would get the R142A's and at the time the (7) was considered for them but instead they got the R62A's and I'm not exactly 100% sure but I believe it was to make Lexington Ave all NTT's at the time. Someone else probably knows the full story behind it can probably tell you better. The (7) should have gotten them because they had trains from 1964/65 which were 20 years older than than the trains the (6) was using.

I can't remember specifically but I heard that there were some problems.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:06 PM Andrew JC

Complete and utter nonsense. The R142's are in 5 car sets, and the 7 runs 11 car trains.

A 30 tph test was run one day in 2002 on the 7, to see if the line could get by with 10 car trains running more frequently. The test failed. So the R142's, as initially configured, couldn't go to the 7.

Caught an instagram pic of R188 7501/7510/7928 in service.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:06 PM Andrew JC

Complete and utter nonsense. The R142's are in 5 car sets, and the 7 runs 11 car trains.

A 30 tph test was run one day in 2002 on the 7, to see if the line could get by with 10 car trains running more frequently. The test failed. So the R142's, as initially configured, couldn't go to the 7.

Clearance issues in the Steinway tunnel was one of them. Train kept swaying into the tunnel wall

Didn't the R62/As deal with a similar situation when they were being tested on the Flushing line in the 1980s?

the R142A's were considered for the (7) but since there were clearance issues with the steinway tubes and also correct me if im wrong but someone here mentioned before that Corona wasn't equipped at the time to maintain NTTs so they ended up going to Westchester Yard instead Wich is why at the time the R62A's had to leave the (6) till it was time for them to return back.

Edited by R62AR33

Can someone who rides the (7) regularly please check if this is true?

Apparently, we now have two duplicate 6666 cars in NYC. One is the actual R142 6666 that's on the (2) / (5) , and the other one is a fake R188 7924 with a 6666 sticker covering all of the 7924 stickers. 

Can someone check?

Edited by Javier

Apparently, we now have two duplicate 6666 cars in NYC. One is the actual R142 6666 that's on the (2) / (5) , and the other one is a fake R188 7924 with a 6666 sticker covering all of the 7924 stickers.

Can someone check?

You just answered yourself. The real ine on the (2) (caught it today on the (5) when the line went to shit) and the R188 7924 with the stickers.

You'll never find duplicate car numbers in the system, everything computerized.

Can someone check?

Please say that isn't true... some vandal flipped around one of 7922's storm door stickers and it's still upside down to this day. And what I think is a different incident, the yard was forced to replace 7922's number stickers because it seems they were removed. Where did you hear this about 7924?

On another note, the newest conversion set 7501-7928-7510 has weird programming, or one of the cars is off. When I rode it around the time it entered service, the announcements started up later, a few seconds after the doors opened instead of immediately. Then, I rode it today and got on at Grand Central. The conductor used the PA because the program was frozen and the train thought the next stop was Grand Central and the train was still in the tubes. The signs kept saying "Next Stop: Grand Central" until the new conductor programmed it for a Queens bound train at 34th. At Times Square, the announcement came on much later and was cut off when the doors opened. I think this is either a computer glitch or a programming error. I know this happens on R142's sometimes but never have heard it on a 188. 

Edited by Tech And Transit

7928 is in service already? Oooooh this I gotta check out.

I heard it on FB. 6666 on the (7) (actually 7924) will be in service for the rush hour put in from Corona today. (I'm surprised they haven't found out yet or they just don't have time to change it back.) 

On another note, the newest conversion set 7501-7928-7510 has weird programming, or one of the cars is off. When I rode it around the time it entered service, the announcements started up later, a few seconds after the doors opened instead of immediately. Then, I rode it today and got on at Grand Central. The conductor used the PA because the program was frozen and the train thought the next stop was Grand Central and the train was still in the tubes. The signs kept saying "Next Stop: Grand Central" until the new conductor programmed it for a Queens bound train at 34th. At Times Square, the announcement came on much later and was cut off when the doors opened. I think this is either a computer glitch or a programming error. I know this happens on R142's sometimes but never have heard it on a 188. 

Wheel slippage. That and a re-sync problem. If the announcement program plays at the wrong location, it should be reset at the next stop, not while the train is still in motion.

7920 also has the same problem.

I got on 7920 at Hudson Yards today, and immediately when we left Hudson Yards, around the curve it said "THIS IS. TIMES SQ - 42 ST. TRANSFER IS AVAILABLE TO THE blah...blah...etc." After a few seconds the signs updated to say the next stop would be 5th Av. When we got around a half a minute before we entered Times Sq, the announcements said "THIS IS, 5th AV. TRANSFER IS AVAILABLE TO THE (B)(D)(F) and (M) TRAINS." When we entered Times Sq and the doors opened, the signs updated to say the next stop would be Vernon Blvd, but the announcements said the next stop would be Grand Central. Everyone was confused, and it was havoc. I told the conductor, and she didn't know what I was saying. I told her again "your train is out of sync. You need to resync it." and pointed to the TOD behind her. She understood what I meant and resync'd the train. First the train said the next stop would be METS - WILLETS POINT, but then it fixed and said the next stop is 5 Av.

Oh, btw Tech And Transit, 7881 is having program problem heaven!

Question???  How are trains moved from Corona to Westchester yard vise versa?

photo-thumb-2642.png?_r=1383586010 Posted by Lance on 11 May 2014 - 03:13 PM in New York City Subway

Ethan777, on 11 May 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Although the  (7) has that one and only connection to the rest of the subway via the BMT, do R62As still use that connection to go to the  (6)when an R188 comes to replace it? Isn't it quite a troublesome move to get these trains to the Lexington Ave Line? Does the  (MTA) have their own internal set of trailers that can fit individual cars on them and transport to Westchester by road?

So what is the exact route these trains would take during the switching?

Unless otherwise impossible, the car transfers are done via rail through a roundabout trip. From Corona Yard:

1) switch from Flushing line to Broadway line at Queensboro Plaza

2) via Broadway southbound over Manhattan Bridge

3) reverse direction via crossover near Atlantic Av-Pacific St

4) northbound back over Manhattan Bridge via 6th Avenue (north) tracks

5) continue up 6th Avenue to the Bronx and the Concourse Yard

6) to IRT Jerome Avenue line via track connection at Concourse-Mosholu Yards

7) continue back to Manhattan once again via Lexington Avenue line

8) reverse direction at one of various switches along line

9) continue northbound to final destination at Westchester Yard

Sheesh... there really needs to be an FAQ on the forums for questions like this.

photo-thumb-2642.png?_r=1383586010 Posted by Lance on 11 May 2014 - 03:13 PM in New York City Subway

Ethan777, on 11 May 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Unless otherwise impossible, the car transfers are done via rail through a roundabout trip. From Corona Yard:

1) switch from Flushing line to Broadway line at Queensboro Plaza

2) via Broadway southbound over Manhattan Bridge

3) reverse direction via crossover near Atlantic Av-Pacific St

4) northbound back over Manhattan Bridge via 6th Avenue (north) tracks

5) continue up 6th Avenue to the Bronx and the Concourse Yard

6) to IRT Jerome Avenue line via track connection at Concourse-Mosholu Yards

7) continue back to Manhattan once again via Lexington Avenue line

8) reverse direction at one of various switches along line

9) continue northbound to final destination at Westchester Yard

Sheesh... there really needs to be an FAQ on the forums for questions like this.

OMG...Finally got my question answered, I've spoken to a few T/Os, dispatchers and CIs at Westchester & Corona could not get a solid answer.  Makes sense, I saw a 5 set at Broad Channel testing while I was in flag training about over 2 years ago then at Jay St (same set) with the plastic still on the seats heading north on the (A) line.  Just a few months ago I saw an R188 set in the Concourse Yard just sitting pretty waiting to be moved.  Thanks for the info!

OMG...Finally got my question answered, I've spoken to a few T/Os, dispatchers and CIs at Westchester & Corona could not get a solid answer.  Makes sense, I saw a 5 set at Broad Channel testing while I was in flag training about over 2 years ago then at Jay St (same set) with the plastic still on the seats heading north on the (A) line.  Just a few months ago I saw an R188 set in the Concourse Yard just sitting pretty waiting to be moved.  Thanks for the info!

your welcome