R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funny because 1924 is the only car that has the lavender stickers on them but somewhere down the line 240th put red stickers over them

Why dont they get rid of the stickers? Think about it you dont see this sticker system on the NTTs or some of the SMEEs like the R68/As which just like the R62As have been shuffled around certain subway lines for years.

Look at one of the "red stckers" from car 1923, they just decided to cover the top part with Corona lavender as oppose to covering the whole thing.

So apparently, they're adding orange stickers to the ends of R188's, similar to what they're doing with the R143's and R160's currently getting CBTC upgrades on the (L). I rode this set today and saw that 7375 had it's CBTC screen active, which is strange, because the only cars I have seen the screen active in are 7865 and 7866, the CBTC testing cars. I also saw that one of the console screens in the cab was all blue, through the cab door window. This is strange, because, at least to my knowledge, CBTC is not active on the line, and no other sets have been testing with CBTC besides 7860-7870.

Here is the video I took: 

So apparently, they're adding orange stickers to the ends of R188's, similar to what they're doing with the R143's and R160's currently getting CBTC upgrades on the (L). I rode this set today and saw that 7375 had it's CBTC screen active, which is strange, because the only cars I have seen the screen active in are 7865 and 7866, the CBTC testing cars. I also saw that one of the console screens in the cab was all blue, through the cab door window. This is strange, because, at least to my knowledge, CBTC is not active on the line, and no other sets have been testing with CBTC besides 7860-7870.

Just rode that set myself I'm going to look out for other sets that have been testing do you have any idea of when the R62as are supposed to leave the (7)?

The orange sticker on the 188s show that it has CBTC equipment installed and ready for use. All trains with the equipment installed will stay in CBTC Bypass mode.

Idk how the Flushing CBTC is different from our CBTC installation in Singapore because apparently my country's 2 oldest metro lines are getting a CBTC upgrade to Thales SelTrac just like here for Flushing Line.

As far as the Singapore side is concerned, we do sometimes see our train cabs's CBTC screen or in fact what Thales calls it the "Train Operator Display" TOD - switched on. But the screen is switched on with a black background.

This is supposedly known as Shadow Mode in our Singapore system so I wonder if its still the same here for IRT Flushing where you also see the TOD on but CBTC isn't LIVE. 

For brownfield re-signalling projects like here and in Singapore, there would be quite a focus on making sure the legacy signalling can integrate well with the new signalling during this transition period of installation, commissioning and system acceptance.

What Shadow Mode does is that the CBTC equipment (what we know as Vehicle On-Board Controller VOBC) on-board the relevant trains are passively working. They are passively communicating with way-side equipment - the Wayside Radio Units but have no actual control and governance of a train's movement authority. 

This is iirc, 1 way of testing the CBTC equipment without the need to dedicate track and train time to really do full scale testing. Resignalling existing networks aren't easy as you can't impede train ops so thats why such a Shadow or CBTC Bypass mode is the way to go for testing purposes.

But of course eventually, there will be full-scale testing. Btw When is the (7) CBTC going to be commissioned?

Do correct me if I'm wrong with my post stuff here. Thanks~

Edited by Ethan777