R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I know I'm a little late, but I caught the final set with 7936 testing earlier today. I can't believe the order is complete. It seems like yesterday I was reading these forums wondering when the first set of R188s would go into service. Also, 2091-2095 and 2081-2085 were in service with a single, I don't remember the number. 2071-2075 was also in service with a 6 car set of singles. 1901's front rollsign was partially showing the (S) bullet. It wasn't leading, but I do find this strange since 1901-1905 will probably be coupled in a 5 car set and sent to the (6). They'll probably change the sign to the (6) when it gets transferred to Westchester.

7581-7936-7590:

Nice catch! That single was 1902. Glad 2081 still has an RFW... For now

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. The R188 conversion is complete.

To add, 1943/1949 have full-width cabs.

Here's what's weird. 1949 I can confirm has a full cab, but it's not clearly linked in a 5-car set. In the yard today were 1949-1948-1944-1943-1958-1906-1960. 1947 was nowhere to be found. If 1943 does have a full cab, it must still be a single car. Separately 1907-1913-1904 and 1910-1939 were there, while 1902 was in service with E 2085(F)-2081(H)-1902-2095(F)-2091(H) W.

ame='Via Garibaldi 8']

The 6 has always been quicker then the 4/5 imo. The 4/5 have to deal with each other at the Rogers Av Junction where 5s split off to Flatbush, and also when 5s terminate at Bowling Green when 5s have to dump and then rejoin on the northbound side. Then again after 149th Street where 5s join the Lex into 138 Street and into 149th Street lower level. The 4/5 are frequent lines and all it take is for someone to hold a door and you have a problem. There isnt much room for error on the Lex Express even with ATS. When ATS has a problem the Lex turns into a nightmare, which is why I think it was better with the old signal system.

Spot on. The lack of self awareness of one's commute will stall trains no matter how much tech is invested. Riders must remember they're riding PUBLIC transit. If they want to be selfish they can get a car.

Sent from my HTC M8 GPE

???? Mass Transit Honchkrow ????

Which set has the new LED's again? 7908?

And why does 7811 have the old first version of the R188 program since it doesn't display <7> on the interior signs anymore when it's set to the flushing express program? It's now stuck on the (7) local variant at all times (unless the signs stuck.)

The R188's replaced the R62A's of the  (7)  <7> and giving it to the  (6) is a horrible idea. I want and wish for the  (MTA) let the  (6)  <6> use the R142's and R142A's like the  (4) but the  (2)  (5) still use the R142's . But it would be realy awesome if all the R62A's with LED of the  (6)  (7) can be used by the  (1)  (3) trains. And maybe some R188's on the  (1)  (3) considering the  (2) is the only train NTT in the IRT Broadway-7th Avenue line. And the some R62's and R62A's without the LED of the  (1)  (3) trains to be scrapped and be used by some  (2)  (4)  (5) trains. Hope the  (MTA) reads this and makes this come true now 2016, 2017, or in 2018. Or maybe someone who reads this can send it to the  (MTA) as well.

Guys, you know the MTA is putting ne LED signs on the R188 's of the (7). You guys don't believe search it up or I will leave a picture non-animated. It's real, search everywhere, there is even videos about it.

-image-

We all know about it already

The R188's replaced the R62A's of the (7) and giving it to the (6) is a horrible idea. I want and wish for the MTA let the (6) use the R142's and R142A's like the (4) but the (2)(5) still use the R142's . But it would be realy awesome if all the R62A's with LED of the (6)(7) can be used by the (1)(3) trains. And maybe some R188's on the (1)(3) considering the (2) is the only train NTT in the IRT Broadway-7th Avenue line. And the some R62's and R62A's without the LED of the (1)(3) trains to be scrapped and be used by some (2)(4)(5) trains. Hope the MTA reads this and makes this come true now 2016, 2017, or in 2018. Or maybe someone who reads this can send it to the MTA as well.

They would read this and laugh

Which set has the new LED's again? 7908?

And why does 7811 have the old first version of the R188 program since it doesn't display <7> on the interior signs anymore when it's set to the flushing express program? It's now stuck on the (7) local variant at all times (unless the signs stuck.)

Your first post about a sign glitch on 7811 was incorrect, and I'm pretty sure this one is too. 7811 had the new program installed and has never been reverted. It is possible that maybe on of the interior displays is frozen on a specific message as it has happened in other cars but I doubt it.

Guys, you know the  (MTA) is putting ne LED signs on the R188 's of the  (7)  <7> . You guys don't believe search it up or I will leave a picture non-animated. It's real, search everywhere, there is even videos about it.

maxresdefault.jpg

They split the set. I don't what they're coupled to now.

I know this has been asked before I need someone to shed some light in this:

When a R142A is taken OOS from the (6) and taken to Kawaski, what do they do other then add in CBTC in the A cars? And what's the purpose of the C cars?

It was a 6-car set, nothing to split. Probably just coupled elsewhere.

Seen it yesterday evening on the express. It's coupled to a converted set now.

I know this has been asked before I need someone to shed some light in this:

When a R142A is taken OOS from the (6) and taken to Kawaski, what do they do other then add in CBTC in the A cars? And what's the purpose of the C cars?

1. They reconfigure the TOD as well among other things. Pre-conversion, the handle was in the middle of the console so it can be operated with either hand. Now it's moved to the right side like on the 143/160.

R142/142A TOD and control panel:

img_3582.jpg

R188 TOD and control panel:

med_gallery_5138_4_1102507.jpg

2. The C car just makes the train 11 cars. It's nothing more than an additional B car.

Edited by Turtle