R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like they will eventually. I'd say give Corona some time, overall they take care of their fleet better than most of the other IRT depos. Frankly off the R142A's in the (7) are cleaner than those on the (6), and they damage they'd sustained from running on the (6). These cars for the most part are still new to them, I'd say after the R62A's are gone these trains will likely get better through daily maintenance. Or for the very least they won't end up any worse than when they were on the (6).

Putting the converted R142A's on the (7) really damaged (6) service tho. I'm wondering if the line the the (7) really needed to get NTTs from was the (6). Should have been the (4) or (5) IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Putting the converted R142A's on the (7) really damaged (6) service tho. I'm wondering if the line the the (7) really needed to get NTTs from was the (6)

Westchester's maintenance went downhill since there's 6 trains left over as tech trains, and the R62As are converted with the R188 in progess with its full-width cabs. 

Didnt an actual transit employee a while ago cleared up the whole fiasco of a subway yard maintaince and the task at hand...

The (6) is the busiest subway line in the city, one of the busiest in the nation, mostly underground. Logical common sense should be taken on this already.

Didnt an actual transit employee a while ago cleared up the whole fiasco of a subway yard maintaince and the task at hand...

The (6) is the busiest subway line in the city, one of the busiest in the nation, mostly underground. Logical common sense should be taken on this already.

But some other employees confirmed that Westchester at the same time isn't great with taking care of their cars.

Putting the converted R142A's on the (7) really damaged (6) service tho. I'm wondering if the line the the (7) really needed to get NTTs from was the (6). Should have been the (4) or (5) IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

It is statistically verified that R62As have higher dwells and longer station to station running times than the R142/As. Assigning R62As to the 4 would also negatively impact the 5 because any increases in dwell and running time would impact both lines.

Thus, assigning them to the 6 negatively impacts the least amount of people.

Edited by Dj Hammers

The fact of the matter is, someone had to get the older cars. The (2) and (5) were immediately out due to semi-occasional fleet sharing. That only leaves the (4) and (6). DJ Hammers gave the reason for why the (6) was chosen in the post above mine.

In regards to the oft-mentioned claim of maintenance deferment at Westchester Yard, it could be in part, an issue of worker negligence. However, you must still take into account the fact that the (6) is and has been the busiest of the mainlines for a long time. With the amount of trains required for service at any given time, the likelihood of trains getting checked out in a timely manner goes down significantly.

Westchester has always been terrible. R142As would have many unfixed damaged side signs, dirty interiors, and a weird white substance all over the strip maps.

Weird white substance??  Interesting... I never pay attention things like strip maps unless I'm unsure of which stop I'm getting off to be honest and try to avoid touching anything, but still makes you wonder what that substance could be.

Weird white substance??  Interesting... I never pay attention things like strip maps unless I'm unsure of which stop I'm getting off to be honest and try to avoid touching anything, but still makes you wonder what that substance could be.

I think its just dust forming between the clear plastic layer and the actual paper card. The same thing happens to a phone inside a case after a while...

It is statistically verified that R62As have higher dwells and longer station to station running times than the R142/As. Assigning R62As to the 4 would also negatively impact the 5 because any increases in dwell and running time would impact both lines.

Why do the R62As have higher dwell times and running times?

I think its just dust forming between the clear plastic layer and the actual paper card. The same thing happens to a phone inside a case after a while...

Let's hope that's the case.  Supposedly those trains get cleaned inside and out when they overhaul them, but I don't think that happens too often.  What's funny is the (MTA) 's decision to go with light interiors for the newer cars that shows all of the dirt and dust from the HVAC, etc. 

Westchester has always been terrible. R142As would have many unfixed damaged side signs, dirty interiors, and a weird white substance all over the strip maps.

I've noticed this when the R142A's first entered service on the (7) but the Strip maps are all clean now for the most part.

The fact of the matter is, someone had to get the older cars. The (2) and (5) were immediately out due to semi-occasional fleet sharing. That only leaves the (4) and (6). DJ Hammers gave the reason for why the (6) was chosen in the post above mine.

In regards to the oft-mentioned claim of maintenance deferment at Westchester Yard, it could be in part, an issue of worker negligence. However, you must still take into account the fact that the (6) is and has been the busiest of the mainlines for a long time. With the amount of trains required for service at any given time, the likelihood of trains getting checked out in a timely manner goes down significantly.

It still doesn't change the fact that their maintenance is bad, it just justifies it.  <_<

Can the C/R open and close the doors on the 6th car of the train even if it's a full-width cab? (That is if the 5th car can't open/close the doors)

On the (7) the C/R's are required to use the same cab in both directions, because that is where the strip boards are located. The can not open or close doors if they are not aligned with the strip boards, and most stations are too tight for the C/R to align with the strip board from the 6th car. 

Also if the 5th car couldn't close the doors chances are the train would go OOS. 

but the doors open and close faster, and manual announcements are much quicker than the automated... higher dwelling with R62A's? I find it hard to believe.

but the doors open and close faster, and manual announcements are much quicker than the automated... higher dwelling with R62A's? I find it hard to believe.

When the 142s were new the TA bragged about the cars having bigger doors making it easier to exit/board. The 142/As probably have shorter dwell times at busy stations like 42nd and 14th Street.

There are different door motors on the 62s than there are on the 142s (and the rest of the NTT fleet as well). The older cars' doors close faster because of ADA rules if I'm not mistaken. As for the announcements, there is no proof of the automated announcements increasing dwell time. In fact, the failure of the shortened announcement test last year proves otherwise. Busy stations cause holding delays, short announcements or normal ones.

What's the point of faster manual announcements if no one can understand them? There's a reason why news anchors and people who speak for a living don't do so quickly.

I was unaware that the R62as would last into 2017 on the (7). Any idea on when the two last R62as will be transferred to Westchester? Or is this just the postponing of CBTC?

Don't really know either, probably in March/April 2017. What's with the r142a's on the (6), will one of those still be assigned to the (6) even after CBTC is done?