R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really know either, probably in March/April 2017. What's with the r142a's on the (6), will one of those still be assigned to the (6) even after CBTC is done?

The (6) is keeping 7591-7655, CBTC is on 7211-7590. 

Edited by CH3348

but the doors open and close faster, and manual announcements are much quicker than the automated... higher dwelling with R62A's? I find it hard to believe.

the speed at which the doors open/close and the announcements play has no effect on dwell times on the lex.

The limiting factor on dwells on the lex is the crowding; crowding-induced dwells are lower are R142 equipment due to the wider doors, local recycle feature, etc.

Will Westchester yard going to return the R62A  loaner #2221 - #2225 / #2346 - #2350 send it back to 240 street yard  (1)  line.. Why is it being delayed. Because 240 street yard  (1) line have 1 set of R62 from  (3) line... Why Unionport Yard home  (5) line. Have R142 #7081- #7085 from Jerome Yard  (4) . Will Unionport Yard willing to return R142 #7081 - #7085 send back to Jerome yard ...

I've been following this thread since Day One. That being said I have a question directed at two different groups of people. To the people who consider themselves rail fans " what is the obsession on the relative brightness of the car body lights about "? I realize that the "new, shiny factor " comes into play and everyone, including me, would like to see a uniform look throughout the (7) line fleet but the nitpicking seems rather petty to me. The other question is directed at the original posters and my RTO people. SubwayGuy, RTOman, Snowblock, Lance, and AndrewJC probably know where I'm going. Is the CBTC testing being done now or in the near future? I'm asking those of you in the second group because it seems that you understand the big picture. This project is a SIGNALING upgrade first and foremost. The car equipment, whether R142, R142A, R188 or even R62A, ( if it was possible), are NOT the sole or main component of the whole project. To put it in the simplest terms if, after all the fleet transfers and equipment upgrades, the (7) line can't increase the amount of train service and cut headways it adds up to a failure. To me the first group seems to miss the whole reason for project. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

I've been following this thread since Day One. That being said I have a question directed at two different groups of people. To the people who consider themselves rail fans " what is the obsession on the relative brightness of the car body lights about "? I realize that the "new, shiny factor " comes into play and everyone, including me, would like to see a uniform look throughout the (7) line fleet but the nitpicking seems rather petty to me. The other question is directed at the original posters and my RTO people. SubwayGuy, RTOman, Snowblock, Lance, and AndrewJC probably know where I'm going. Is the CBTC testing being done now or in the near future? I'm asking those of you in the second group because it seems that you understand the big picture. This project is a SIGNALING upgrade first and foremost. The car equipment, whether R142, R142A, R188 or even R62A, ( if it was possible), are NOT the sole or main component of the whole project. To put it in the simplest terms if, after all the fleet transfers and equipment upgrades, the (7) line can't increase the amount of train service and cut headways it adds up to a failure. To me the first group seems to miss the whole reason for project. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

While that may be true, the project feels like it's being half assed. Current signals aren't being repaired and are failing daily. "new" trains are coming in looking like trash, the weird lighting is noticed by normal passengers, and it looks like the MTA isn't putting as much effort as they should.

While that may be true, the project feels like it's being half assed. Current signals aren't being repaired and are failing daily. "new" trains are coming in looking like trash, the weird lighting is noticed by normal passengers, and it looks like the MTA isn't putting as much effort as they should.

I seriously doubt that the signals aren't being repaired. If that was even remotely true i can assure you that the feds would shut down the whole line. Are the same signals failing daily? Perhaps that's due to their impending replacement ? I remember a time up at Dyre Avenue (5) where we were re-using "old" White Plains Road and Third Ave El signals because that's the only place we could get "old" IRT signals at the time. Maybe the same thing is happening on the (7) line, Aren't these signals you speak of intended to be the back up signal system after CBTC goes online? I don't know. I happened to notice that the "new" segment of the (Q) along Second Avenue had signal problems today. These things happen. Just how many "new" trains do you think the (7) runs ? IIRC the project included 33 new cars, not trains. Most of the present fleet can hardly be considered new if it's the (6) s hand me downs. Were people complaining about the lighting when the fleet was 100% R62A ? I'm saying to give the whole project time until it's completed before passing final judgement. The fact that you appear to be criticizing an "unfinished" project does appear to be premature, IMO. We're just viewing the present day situation from different perspectives. No problem. Carry on.

I seriously doubt that the signals aren't being repaired. If that was even remotely true i can assure you that the feds would shut down the whole line. Are the same signals failing daily? Perhaps that's due to their impending replacement ? I remember a time up at Dyre Avenue (5) where we were re-using "old" White Plains Road and Third Ave El signals because that's the only place we could get "old" IRT signals at the time. Maybe the same thing is happening on the (7) line, Aren't these signals you speak of intended to be the back up signal system after CBTC goes online? I don't know. I happened to notice that the "new" segment of the (Q) along Second Avenue had signal problems today. These things happen. Just how many "new" trains do you think the (7) runs ? IIRC the project included 33 new cars, not trains. Most of the present fleet can hardly be considered new if it's the (6) s hand me downs. Were people complaining about the lighting when the fleet was 100% R62A ? I'm saying to give the whole project time until it's completed before passing final judgement. The fact that you appear to be criticizing an "unfinished" project does appear to be premature, IMO. We're just viewing the present day situation from different perspectives. No problem. Carry on.

I'll agree on with with waiting on it, but I'm not happy with the current direction it's been going in lately. Hopefully they work out these kinks ASAP because lately (7) is becoming unbearable.  

• 4 weeks later...