R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may seem stupid (and maybe slightly off-topic), but are the five-car R188 sets, or the six-car sets, the leading consists in Manhattan-bound (7) trains?

What I mean is that there only seems to be one C/R board at (7) train stations. In the Manhattan-bound platform, are these C/R boards located five, or six, cars from the front of the train? I'm assuming it's the opposite situation on the Queens-bound platform where the placement of the C/R boards roughly correspond to those on the opposite platform.

I say this because the R188s are the only cars in the system wherein the consists must be ordered in a specific order relative to the train's destination. The R62As are irrelevant here since they are in a 5-1-5 setup, so it doesn't matter which direction an R62A train is oriented in.

Edited by agar io

They are 5-cars heading in the Manhattan direction, the new R188 cars placed in converted R142A sets are placed in the 2nd of the 6 cars of the main st bd direction. The conductor is in the same cab for both journeys. Yea, they roughly correspond to the opposite sides.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They are 5-cars heading in the Manhattan direction, the new R188 cars placed in converted R142A sets are placed in the 2nd of the 6 cars of the main st bd direction. The conductor is in the same cab for both journeys. Yea, they roughly correspond to the opposite sides.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They're trying something different now with the converted 6 car sets. They're "flipping" the set around, so now the C car insert will be the 5th car on the Main St side. 6 car set still facing Flushing though

As I was told by 2 MTA employees, the 7 will become CBTC on Tuesday from 74th Street to Main Street

Seems kind of hard to believe. With two sets of R188s out of service, I doubt they're going to go full CBTC and sideline the multiple trains of R62As they need to run.