R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if the MTA ever DID consider having the R62A's go to either the (2) or (5), I think they learned from these "X to Flatbush" GO's that Flatbush just doesn't work as a two line terminal unless there is flexibility in sending ANY arriving train out on either route. And the (2) and (5) are different enough routes that rollsign changes would be required (not just one destination, but also the bullets), and there just isn't enough time for that. Once one train arrives, the other track immediately gets starting lights, even if it arrived a minute earlier.

With the 62A's on the (6) line, and with the Enrcon LEDs, the only sign changing that would have to be done is Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park on the upper destination, and that can easily be taken care of at the northern terminal by the platform crews (believe me, nobody except for a couple of YOU are going to care if a S/B train goes into service at Parkchester with Pelham Bay on the north sign, as long as it is returning to Pelham going north). Right now, Parkchester trains stay Parkchester trains all day, and a couple of them go to Pelham at the end of the evening rush (these are the all local Pelham runs that get mixed in with the Pelham express and the Parkchester layups) so it won't even be CONSTANT rollsign changes. Besides, nobody reads the rollsigns anyway. If the C/R is announcing that this train is going to Pelham, odds are at least SOME of the customers will listen.

...because it has a full fleet of R142's and R142A's.

And, if the decision is made to place the 7's R62A's on the 4, then the cars currently assigned to the 4 will go to the 6.

(Just like the cars that used to run on the Q were moved to the B, rather than replacing the R40's on the B with R160's on the B.)

Dude, that's a T/O, I think he knows what he's talking about...

I have nothing at all against Snowblock - he's certainly one of the better posters around here - but T/O's don't decide on car assignments.

Perhaps because I've heard from RTO management that this is going to happen??? Why are people so quick to assume that they WON'T be going to the (6)? Other than because they want to foam over the ideas of all the different rollsigns they'll get to photograph?

Rollsigns? I wouldn't give a damn if an R1/9 showed up on the track, as long as it gets me where I am going, fine with me.

That is why I wonder, what is there to beat out of this? In the end, A TRAIN IS A TRAIN!!! We should not care what goes where, we are just the customers. If we were the MTA Board Officials, or whoever has to deal with this, then I see the problem, but we are the customers, and we have to accept the fact that a train is a damn train.

To make an analogy here, you would definitely want to be driven to school in a limo everyday instead of taking a taxi cab. But in the end, the taxi has always been reliable in what it does, and it will still get you to school. I hope that there is atleast one person that can make sense of my point.

Rollsigns? I wouldn't give a damn if an R1/9 showed up on the track, as long as it gets me where I am going, fine with me.

That is why I wonder, what is there to beat out of this? In the end, A TRAIN IS A TRAIN!!! We should not care what goes where, we are just the customers. If we were the MTA Board Officials, or whoever has to deal with this, then I see the problem, but we are the customers, and we have to accept the fact that a train is a damn train.

To make an analogy here, you would definitely want to be driven to school in a limo everyday instead of taking a taxi cab. But in the end, the taxi has always been reliable in what it does, and it will still get you to school. I hope that there is atleast one person that can make sense of my point.

In the short version, customers only care about going from point A to B. Case closed.

And, if the decision is made to place the 7's R62A's on the 4, then the cars currently assigned to the 4 will go to the 6.

Agreed with this, nothing to do with me being obsess with the IRT NTTs or anything but for the aforementioned reasons I (and fewer others) pointed out many times in this thread...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I have nothing at all against Snowblock - he's certainly one of the better posters around here - but T/O's don't decide on car assignments.

No, but we are in direct daily contact with the folk who DO make these decisions. Also, I'm still a C/R (at least for the next couple years....)

Even if the MTA ever DID consider having the R62A's go to either the (2) or (5), I think they learned from these "X to Flatbush" GO's that Flatbush just doesn't work as a two line terminal unless there is flexibility in sending ANY arriving train out on either route.

So I wasn't going crazy when I saw some (2) train cars on the (4) this past weekend during the GO. Nice to know. Well, not for the average passenger, anyway.

If the C/R is announcing that this train is going to Pelham, odds are at least SOME of the customers will listen.

There's also the countdown clocks for good measure. When they work, they work very well. They don't seem to handle schedule padding so well when the train covers a 10-minute segment in 7 minutes, but the system correctly displays the final destination of the trains most of the time...

Even if the MTA ever DID consider having the R62A's go to either the (2) or (5), I think they learned from these "X to Flatbush" GO's that Flatbush just doesn't work as a two line terminal unless there is flexibility in sending ANY arriving train out on either route. And the (2) and (5) are different enough routes that rollsign changes would be required (not just one destination, but also the bullets), and there just isn't enough time for that. Once one train arrives, the other track immediately gets starting lights, even if it arrived a minute earlier.

With the 62A's on the (6) line, and with the Enrcon LEDs, the only sign changing that would have to be done is Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park on the upper destination, and that can easily be taken care of at the northern terminal by the platform crews (believe me, nobody except for a couple of YOU are going to care if a S/B train goes into service at Parkchester with Pelham Bay on the north sign, as long as it is returning to Pelham going north). Right now, Parkchester trains stay Parkchester trains all day, and a couple of them go to Pelham at the end of the evening rush (these are the all local Pelham runs that get mixed in with the Pelham express and the Parkchester layups) so it won't even be CONSTANT rollsign changes. Besides, nobody reads the rollsigns anyway. If the C/R is announcing that this train is going to Pelham, odds are at least SOME of the customers will listen.

The Parkchester sign is literally right under the Pelham Bay Park sign on the cars anyway, whereas to get from the (2) bullet to the (5) bullet you gotta scroll past (3) (13) (4) and <4>. That's time right there, and that's not counting the extra time to scroll from 241 to Dyre on the north terminal.

All that time right there but with the 142s its a simple few taps on the screen and you good to go

Ok, let's be serious here.

I think the mta should have payed more attention towards the retirement of the r32's and r42's and bringing the r179 into revenue service instead of purchasing/converting r188/r142a's. Plus, the r62a's has 20+ years left while the r32's and r42's has about a year or so. At this time, i don't think the r188's are necessary.

"Used to" - Key phrase. Things may or may not have changed quite a bit since you ceased active involvement with the project. So once again, time will tell how things pan out. As much as resurrecting old Adtranz/Bombardier would make my day (my fav propulsion in terms of sound), it just seems more sustainable to manufacture propulsion that the MTA has more of. However, on the same token, the advantage of maintaining the same propulsion across the R188 fleet is also evident.

My involvement ended about 6 months ago. At that time I left, the design was already finalized and procurement and inspections were already going through. I doubt anything has changed since then.

My involvement ended about 6 months ago. At that time I left, the design was already finalized and procurement and inspections were already going through. I doubt anything has changed since then.

I'm willing to believe you dude. We'll know for sure when they start testing (hopefully sometime in the spring next year).

Can someone please explain to me why the (2) and (5) trains are even a discussion in the R188 thread?????

That doesn't mean what he posted is not accurate.....