R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Hem, well I guess it maybe the yard then... that said we will see how Westchester does when they [presumably] get the R62As back. I do hope the R142As that are converted are also fixed up before being sent to the (7).

Ironically theyll probably do better with the 62As.

From my understanding, the R142As will also go through some sort of overhaul (dont quote me on that), so in theory, they should be good as new by the time they hit the (7).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
R160s to the (E) was so the (E) can run 10-car trains. Otherwise the (E) would've had R46s. R142s have the same amount of doors as the R62As. So I still don't see why everyone is thinking the ESRiders are going to have that big of a say on what goes where.

Why would the MTA want to go back to using rollsigns that eats up time at the terminal if they were to swap trains? It makes no sense. Stopping short of inserting those LCDs from the R44s onto the R62As, nothing will make changing signs faster than with the R142s.

2 train: I did say there could be some swaps on the Lex, but I think it would come down to the (4) and (6) - depending on which R142As gets sent out first [youngest to old or vice versa]. Either way I think the (4) will have all the R142As on the mainline so all the Kawasaki cars are consolidated on one line. R142s will likely be bumped over to the (6) to fill the gap.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/irt-2010-12-12.html

After thinking about this again I'm leaning towards the (4)'s R-142A's to leave entirely 7671-7810(7731-7810 has the CBTC or whatever).I mean why send older cars its a near guarntee the (4) will lose 7731-7810 but then rollsigns is an issue for the (4) it has several terminals during the day(Woodlawn,Bedford Park,Burnside,149th) but then again its not a major issue.But if the (4) keeps 7671-7730 then the Bombs should go to the (6) to even out the maintenance and the 62A's go to the (3) sending the cats to the (4) making the (4) fully Kawasaki and the (6) Bombs.But there's still something odd.But we all have2 wait many days.

Ok then, so wait and see.

Why send R62s back to the (4)? It's not like you can interchange parts from an R62 and an R142A. The only thing they share is they were built by the same company. I already told you the (3) has enough R62s to cover its service needs and the (4) being such a demanding line would be hell on the doors. Even some (3) trains have jammed doors every now and then. That would be worse when they return back on the (4).

Why burden yourself about a possibility that won't happen?

So again take your own advice and wait and see.

Ironically theyll probably do better with the 62As.

From my understanding, the R142As will also go through some sort of overhaul (dont quote me on that), so in theory, they should be good as new by the time they hit the (7).

Yeah, I always thought the R62As did pretty well when they were on the (6), so it should be fine.

Good to know.

Other than if the 1/9 switched cars, it was basically the same thing -set north south terminals. The 6 has two distinct northern terminals. Plus I think originally it was always going to be the 2 and the 6 getting new trains from the start.

Now regarding the 3 and 4, the 3 was supposed to get the R142s, but then they decided to bump off the R62s from the 4 to the 3 and give the 4 the R142s. For a demanding line like Lexington Av, the R142s are better suited than the 20+ year old R62s. Plus the 3 being a part time line would be less 'stressful' for the R62s.

When I first heard the (3) were to have R142s originally I was shocked. I thought they changed the plan cause they didn't want new-tech trains running through East New York but then I had to remember that the (3) had their share of getting fresh new trains when R62A's debuted.

Yeah, true. Then again the (4) goes to New Lots late nights and GOs when the (3) doesn't run. So either way R142s will end up there whether it would be the (3) or (4). I was very shocked when I saw pics of R62s on the (3). Back in 2003 when I was starting my railfanning thru the city, I sorta chased/looked out for the R62s on the (3). It was by chance/accident I found one at 96th when I was waiting for a (2).

I asking myself.... why didn't the (6) keep their R62A's during the car swap?

The (7) needed them more. Besides, it was a nice upgrade.

When I first heard the (3) were to have R142s originally I was shocked. I thought they changed the plan cause they didn't want new-tech trains running through East New York but then I had to remember that the (3) had their share of getting fresh new trains when R62A's debuted.

Yeah, true. Then again the (4) goes to New Lots late nights and GOs when the (3) doesn't run. So either way R142s will end up there whether it would be the (3) or (4). I was very shocked when I saw pics of R62s on the (3). Back in 2003 when I was starting my railfanning thru the city, I sorta chased/looked out for the R62s on the (3). It was by chance/accident I found one at 96th when I was waiting for a (2).

Moreover, Livonia yard stores NTTs, which are moved along the (3) during rush hour. Plus Crown Heights is just as crappy a neighborhood.

Other than if the 1/9 switched cars, it was basically the same thing -set north south terminals. The 6 has two distinct northern terminals. Plus I think originally it was always going to be the 2 and the 6 getting new trains from the start.
The (5) and (6) were destined for new-tech trains when looking closely at the datasheets.

R142: http://images.nycsubway.org/cars/datasheet-r142.jpg

R142A: http://images.nycsubway.org/cars/datasheet-r142a.jpg

The (7) needed them more. Besides, it was a nice upgrade.

Not so much the (7) needed them, but the line couldn't handle the R142s due to the voltage [i think]. Also R62As had singles which made it easier to arrange into 11-car sets. Although I believe it was intended to be two 5-car sets and a single before it was one 5-car and 6 singles.

Also, Corona Yard couldn't service the R142s in 2000 when they were new because its barn hadn't been upgraded to handle them. That has since been done and Corona can maintain the 142s now. I figured the R62As currently on the (7) were going to be there temporarily when they started transferring them there in late 2002.

Right, that's true.

Yeah, but the R62As made more sense at the moment since they can be arranged in 11-car trains. The R142/As you have to break up a set and leave a few cars left over [taking 3 cars each from two 5-car sets and leave 2 cars from each leftover]. This R188 order will allow for some singles to be inserted into an existing set so you can have 11-car trains.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa?

Source?

Reliable sources, im not talking any BS though, i did hear once the R142A they get retrofitted, the propullsion might also change, the MTA wants to make it all ALSTOM or near that propullsion. THats why the MTA cancalled the package of siemens for the (F), and just made it Alstom.

Reliable sources, im not talking any BS though, i did hear once the R142A they get retrofitted, the propullsion might also change, the MTA wants to make it all ALSTOM or near that propullsion. THats why the MTA cancalled the package of siemens for the (F), and just made it Alstom.

They Are not going to change the propullsion systems, The R188's are B and C cars, eventhough I think the C cars are singles and they still make the AdTranz propullsion sytem

C cars as in cabs on both ends? And would it be a partial or full cab? Ideally, it should be full width on both ends and then they can just attach it to any part of the train: front, middle, back. Then they won't need to insert it into a 5-car set.

The whole, 'cars must allow people to pass thru them' stuff is not a valid excuse since the MTA approved cops to ticket people crossing b/w cars. People should just change cars when the train is at a station.

They Are not going to change the propullsion systems, The R188's are B and C cars, eventhough I think the C cars are singles and they still make the AdTranz propullsion sytem

From what I've heard, the (MTA) will put the ALSTOM propulsion in the R188s and will eventually retrofit the R142A and R160B Siemens with ALSTOM as well. It sounds stupid but its the cost-effective option available.

From what I've heard, the (MTA) will put the ALSTOM propulsion in the R188s and will eventually retrofit the R142A and R160B Siemens with ALSTOM as well. It sounds stupid but its the cost-effective option available.

Exactly. What's the point of doing this other than uniformity?