R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. What's the point of doing this other than uniformity?

I was given the reason that Alstom was cheaper than Siemens. It makes the (MTA) looks backwards. If you take a look at every other rail system around New York, their cars are being delivered with Siemens propulsion... The PA-5s, the ALP-46As ... It goes on.

I was given the reason that Alstom was cheaper than Siemens. It makes the (MTA) looks backwards. If you take a look at every other rail system around New York, their cars are being delivered with Siemens propulsion... The PA-5s, the ALP-46As ... It goes on.

But why bother replacing what's already there, is what I'm asking. Go ahead and order it for all new equipment if you want, but why replace it on existing equipment? It's just another waste of money unless there's something seriously wrong with the Siemens propulsion.

But why bother replacing what's already there, is what I'm asking. Go ahead and order it for all new equipment if you want, but why replace it on existing equipment? It's just another waste of money unless there's something seriously wrong with the Siemens propulsion.

Easier to service I suppose....

Where did you get that the ALP-46A has Siemens propulsion?? 0__o the locomotive is made by Bombardier and has MITRAC propulsion systems.... The M8's have Mitsubishi propulsion, the Silverliner V's have Hyundai Rotem propulsion, and the 7000 series railcars for WMATA are to be fitted with Toshiba propulsion... so no, not every new railcar being purchased has Siemens propulsion.

When and where did you hear that? Not to be rude, but as things stand over on the R179 threads both here and on railroad.net no company has actually picked up the contract yet, and I would assume that specifications such as propulsion would be hammered out between the company building the cars and the MTA after the contract was awarded. I love the Siemens R143 and R160B propulsion and I would kill to see it (or something similar to it) on the R179. That said, it would probably be better if we avoided jumping to conclusions.

Guest lance25

What's wrong with ALSTOM? I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know why some of you guys don't like it and I'm not big on the propulsion systems.

What's wrong with ALSTOM? I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know why some of you guys don't like it and I'm not big on the propulsion systems.

Every R-160 except 8843-9102(which are Siemens) are annoying with that Alstom Propulsion.I rather deal with the LOUD Bombs on the (2)(4)(5) which also have Alstom but it doesn't repeat itself.

Guest lance25
Every R-160 except 8843-9102(which are Siemens) are annoying with that Alstom Propulsion.I rather deal with the LOUD Bombs on the (2)(4)(5) which also have Alstom but it doesn't repeat itself.

But what's so "annoying" about them? That's not really an answer.

When and where did you hear that? Not to be rude, but as things stand over on the R179 threads both here and on railroad.net no company has actually picked up the contract yet, and I would assume that specifications such as propulsion would be hammered out between the company building the cars and the MTA after the contract was awarded. I love the Siemens R143 and R160B propulsion and I would kill to see it (or something similar to it) on the R179. That said, it would probably be better if we avoided jumping to conclusions.

TA insiders did a study again on which propulsion system are better they find out siemens actually better and/or siemens must have drop the price on propulsion system before things was the other way around.

But what's so "annoying" about them? That's not really an answer.

it actually is an answer.... if you read into his response, he's just saying that the sound that they emit (that high-pitched, squealing sound) is disagreeable... personally i don't really mind much, i find that the fact that it is different from the typical smooth rolling sounds provided by Bombardier and Siemens propulsions is refreshing, although i can understand why after over 2000 cars have been equipt with Alstom propulsion, railfans would like to see some more variety... hope that explains it a little better...

Personally Siemens have a better sound.Which ever propulsion the R142A's have cannot handle 3rd rail gaps.They buck like a fat prostitute on top.Its like when Airline companies order a fleet of planes,the customer has a choice of engines to choose from various manufactures like GE,SNECMA,Pratt & Whittney,Rolls Royce.Im not sure if it works the same with Mass transit orders.

They're not annoying really. I enjoy the Musical note power up. lol

Arent they faster than Siemens though?

The Siemens units actually give an impression of being faster, probably because of the louder sound... the difference, however, is probably negligable unless you are operating two sets of different propulsion.

The Siemens units actually give an impression of being faster, probably because of the louder sound... the difference, however, is probably negligable unless you are operating two sets of different propulsion.

Apparently the Alstom/Siemens train was faster than it should be, according to some sources on this forum. I personally have not noticed any difference in speed between the Siemens and Alstom trains when running under normal circumstances. If there is its barely noticeable.

Apparently the Alstom/Siemens train was faster than it should be, according to some sources on this forum. I personally have not noticed any difference in speed between the Siemens and Alstom trains when running under normal circumstances. If there is its barely noticeable.

I heard too that when R160A's are mixed with R160B-alstoms, the trains are faster too... idk where this is coming from though.... seems interesting.. once again though... probably too negligable for the average person to notice...

During the snowstorm last December while daringly riding the (Q) to Coney Island that night we noticed a Siemens set of R160s on the opposite track trucking through the snow without too much trouble, as opposed to our train, which was an Alstom-equipped unit and had small difficulties navigating.

I don't mind the Alstoms, but I do love the rolling sound of the Siemens and the AD Tranz units...