R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the R-62s on the (7) but the R-188s are absolutely smoother and pick up speed quicker. I was doing 12MPH in the yard and it felt like I was doing 4... the trick to make sure you can keep the train wrapped going back on the upgrade in the tube has to be tuned for this equipment–I had to go Full Service going Northbound.

I guess it's not unlike the performance difference between the Bombardier and Kawasaki equipment... figure out the acceleration and brakes after a couple of stops and you're good to go

Edited by FriedChikkin

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the R-62s on the (7) but the R-188s are absolutely smoother and pick up speed quicker. I was doing 12MPH in the yard and it felt like I was doing 4... the trick to make sure you can keep the train wrapped going back on the upgrade in the tube has to be tuned for this equipment–I had to go Full Service going Northbound.

I guess it's not unlike the performance difference between the Bombardier and Kawasaki equipment... figure out the acceleration and brakes after a couple of stops and you're good to go

There theoretically shouldn't be, but I wonder if there would be any operational difference between the refurbed sets and the completely new sets.

How long are they gonna be training you guys?

Guest Lance

Westchester should take the (7) line strip maps off of what ever of their R62As that still has them , some riders ask if their on a (6) or (7) train even though all they have to do is read .

People need to pay attention and stop acting like they need their hands held for everything. Yeah, the line maps are wrong, but it's really not that difficult to discern whether the train's a 6 or 7.

Edited by Lance

Copy that agent NYtransit sir! Yes we need an answer from the MTA corporal FriedChikken to this fundamental question for the obvious reasons, so that the NYCTF photographer corps can put into actions the wel planned out scouting mission to get those pics of the R188s and report back to base with the briefing to the sergeants and NYCTF politicians.

Edited by realizm

They're qualifying (7) line crews and Extra Extra/Extra List people for now... it's up to the Assistant Chief Transportation Officer of the (7) line and School Car but I can't imagine it taking more than two months to qualify everyone.

There theoretically shouldn't be, but I wonder if there would be any operational difference between the refurbed sets and the completely new sets.

Completely new sets? Save for the C car of the six car sets they're all refurbished. The C car of the five car units are also refurbished. It also doesn't feel like operating a (6) at all, everything is super smooth–it doesn't buck while braking or taking power.

Edited by FriedChikkin

Hence the revenue D-day for R188 revenue service as per word of mouth of two fellow T/Os and official MTA powerpoints presented here pushed to mid August to September without appropriate tst trackage (Sandy) as of yet for the Conditional Acceptance tests, hence the reforecast to March 2014.

Edited by realizm

People need to pay attention and stop acting like they need their hands held for everything. Yeah, the line maps are wrong, but it's really not that difficult to discern whether the train's a 6 or 7.

If a 2 strip map on a 5 train isn't a big problem, even though the most prominent indication of the line is on the strip map, then a 7 strip map on a 6 train certainly isn't a big problem, since the large 6 bullet in the window is much more prominent than the strip map.

Completely new sets? Save for the C car of the six car sets they're all refurbished. The C car of the five car units are also refurbished. It also doesn't feel like operating a (6) at all, everything is super smooth–it doesn't buck while braking or taking power.

The R188 order includes 88 fully new 11-car trains, plus 38 existing 10-car trains converted to 11-car trains.

Hence the revenue D-day for R188 revenue service as per word of mouth of two fellow T/Os and official MTA powerpoints presented here pushed to mid August to September without appropriate tst trackage (Sandy) as of yet for the Conditional Acceptance tests, hence the reforecast to March 2014.

Sorry, I'm not following - reforecast of what?

In all honesty, I'm not in a rush to ride the R188s given they are little to no different than the R142A cars. Whenever they start service, then I'll maybe go out and catch it.

Be careful, that kind of thinking could give some people a stroke ;)

The R188 order includes 88 fully new 11-car trains, plus 38 existing 10-car trains converted to 11-car trains.

That should be 8 fully new trains (88 cars' worth), of course.

Reforcast of conditional acceptance testing according to the pdf scans presented here: 

Conditional acceptance of of the 8 new trains. Thanks.

In all honesty, I'm not in a rush to ride the R188s given they are little to no different than the R142A cars. Whenever they start service, then I'll maybe go out and catch it.

Ill just ride the R188s if i have to go to flushing and I some how catch one . 

It's going to be interesting seeing the R-188s on the 7 line.

Why the train is basicly seccond hand R142As wich you can ride on the (4) or (6) , at any time right now. If anything you should ride the (6) and enjoy the R142As because there will be very little left with the R62As soon dominating the line.

Why the train is basicly seccond hand R142As wich you can ride on the (4) or (6) , at any time right now. If anything you should ride the (6) and enjoy the R142As because there will be very little left with the R62As soon dominating the line.

Better yet, ride the R62As on the (7) while those are still there and cherish those RFWs. 

Before getting to school to take care of further enrollment of classes and take care of financial aid issues the R188 showed up again @ 5th Ave. The consist only makes one round trip before returning to Corona Yard. Between 10-10:30 AM and 12PM, the train is making the run to/from Times Square, Monday thru Friday

I made a video and posted it on youtube, I guarantee you will find this interesting.

Link can be found here (Reoccurring glitch in the IP Board hosting software from it's Adobe Flash issues I'm assuming is forcing me to link only the site address, many photographers yesterday had the same problem):

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ruxrBPoZp4o

Apparently the FIND system is not installed yet. It's supposed to feature one.

Edited by realizm

Before getting to school to take care of further enrollment of classes and take care of financial aid issues the R188 showed up again @ 5th Ave. The consist only makes one round trip before returning to Corona Yard. Between 10-10:30 AM and 12PM, the train is making the run to/from Times Square, Monday thru Friday

I made a video and posted it on youtube, I guarantee you will find this interesting.

Link can be found here (Reoccurring glitch in the IP Board hosting software from it's Adobe Flash issues I'm assuming is forcing me to link only the site address, many photographers yesterday had the same problem):

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ruxrBPoZp4o

Apparently the FIND system is not installed yet. It's supposed to feature one.

Here it is.

There are holes where the strip map would be which is where the lights would be for the strip. You can see it 54 seconds into the video.

At the end of the video one of the workers is smiling at you from the inside of the train. Nice video!