R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which makes me question why were cars 1651-1670 are singles after having full width cabs if they are probably next in getting full width cabs again. Guess it was just a last minute thing or some sort.

Only the 1901-2150s were singles. Why would a 1600s set be singles if they are linking up the 2000-2100s into 5 car sets?

Well, I checked for the R62A's that were converted and yes indeed 1995 has a full width cab. Funny how fellow bros 1991 and 1996 still don't have full width cabs. 1991-2000 with 1919 in the middle were running together and 1995 was the ONLY car with a full width cab in that set. 1995 was on the conductor side with 1991 leading the way Manhattan-bound.

Why would R62A's be used for work trains they are not that old yet. I can see maybe something like the R46's being used since they are almost 40 years old.

The R46 can't go everywhere, that's why all work trains are pretty much built to A division specs. They may keep some 62As as singles and keep rotating them between work (rider cars, mules for car transfers, etc) and regular service

Why would R62A's be used for work trains they are not that old yet. I can see maybe something like the R46's being used since they are almost 40 years old.

If you didn't realize. The R46s cannot run on A division track as the tunnel and platforms only allow for a clearance of a train that's 8 feet wide. The R46s run in the B division where clearances are 10 feet wide like the R46 itself.

There's always a need for miscellaneous equipment other than work diesels and the Redbirds are extremely difficult to maintain at this point.

Neither can they take certain curves on the A division they will derail. On top of that they can sideswipe columns, IRT cars, and walls in the tunnels. Try a 10 car R46 consist through the South Ferry Loop or Union Square, forget the WPR, it wouldn't be too pleasant to watch.

But the R46s:

* Don't fit on the A-division

* May not be able to fit on the A-division curvatures (51'-64' max)

* Are a vital part of the B-division fleet (barely any surpluses), unlike the R62As, which will probably be in surplus after the R188s come in.

* Are unnecessary additions since there are 10 R32 work cars anyway.

WPR can be taken off that list because had the SAS been completed as planned, WPR would be B Division right now.

Actually the plans changed in terms of engineering studies if that's what you read because I've seen it, it requires a newly built line. The IND second system didn't even plan for that if you think about it in terms of line acquisition and spacial dimension requirements. However it can be extended to the Dyre Ave line from a new line from the SAS as the IRT line is technically built to commuter railroad specifications as the line is not technically built by the IRT, it was built by the New York, Westchester and Boston Railway. It was added on by the NYCTA years later after unification. The WPR on the flip side is locked in to IRT specifications as the IRT built the WPR. even the Pelham Bay park line cannot accommodate B division cars. it was built as part of the dual contracts true but the IRT hired it's own contractors, building it to its' specifications to cockblock the BMT.

There's a method to August Belmont's madness vs. Mervin Dahl.

Edited by realizm

Anything built during the Dual Contracts can fit B Division trains with slight modification. That includes the WPR above Tremont Avenue.

The thing is the IRT portions of the line(s) was built by IRT contractors to IRT specifications as part of the Dual Contract deal in it's entirety minus Dyre Avenue. That's what I was trying to say. Including the Lex past 42nd Street Grand Central.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/The_Dual_Contracts

Edited by realizm

I'm not even gonna commet on A B division differences.The R62As are singles so they can do work service but imagine R46 in garbage service: 4 R46,3 or 4 garbage flatcars and 1 or 2 R127.Way too long.No other transit system uses more than one revenue car in a work train except CTA because their cars are married pair

The thing is the IRT portions of the line(s) was built by IRT contractors to IRT specifications as part of the Dual Contract deal in it's entirety minus Dyre Avenue. That's what I was trying to

say. Including the Lex past 42nd Street Grand Central.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/The_Dual_Contracts

Actually it was built as BMT then when it changed midconstruction they just extended the platform edge inward so if you shaved the platform a B division car could run there

Well I can see where LTA is coming from because historically what is now the 4th Ave line between 36th and Dekalb Ave, before the Bay Ridge portion of the line, or the Sea Beach, and the West End elevated line (built from scratch to replace the surface railroad) ,  was built originally was supposed to go to the IRT but was in a legal tangle with the BMT, so the City of New York built it to B division specs.

However that trend in construction stopped starting with the construction of the Lexington Ave line all the way into the Bronx  from the original IRT Lafayette Ave line which now is considered the Lexington Ave Line by MTA designation. *whew history can be complicated*

Edited by realizm

I would see singles from the 42 Street shuttle taking over. Some singles from the 42 Street shuttle are work cars already, although there is a R62A single from Corona yard as a work car sitting at the 207 Street yard.

I would see singles from the 42 Street shuttle taking over. Some singles from the 42 Street shuttle are work cars already, although there is a R62A single from Corona yard as a work car sitting at the 207 Street yard.

The shuttle has its own 20 cars put aside from the mainline trains

Some cars have been linked as 3 car sets. I do agree those could be used, but as stated, those 20 cars are set aside for the S specifically. 

I'm not even gonna commet on A B division differences.The R62As are singles so they can do work service but imagine R46 in garbage service: 4 R46,3 or 4 garbage flatcars and 1 or 2 R127.Way too long.No other transit system uses more than one revenue car in a work train except CTA because their cars are married pair

Actually it was built as BMT then when it changed midconstruction they just extended the platform edge inward so if you shaved the platform a B division car could run there

Well there are AA R46 pairs, so at most it'd be 2 pairs on each end. And you have the R68 singles on the Franklin S. But we already have R32s for that so we don't even need the R46s for such a task (and of course those 75' cars won't fit on Eastern division). But that said yes R62As will do.

Doesn't matter about age, these would be the 'oldest' cars left that can fit both divisions and still have singles. Each car has a/c which is something the R127/134s don't have. So they probably won't need to run the R32s for garbage duty.

Edited by Grand Concourse

But the R46s:

* Don't fit on the A-division

* May not be able to fit on the A-division curvatures (51'-64' max)

* Are a vital part of the B-division fleet (barely any surpluses), unlike the R62As, which will probably be in surplus after the R188s come in.

* Are unnecessary additions since there are 10 R32 work cars anyway.

Sorry to everyone I forgot that the trains had different lengths.