Amtrak CEO warns Hudson River Tunnels will shut down within 20 years

mfs NJT459

An instafix create a bridge for cars from NJTP to Manhattan then convert the Lincoln into a rail tunnel and new tracks to existing NEC in Manhattan and NJ. OR simply build new tunnels for Amtrak and NJT 4 tracks and a union city station. No need for nonsensical (7) to NJ.

That has to be the most absurd idea ever

An instafix create a bridge for cars from NJTP to Manhattan then convert the Lincoln into a rail tunnel and new tracks to existing NEC in Manhattan and NJ. OR simply build new tunnels for Amtrak and NJT 4 tracks and a union city station. No need for nonsensical (7) to NJ.

8amu9uhy.jpg

That is anything but an "instafix".

Times like this I really hate the fat man in Trenton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continuing from my last post, I'm surprised Christie never even bothered to think of the long term effects of his decision to scrap ARC. It's like this dude hates transit and wants to make it worse for his 75% of his state's population who commutes to NYC daily. I understand it ran over budget, but you gotta choose what's more important. Your taxpayers or looking good for your conservative buddies. I'd choose my taxpayers. It's taxpayers over everything, even a turkey sandwich with the greatest mayo of all time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I been say that for years once they proposed the 7 extension. PANYNJ could build a new PABT in Secaucus with cross transfers to the 7. The sale of the current PABT land would be used for part of the cost of the new projects. Chris Christie is a tool for canceling the new NEC tunnel project. I think at least if you can not afford a new pair of tunnels is to just build one new tunnel. Once finished will allow each of the current tunnels to be rebuilt one at a time while keeping current service. 

Well NJT is expected to receive (if they haven't already got it) some more funding to upgrade infrastructure. Hopefully the next governor after Christie will be smart enough to put money towards resuming ARC and NJT could split the cost. I mean come on, how long does it take to build a pair of tunnels?

Well NJT is expected to receive (if they haven't already got it) some more funding to upgrade infrastructure. Hopefully the next governor after Christie will be smart enough to put money towards resuming ARC and NJT could split the cost. I mean come on, how long does it take to build a pair of tunnels?

Planning and construction should take 10-15 years at most.

I been say that for years once they proposed the 7 extension. PANYNJ could build a new PABT in Secaucus with cross transfers to the 7. The sale of the current PABT land would be used for part of the cost of the new projects. Chris Christie is a tool for canceling the new NEC tunnel project. I think at least if you can not afford a new pair of tunnels is to just build one new tunnel. Once finished will allow each of the current tunnels to be rebuilt one at a time while keeping current service. 

Please stop.

They should build like a massive 6-8 track tunnel, if worse comes to worse and both tunnels have to be shutdown.

Tracks 1 to 4: Amtrak/NJT

Track 5: PATH Eastbound

Track 6: PATH Westbound

I know you'll hate me but,

(Optional) Tracks 7&8 - (7) line extension.

They should build like a massive 6-8 track tunnel, if worse comes to worse and both tunnels have to be shutdown.

Tracks 1 to 4: Amtrak/NJT

Track 5: PATH Eastbound

Track 6: PATH Westbound

I know you'll hate me but,

(Optional) Tracks 7&8 - (7) line extension.

Why bring in PATH if they own their own tunnels?

This is a scare static, the PATH, NYC Subway even the East River LIRR/Amtrak tunnels are just as old yet you don't hear about them shutting down in 20 years.

How many months is the montague tunnels are closed for repair?

How many months was the greepoint avenue tunnels closed for? How long are they closed for this time?

How many tunnels are going to be closed once the the montague tunnels open? (cranberry)

How much work is done with GO and closing for the weekend?

I don't think it's dramatic one bit. NJT runs how many trains are each day? Amtrak doesn't have the luxury to send trains via another tunnel to do repair piece meal. So if they do shut down one tube, it drops the capacity to 4 tph in each direction. That would kill NJT. I don't think Amtrak would give up slots out of the kindness of their hearts. So amtrak is stuck. they need another crossing to even shut this one down to do proper repairs.

How many months is the montague tunnels are closed for repair?

How many months was the greepoint avenue tunnels closed for? How long are they closed for this time?

How many tunnels are going to be closed once the the montague tunnels open? (cranberry)

How much work is done with GO and closing for the weekend?

I don't think it's dramatic one bit. NJT runs how many trains are each day? Amtrak doesn't have the luxury to send trains via another tunnel to do repair piece meal. So if they do shut down one tube, it drops the capacity to 4 tph in each direction. That would kill NJT. I don't think Amtrak would give up slots out of the kindness of their hearts. So amtrak is stuck. they need another crossing to even shut this one down to do proper repairs.

Probably mean lots of Cross Honoring to Buses at PABT...Amtrak...not so much

Probably mean lots of Cross Honoring to Buses at PABT...Amtrak...not so much

LOL with what capacity? AFAIK, there isn't much spare capacity at ANY of the crossing methods to get into the city. Rail is at capacity. Traffic is already a nightmare into PABT during the morning rush. This is why there needs to be redundancy in the form of Gateway that needs to be completed before a prolonged outage of any one of the original Hudson tubes for major maintenance and repair is necessary.

... Oh, and it's highly doubtful that the 7 is getting extended into NJ any time soon. MTACC already has enough trouble with ESA, SAS, the current 7 extension, and Fulton Street as it is. Any talk of the 7 going to NJ is a pipe dream, so let's stop fantasizing about that one.

LOL with what capacity? AFAIK, there isn't much spare capacity at ANY of the crossing methods to get into the city. Rail is at capacity. Traffic is already a nightmare into PABT during the morning rush. This is why there needs to be redundancy in the form of Gateway that needs to be completed before a prolonged outage of any one of the original Hudson tubes for major maintenance and repair is necessary.

... Oh, and it's highly doubtful that the 7 is getting extended into NJ any time soon. MTACC already has enough trouble with ESA, SAS, the current 7 extension, and Fulton Street as it is. Any talk of the 7 going to NJ is a pipe dream, so let's stop fantasizing about that one.

More like LSD fueled pipe dream. Reroute trains to Hoboken and hire pushers for the buses,ferry lines & PATH suck it up and own the problem preferably during summer months and holidays. Let MTA help out by sending some buses to NJ temporarily till work is done sorry subway haters you gonna have to deal with the pain for a while. Upgrade buses via gwb and have em serve the east side hopefully with a HOV.

• 1 month later...

Update: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/nyregion/repairs-to-new-york-tunnels-will-limit-rail-service.html

TBH: I think Amtrak should get the (MTA) crew to do tunnel repairs, cuz of the way they fix and fortified the Montague (R) tunnel

I think (NJT) Crew, Amtrak Crew, (MTA) Crew, PANY&NJ Crews, NYCDOT, NYSDOT, USDOT, NJDOT to work together.

Another alternative if Hudson River Tunnel tube is shutdown, PATH train and NJT should cross over Amtrak ticket at Newark Penn Station, New York Penn Station 33rd St-6th Av, 42nd St-Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Sq Complex, 34th St-Penn Station for NYC Subway, and Grand Central.

Update: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/nyregion/repairs-to-new-york-tunnels-will-limit-rail-service.html

TBH: I think Amtrak should get the (MTA) crew to do tunnel repairs, cuz of the way they fix and fortified the Montague (R) tunnel

While that sounds like a good idea, I don't think it can be done. Commuter train tunnels and Subway tunnels are two different types of track and equipment. A subway crew probably isn't certified to work with overhead catenary, which is something that also needs repair In those tunnels.

• 8 months later...

Christie is running for President, if one of the Hudson river tunnels get shut down, the nightmare will be his fault

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/06/the_nightmare_that_awaits_nj_if_a_hudson_rail_tunnel_is_forced_to_close.html#incart_river

If he gets elected president, the tunnels won't be the only thing needing repairs in the Public Transportation sector. The ENTIRE Northeast Corridor rail network could be next.

Christie fails to realize that his decision to cancel ARC had consequences that affected not only NJ, but PA, DE, MD, and DC. A lot of NYC commuters also come from Philadelphia, Delaware and the DMV too, be it by Amtrak or SEPTA/NJT, or Greyhound/Bolt/Megabus, although the latter will only be affected by the extra traffic.

Its time to stop kicking the can.

Archived