Cuomo seeks 'reinvention' of transit system - Crain's New York Business

realizm

unionsquare1_zps03bb5f55.jpg

Photo: Buck Ennis

Updated: May 7, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to reinvent the mass-transit system. But first he wants a commission to recommend how.

Mr. Cuomo sent a letter to Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman and CEO Thomas Prendergast Wednesday calling for the creation of a “transportation reinvention commission” consisting of “international transportation experts” selected by the agency to explore ways to modernize and improve the region’s transit system. The panel should hold public meetings and submit a plan in advance of the MTA’s next capital plan, due this September, the governor wrote.

Mr. Prendergast agreed to form the panel.

The governor indicated that the authority’s next capital plan should include “a reinvention plan to make our subways and our entire transit system are ready for the challenges of the next century.”

“We have been operating the same subway system for the last 100 years,” Mr. Cuomo wrote. “The next 100 years, however, look radically different for New York.”

He continued: “The clear evidence of a changing climate in our nation makes more major storms like Superstorm Sandy a real and present threat. Increasing population, demographic shifts and record ridership pose new challenges to operating and maintaining our existing mass transit network, meeting and exceeding New Yorkers’ expectations, and spurring the continued growth of New York’s economy. Already, there are more than 8.5 million riders—more than the entire population of New York City—using MTA trains and buses every day.”

It’s unclear whether the recent derailment of an F train in Queens or the tentative agreement on a contract with the transit workers union helped move Mr. Cuomo to request a master plan. Also, the nonprofit Straphangers Campaign released a report analyzing service disruptions that found that nearly 4,000 equipment failures in 2013 prompted MTA alerts last year, a 35% increase over 2011.

Read More: Source

=============================================================================

Inserted is a letter from Governor Andrew Cuomo to MTA head Tom Prendergast:

1-5ae643abc2_zps4a9ed58f.jpg

2-b596689a6d_zps7b00482c.jpg

We've had like 20 different commissions since the end of the Pataki administration say the same goddamn thing; we need more regional funding for MTA, whether it be tolls, taxes, fees, or something, because funding is not increasing in line with demand.

Watch him disband this panel the moment he gets reelected, just like how he disbanded his own anticorruption board for being too aggressive.

Watch him disband this panel the moment he gets reelected, just like how he disbanded his own anticorruption board for being too aggressive.

Ding ding ding. When did you get so smart? :D This is all election-year tactics. Nothing more, nothing less.

This sort of taxpayer funded dog and pony show crap is why politicians at every level of government no longer accomplish anything of any substantial value to anyone except the very rich (tax cuts) anymore.

Bingo. Thats pretty much the case here in the Big Apple on many levels.

Ding ding ding. When did you get so smart? :D This is all election-year tactics. Nothing more, nothing less.

So is the "we work for the people" footer on the first page. I get a feeling that these panels will do nothing more than divert money away from actual transit services to pay for all these fancy "consultants". I may not live in New York, but in Toronto I have seen first-hand how this has destroyed our transit system and left it behind the times. I just hope that your system in New York with the MTA, which we see as "world-class", does not experience the same fate in the future.

The sad part is that, like the anticorruption panel, under different circumstances it would be welcome and very useful. This is just a nasty wolf in sheep's clothing.

The fact that Los Angeles is committing more to capital expansion than we are is something we should not take sitting down.

What a f**king dick. The MTA already has their capital plan, they just need the funding. I'm sure this study will bring forth very important data, hahahahaha. Of course the media will eat it up since they don't give a f**k either (they all drive everywhere). Amazing how this a**hole has completely seized control of the state and there is not a single way to get someone who gives a shit in charge.

What a f**king dick. The MTA already has their capital plan, they just need the funding. I'm sure this study will bring forth very important data, hahahahaha. Of course the media will eat it up since they don't give a f**k either (they all drive everywhere). Amazing how this a**hole has completely seized control of the state and there is not a single way to get someone who gives a shit in charge.

New York state government has always been controlled by an old boys club. Cuomo's just another person at the top of this terrible machine.

New York state government has always been controlled by an old boys club. Cuomo's just another person at the top of this terrible machine.

Spitzer was cool, but he was tough on Wall Street and they had his ass kicked out real quick.

Spitzer was cool, but he was tough on Wall Street and they had his ass kicked out real quick.

Spitzer unfortunately went way too far in the other direction, to the point where nothing in the State was getting done at all. Had he stayed longer he might've been able to break the old boys' club, but that would've just resulted in an omnipotent Governor.

It's sad that the most promising anti-corruption initiative was a Cuomo commission that got dismantled in a budget deal. Until it got shut down, it was issuing subpoenas to all firms employing current legislators (state legislators are considered part-time workers, because once upon a time they were)

Spitzer unfortunately went way too far in the other direction, to the point where nothing in the State was getting done at all. Had he stayed longer he might've been able to break the old boys' club, but that would've just resulted in an omnipotent Governor.

It's sad that the most promising anti-corruption initiative was a Cuomo commission that got dismantled in a budget deal. Until it got shut down, it was issuing subpoenas to all firms employing current legislators (state legislators are considered part-time workers, because once upon a time they were)

I got dismantled cause it got a little too close to catching ole Andy fudging something, you can bet the farm on that. f**king NY Democrats put this a**hole up and now we're stuck with him. Schneiderman seemed nicer. Cuomo is just a prick trying to claw his way to the top with zero regard for the people that elected him. Some progressive.

Listening to the insightful comments (no flattery) this is what my consensus is on this nonsense:

1) He doesn't know what hes talking about in terms of NYC transit history. he says: "We have been operating the same subway system for the last 100 years”. That is not correct. Nonsense.

What about the Dual contracts of 1914? How about the start of the MTA Plan For Action in 1968 when the Christie Street connection was open for passenger service? What about the new high tech cars we have today as compared to 50 years ago? Ummm CBTC anyone? What about the implementation of the IND system in the 20th Century ending with the Rockaway Line? What about the opening of the 60th Street Tunnel/QBL connection? Speaking of which the 63rd Street Line and the QBL connection there? What about the number of improvements made to infrastructure and station renewals? What about construction of the SAS and the 7 extension? 

He really needs to do his research. A real politician would actually carefully examine the issues with the MTA instead of flapping like a duck. Worried about the MTA of tomorrow? What about today?! If you want to worry about tomorrow get the damn funding to get phase 2 of the SAS going like NOW. And get the much needed improvements going in the MTA without handouts from FEMA for so called fix and recover sandy projects. Three years for the new SF station to be rebuilt? Give me a break.... it should be faster than that. So where is the money really going then to speed up the process? In his pocket?

2) Yeah improving inner borough NYC Transit/MTA regional Bus Transit needs? Yeah sure. What about the killed Woodhaven Blvd ROW conversion to rapid transit operation? Rapid Bus Transit will never compare to what a subway line can do. And yeah the MNRR penn station access project? Does that realistically serve the needs of New York residents as opposed to the now dead to hell Triboro RX project? Laughable. All politics....

What about much needed service increases in the Bronx? Hows that as something to muse on....

How about fixing the F problems as regards to sporadic service? I would imagine that would be a issue that needs to be dealt with. But that will never happen..... watch... dont hold your breaths for nothing more then more fare hikes....

How about reinstating the W ? The headways on the BMT Broadway Line as of now is ridiculous. I can see the cobwebs forming as I wait for my train out of 14th Street....

The Chambers Street station will cave in! Overhaul the damn station. Oh waitaminute.... The M to Essex on weekends only? Are you kidding me?

What about the 3 and the desperately needed overhauls on the New Lots Ave line? The stations looks like crap....

How about additional service on the BMT 4th Ave line? I can feel cobwebs forming on me as I wait centuries for the R. R for ridiculous....

Oh the buses, B44 select bus service anyone? And hes worried about rapid bus service? How about SBS service? Or did that happen to escape his mind. Brooklyn gets screwed again.... hes too worried about MNRR Penn Station access for Connecticut commuters.... What about the ESA project for Long Island and Queens commuters? Hello?

Boy I can go on and on with this...

3) His colleagues in the Albany cabinet already stole money from the MTA resulting in the blasted 2010 budget cuts. Old news, we were robbed.

4) He is set to shine to win during elections. Pretty obvious to me as many here as stated. Betcha he will drop this panel like a rock once he is reelected. 

And ppl wonder why I dont vote. These politicians are full of hot air. That means Bloomberg and DeBlasio to Bush and Obama. Liars and puppets catering to the 'special' interest groups. In this case the elitist NIMBYs where it pertains to transit. Please....

I'm done!

Archived