MTA has found five defective subway rails since inspections stepped-up

User

They are. The CCC in conjunction with Track and Signals Division are planning to install continuous welded rail along the IND Queens Blvd Line in 2015 as the original articles point out as a reminder. In the tunnels they are utilizing proxy/concrete ties in certain places already in areas such as the 53rd Street tubes and now the Greenpoint tubes:

They will look like this-

tracks.jpg?w=470&h=313

3_large.jpg

5_large.jpg

Source: MTA - http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/FixingtheGreenpointTubes.htm

Above ground concrete ties on the BMT Sea Beach line:

6140523684_c2fa9f6198_o.jpg

Source: MTA https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/6140523684/

Sea Beach is a must....

Sea Beach is a must....

And fortunately in 2015 we can look foward to one of the biggest overhaul projects in history, the Sea Beach rehabilitation project. You name it, signals, tracks, benchwalls hodling up the open cut, all stations, its going to be a masterpiece that makes the Culver Viaduct rehab look like a joke.

Above ground concrete ties on the BMT Sea Beach line:

6140523684_c2fa9f6198_o.jpg

Source: MTA https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/6140523684/

They half-assed it. It's a patchwork of wooden ties and concrete ties with switches always using wooden ties. It's the same on the Brighton line as well. Keep in mind that the wooden ties aren't there because they haven't been replaced yet. They were all replaced at around the same time! On the Broadway line, you can find a mix of concrete and rock track beds. It makes for a ride that ranges from "bouncy" to "hard" along different segments.

They half-assed it. It's a patchwork of wooden ties and concrete ties with switches always using wooden ties. It's the same on the Brighton line as well. Keep in mind that the wooden ties aren't there because they haven't been replaced yet. They were all replaced at around the same time! On the Broadway line, you can find a mix of concrete and rock track beds. It makes for a ride that ranges from "bouncy" to "hard" along different segments.

True.

I guess that problem will be addressed with the Sea Beach rehabilitation project. I do agree however, they could have definitely done better with the running of concrete rails. Then again given the difficulty of it along with other GOs that was needed (junction @ 36th Street, and maintainance on the West End) it would have been difficult. 

If they would try to line track I think throughout the entirety of the line we would have a N GO like every weekend of the 52 weeks allotted in a year. They tried midday GO's but realistically nothing can really be accomplished in a few hrs during the midday other than walking the tracks and inspect.

So I guess the CCC is waiting until they start the rehabilitation project, first with the beginnings of the open cut walls continuously lining the ROW in November followed by the full blown rehabilitation right after, including rehab of stations, concreting repair, floodproofing, new install of stairs and elevators for ADA access, historic restoration of stations and of course track replacement in full with concrete ties and signal modernization.

Get ready for N GOs via West End ridiculous in 2015 like almost every weekend, plus a slew of temporary platforms and/or station platforms partially shut down when it all starts.  

I wonder how fast they can do this given the IND Queens Blvd CBTC installation and rail welding projects starts at the same time in 2015....

True.

I guess that problem will be addressed with the Sea Beach rehabilitation project. I do agree however, they could have definitely done better with the running of concrete rails. Then again given the difficulty of it along with other GOs that was needed (junction @ 36th Street, and maintainance on the West End) it would have been difficult. 

If they would try to line track I think throughout the entirety of the line we would have a N GO like every weekend of the 52 weeks allotted in a year. They tried midday GO's but realistically nothing can really be accomplished in a few hrs during the midday other than walking the tracks and inspect.

So I guess the CCC is waiting until they start the rehabilitation project, first with the beginnings of the open cut walls continuously lining the ROW in November followed by the full blown rehabilitation right after, including rehab of stations, concreting repair, floodproofing, new install of stairs and elevators for ADA access, historic restoration of stations and of course track replacement in full with concrete ties and signal modernization.

Get ready for N GOs via West End ridiculous in 2015 like almost every weekend, plus a slew of temporary platforms and/or station platforms partially shut down when it all starts.  

I wonder how fast they can do this given the IND Queens Blvd CBTC installation and rail welding projects starts at the same time in 2015....

Realizm, I know you will cover the Sea Beach rehabilitation project, and with that a lot of likes will be on the way.

Archived