Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

You're all forgetting the #1 reason why the (M) won't run R32 or 42's. That is an OPTO line part time (even when it gets extended to Essex in June, it will still be 4 car OPTO). The 32's and 42's can not run in OPTO mode (how is the T/O gonna open up on the left side?). So it's 143 or 160's only. Sorry.

Thank you sir for reminding us. :) It was bad enough that the old brown (M) had to use both T/O and C/R for its weekend/night shuttle service back then, until it became fully 160s.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rockaway shuttle is not OPTO in the summer months (except late nights) from memorial day to labor day

Unless things have changed, the (S) was running 4 car OPTO trains on a Tuesday in August 2009, when I was last down there. Supposedly, it was running full-length trains then.

You're all forgetting the #1 reason why the (M) won't run R32 or 42's. That is an OPTO line part time (even when it gets extended to Essex in June, it will still be 4 car OPTO). The 32's and 42's can not run in OPTO mode (how is the T/O gonna open up on the left side?). So it's 143 or 160's only. Sorry.

This may be a dumb question, but how does the conductor open up the left side on the R32s?

What is OPTO?

I ONCE worked the holiday special R9, and the sheer amount of obnoxiousness and immaturity I saw made me decide to never volunteer again. And I can tell you that if that was MY R32 yesterday, I would have kicked you off the moment I sensed any trouble. Some of you have no respect whatsoever for this subway system which you act like you love so much.

When did you work the R9s? I asked around and not a single person knows who you are.

A 2nd R32 set has been sent to ENY last night, its running on the (J) now, this means an R160A-1 must have been transferred to the (C) as I stated earlier in this thread that a set of R160's would be going on the (C) early until the offical swap begins

If this is true, then the (A) / (C) swap won't happen again?

Not anymore , the supervisor from the (A) doesn't want R32s running there anymore and also its more easier with the (J) and (Z)  swap since ENY Maintains one set of R32s and its R42s as it is...

Obviously, the one and only reason is that both the (C) and (J) are 480 feet units, so its an even swap without reducing spares.

Wait why are they doing this?

As always, R32s' air-conditioning needs to be alleviated during the heatwaves, as they are already running well past the average lifespan of a subway car.

Doesn't one or two sets have to stay for the R143 SMS?

Chris did say something like that a few pages back. However, I doubt it has anything do with the R143 SMS. Doesn't the (L) already have a total of 26 or 34 trains? And also, doesn't the (J) only runs 14 trains during off-peak? I think East New York has enough cars for service on the aforemention lines during the off-peak. Remember, train requirements are much lower during the off-peak (weekends and nights especially).

Edited by RollOverMyHead