Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Hi I'm new here. Is it okay if I can get things straight here? So far what I understand is that:

Every summer, there is an R32-NTT fleet swap between the  (A)  (C) and the  (J)  (Z) . Which trains go to where and why is this swap done? 

Welcome, Currently its between the C and the J/Z.

The R32s have HVAC problems in the summer while running on underground routes, with the C being fully underground. 

So, the MTA swaps R32s from the C to the J/Z in exchange for R160A-1s.

The swap works because the C also uses 480 foot trains like the BMT eastern.

Last year they only swapped half.

The swap started at the end of May last year.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Currently its between the C and the J/Z.

The R32s have HVAC problems in the summer while running on underground routes, with the C being fully underground. 

So, the MTA swaps R32s from the C to the J/Z in exchange for R160A-1s.

The swap works because the C also uses 480 foot trains like the BMT eastern.

Last year they only swapped half.

The swap started at the end of May last year.

I see. What does HV stand for?

This swap isn't some seasonal every year thing right? Its not like when its winter again the trains as swapped back? Its a permanent swap operation?

Any idea how these trains get from (A)(C) to the (J)(Z) and vice versa? I'm sure its a lot of switching

Edited by Ethan777

Has this swap been going on these past few decades?

Any idea how these trains get from (A)(C) to the (J)(Z) and vice versa? I'm sure its a lot of switching

Its the AC units.

They go through the Chrystie St connection and then switch from the 6th Avenue line to the 8th at W 4 St.

The current arrangement started last summer.

Before that it was a swap between the A and the C, with R32s to the A, and R46s to the C.

Many people enjoyed riding the A with the R32s into the Rockaways.

Its the AC units.

They go through the Chrystie St connection and then switch from the 6th Avenue line to the 8th at W 4 St.

The current arrangement started last summer.

Before that it was a swap between the A and the C, with R32s to the A, and R46s to the C.

Many people enjoyed riding the A with the R32s into the Rockaways.

I guess the swapping is done during late night with lesser trains on the lines..

So does this mean all the R32s will spend their final years on the Eastern Division? 

HV stands for Heating and Ventilation.

Its the AC units.

Not exactly. In the most general sense yes, air conditioning would also include heating and ventilation, but technically they are all separate since in a HVAC system air conditioning systems remove heat.

Edited by Gong Gahou

I got a shot of the R32 (J) today, but it came out blurry. I plan on going for the R32, R42 and R160 all in one day.

Your read my mind thats exactkly what I am set out to do if the opportunity arises for a window of time this weekend. Great to see the R160's on the C and R32's back on the J enmasse for some great photos.

In general as far as the C the 89th Ave line is a great on the camera with lighting and everything applied.

Your read my mind thats exactkly what I am set out to do if the opportunity arises for a window of time this weekend. Great to see the R160's on the C and R32's back on the J enmasse for some great photos.

In general as far as the C the 89th Ave line is a great on the camera with lighting and everything applied.

And also because the train pulls up short(even the R160 (C) ), so I have lots of room to get quality shots.

Thanks Lance. Makes alot more sense to keep the same car assignments on both lines (like last year) because 207th Street and Pitkin Avenue still can't maintain the R160s. The R32s and R160s will still be regularly maintain and inspected at their respective home shops though.

Edited by RollOver

Its supposed to be 10 sets, he's off by one, a source who works for the ta stated on subchat that its a 10 for 10 swap like last year, the assignments are subject to change it can increase like last year or decrease

They'll run on weekends and overnights

Edited by R32 3838

I see more R160's on the (J) than R32/42

It was a mixed fleet of the 32s, 42s and 160A-1s when I was on the line itself after school from around 2:45 through about 5:30 p.m. (RFWing in both directions on the entirety of the line as usual).

Edited by RollOver