Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I like R32s as much as the next guy, but they've got to go. Not because the passengers complain about them (couldn't care less about what they think) but because they're old, tired, and rickety. They've had a good life, but it's time for them to go. If they all collapsed into a pile of dust tomorrow they wouldn't owe us a thing.

Better start gathering as much photos and videos as you can.

Well, they can't be replaced since there's nothing to replace them with so it's pretty moot. Those R42s are far worse anyway. Besides, I like the old things just for those RFWs. That's a real part of the subway for a lot of us who grew up when they were everywhere, and I miss having them. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they can't be replaced since there's nothing to replace them with so it's pretty moot. Those R42s are far worse anyway. Besides, I like the old things just for those RFWs. That's a real part of the subway for a lot of us who grew up when they were everywhere, and I miss having them. 

Can't agree with you more...Almost every line had RFW 

Well, yeah, I know that they can't be replaced with anything yet... there's been enough debates on here when I pointed out such ;) Mind, needing replacement and getting replaced don't always go hand in hand.

Besides the signature roof rust, why would the R42s be considered worse? I only rode one but it seemed to be in alright shape. Certainly not as rock and roll like 3912...

+1 on the RFW comment

Those R42s are put through less intense service on the J/Z compared to the R32s on the C (sometimes in the year the R42s are even rush hour only) and there've still got a lower MDBF and a plethora of other problems. It's car by car with the R32s--some run like new, some are in bad shape. 

Edited by MHV9218

Having the R32's on the (J) helps them much more and they run better, that one set that ENY has had besides the rest was the best running R32 and was well maintained, as for the rest, they're 207th responsibility, the R42's are in bad shape, those need to go before the R32's, I ride em on the (J) everyday, they're not as bad as the ones on the (C)

What difference does it make though? The R32s still do about 50,000 miles before they break down, outside or not. It doesn't matter which line they run on, as they're the oldest heaps in the system. They're going to be plagued with problems wherever they go anyway.

Edited by RollOver

The only R32's that ENY is currently responsible for is the 12 R32's that have been there since last year and that is:

3426/7,3698/99,3714/15,3770/71,3778/79 and 3932/33

You can tell the difference between those cars and the 207th cars, I rode 3427 last night and it ran very good, just put it this way, any R32 that's shiner than the rest, those are the ENY maintained R32's

The only R32's that ENY is currently responsible for is the 12 R32's that have been there since last year and that is:

3426/7,3698/99,3714/15,3770/71,3778/79 and 3932/33

You can tell the difference between those cars and the 207th cars, I rode 3427 last night and it ran very good, just put it this way, any R32 that's shiner than the rest, those are the ENY maintained R32's

i Saw you today!

Well 3715/14 is on the (C) again... ENY Better get that pair back lol. Anyone agree that the MTA should have just kept the R40M cars over R42 cars?

Believe it or not at the time of their retirement the R40Ms performed much better than R42s , but the (MTA) went scrap happy and scrapped all of the R40Ms when they shouldn't have..... 

Edited by R62AR33

Whenever I see the R-32 consist on the (A) in the afternoons, it's always heading to Lefferts Boulevard.  Does anyone know if they ever send it to Mott Avenue or Beach 116th Street during PM rush hours?

They sent it to Rockaway Park on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 3715/14 is on the (C) again... ENY Better get that pair back lol. Anyone agree that the MTA should have just kept the R40M cars over R42 cars?

Believe it or not at the time of their retirement the R40Ms performed much better than R42s , but the (MTA) went scrap happy and scrapped all of the R40Ms when they shouldn't have..... 

To me, the R40Ms looked like they were in better condition than the R42s when the MTA took the 40s out of service. Aren't there a couple R40m pairs still on the the property? If so, they probably still look in better shape than the 42s, lol. I know the R40M/42 combo pair is still around.

To me, the R40Ms looked like they were in better condition than the R42s when the MTA took the 40s out of service. Aren't there a couple R40m pairs still on the the property? If so, they probably still look in better shape than the 42s, lol. I know the R40M/42 combo pair is still around.

There's only one pair of R40M left which is part of the museum fleet. The R40s towards the end of there life's were being held together by bondo tape, the 42s were not.

There's only one pair of R40M left which is part of the museum fleet. The R40s towards the end of there life's were being held together by bondo tape, the 42s were not.

That was the slants. The modified weren't in that bad a condition, and did look better than the 42's.

Edited by Eric B