Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

20 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Then explain why the R68s cant push weight as fast as the 160s?.. You can have a local R160 (R) train running down 4th Ave going faster than an R68 (D) express train..

Actually I just checked: R68 car is 92,720 vs. R160 car is 85,200 lbs.. So you're wrong the 68s are heavy.

8-cars of R68 is 741760. 10-cars of R160 is 852000...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

All NTTs go faster than the SMEEs (specifically when leaving a station on separate tracks) because the NTTs are younger than the SMEEs, helllooooo. Common sense. The SMEEs also no longer have their field shunting partly due to the numerous accidents back then, so they pretty much lost their get up and go as a whole. Though the NTTs don't seem to perform well when they get up 40+ mph likely because they're programmed not to. The SMEEs perform better in that regard.

Yeah, individually, an R68 car is heavier than an R160 car. But in terms of train length (mind you, not car length), the R160s are the true heaviest.

You make fair points but I don't think age of the cars should be the case, R46s, 32s, 42s go faster than the 68s in my opinion as well.

1 minute ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

You make fair points but I don't think age of the cars should be the case, R46s, 32s, 42s go faster than the 68s in my opinion as well.

LOL opinions don't make facts. SMEEs all go at the same speed when racing from one station to another on separate tracks.  I can personally assure you that much.

R68's have the same output as R62's correct? with the extra weight.. Also AC vs DC traction is a factor as well. I feel the perfect place to see this in action is the Manhattan Bridge 160's climb the grade twice as fast head to head. 

Edited by RailRunRob

9 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

R68's have the same output as R62's correct? with the extra weight.. Also AC vs DC traction is a factor as well. I feel the perfect place to see this in action is the Manhattan Bridge 160's climb the grade twice as fast head to head. 

What about recording the speed of each R32, 46, 68 and 160s running down Cranberry Tube during rush hour?

35 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What about recording the speed of each R32, 46, 68 and 160s running down Cranberry Tube during rush hour?

There are quite a few factors at play. From weight, power output to just plain gravity. Not sure if you get an accurate read. With stations being as close as they are in NYC not sure it matters, for the most part, it's a few seconds saved here and there. But all and all, most car classes are on par.. The Manhattan Bridge is the only place I can think of you'll see power output in full visual display. 4.5% grade.. full power head to head til midspan.

Edited by RailRunRob

I don't see the point in running only a small few (C) trains full-length. I think the (MTA) just doesn't care. Since 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue has a total of 120 R32s, 386 R46s, and 100 R160s, here's how I would have done the swap to make half of the (C) line fleet full-length:

(A) - 80 R32s (all 10-cars) and 240 R46s for service + 40 R32s (all 10-cars) and 32 R46s as spares

(C) - 72 R46s and 72 R160s for service + 16 R46s and 28 R160s as spares

(S) - 12 R46s for service + 14 R46s as spares

Edited by Jemorie
Trying to show how half of the C line fleet can be full-length instead of less than half

25 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I don't see the point in running only a small few (C) trains full-length. I think the (MTA) just doesn't care. Since 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue has a total of 120 R32s, 386 R46s, and 100 R160s, here's how I would have done the swap to make half of the (C) line fleet full-length:

(A) - 80 R32s (all 10-cars) and 240 R46s for service + 40 R32s (all 10-cars) and 32 R46s as spares

(C) - 72 R46s and 72 R160s for service + 16 R46s and 28 R160s as spares

(S) - 12 R46s for service + 14 R46s as spares

that is a good explanation given the poor service we have on a daily basis

also it could be the car crunch in the B division since the Second Ave Subway open and the (W) was restored (reduction in spare factor). It makes car swaps much harder to do because you literally have no spare cars to move while maintaining full service and spare requirements.

Likely, they'lll want to have the entire (A) and (C) R46s (one fleet) and move R32s to another yard, because making the 10 car trains out of R32s means that there are less trains in service (not possible without additional R179s)

(160/10) = 16

(160/8) = 20

Edited by darkstar8983

5 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

that is a good explanation given the poor service we have on a daily basis

also it could be the car crunch in the B division since the Second Ave Subway open and the (W) was restored (reduction in spare factor). It makes car swaps much harder to do because you literally have no spare cars to move while maintaining full service and spare requirements.

Likely, they'lll want to have the entire (A) and (C) R46s (one fleet) and move R32s to another yard, because making the 10 car trains out of R32s means that there are less trains in service (not possible without additional R179s)

(160/10) = 16

(160/8) = 20

You're right. Ever since the (W) returned, spare factors have been reduced slightly more than before, hell even after the (Q) was extended to SAS. But with more R179s on the way and with the (L) shutdown, this problem will no longer occur, thankfully. We are certainly looking forward to seeing both the (C) and (G) full-length as the agency can't afford to have displaced Canarsie/14th Street riders squishing onto 480 feet long trains.

5 hours ago, Jemorie said:

You're right. Ever since the (W) returned, spare factors have been reduced slightly more than before, hell even after the (Q) was extended to SAS. But with more R179s on the way and with the (L) shutdown, this problem will no longer occur, thankfully. We are certainly looking forward to seeing both the (C) and (G) full-length as the agency can't afford to have displaced Canarsie/14th Street riders squishing onto 480 feet long trains.

You know that the (L) shutdown will inrease the peak car usage, right?

44 minutes ago, quadcorder said:

You know that the (L) shutdown will inrease the peak car usage, right?

Apparently, you didn't read the "But with more R179s on the way and with the (L) shutdown, this problem will no longer occur, thankfully" part of my post that shows you that I'm aware of that.

Edited by Jemorie

As more R179's go into service on the (J) the (C) will gain a set or two of R46's and an R160 will go back to ENY.

R179 goes into service, bumps an R32 to 207th (8 cars)

207th then sends an R160 to ENY to bump another R32 (8 more cars) to 207th.

Then the (A) looses a set or two of R46's to the (C) while the (A) gains an R32 set or two.

Eventually the R42's will follow suit to 207th. Until further notice.

As for the (A) and (C) being 100% R46's i don't agree with that. The R32's or 10 car R160's would be better due to dwell times. Especially when the (L) shutdown happens. Its best to have both the (A) and (C) use a fair amount of 60 footers especially the (C).

I would take the remaining R160's from CIY and give them to the (C).