Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

14 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I don't see the point in running only a small few (C) trains full-length. I think the (MTA) just doesn't care. Since 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue has a total of 120 R32s, 386 R46s, and 100 R160s, here's how I would have done the swap to make half of the (C) line fleet full-length:

(A) - 80 R32s (all 10-cars) and 240 R46s for service + 40 R32s (all 10-cars) and 32 R46s as spares

(C) - 72 R46s and 72 R160s for service + 16 R46s and 28 R160s as spares

(S) - 12 R46s for service + 14 R46s as spares

MTA does care.  Those 600' C trains are NOT placed randomly.  By the observations of traffic checkers, the longer trains are put into service for the AM rush in such order to be on  high ridership intervals.  As more R179's are accepted, other cars will be moved around to in time make more C trains 600'.  There is a process.  Rome wasn't built in a day!  MTA Chairman Lhota said as soon as he got in there that he wants the C line to run long trains.  Just be patient please.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

As more R179's go into service on the (J) the (C) will gain a set or two of R46's and an R160 will go back to ENY.

R179 goes into service, bumps an R32 to 207th (8 cars)

207th then sends an R160 to ENY to bump another R32 (8 more cars) to 207th.

Then the (A) looses a set or two of R46's to the (C) while the (A) gains an R32 set or two.

Eventually the R42's will follow suit to 207th. Until further notice.

As for the (A) and (C) being 100% R46's i don't agree with that. The R32's or 10 car R160's would be better due to dwell times. Especially when the (L) shutdown happens. Its best to have both the (A) and (C) use a fair amount of 60 footers especially the (C).

I would take the remaining R160's from CIY and give them to the (C). 

That's a good idea, Also the (A)(C) will have 10car set of R179's, also we have to wait and see if the rumors are true that order was change include more 5car sets and less 4 car sets.

Edited by JayJay85

The MTA should have never been so quick to make the order a majority of 4 car sets. The (C) should have been 10 cars from the start. What I’m wondering is once the R160’s go back to the (J) and the R179’s start rolling in, what will the MTA do with all these 4 car set trains? The only thing I can think of is the (G) being made into full 8 car lengths and those R68’s being used elsewhere as a part of the fleet expansion. Of course I know nothing is set in stone and things are bound to change. 

16 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The MTA should have never been so quick to make the order a majority of 4 car sets. The (C) should have been 10 cars from the start. What I’m wondering is once the R160’s go back to the (J) and the R179’s start rolling in, what will the MTA do with all these 4 car set trains? The only thing I can think of is the (G) being made into full 8 car lengths and those R68’s being used elsewhere as a part of the fleet expansion. Of course I know nothing is set in stone and things are bound to change. 

Typically MTA half-assing everything

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:18 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The order was done in such a way because the MTA never intended for the (C) to use full-length trains. Also, it was simply to be a stopgap order to remove the worst performing 32s and 42s while waiting for the much larger R211 order to be completed. The shift to 600-foot trains along with the upcoming Canarsie tunnel closure threw a monkey-wrench into those previous plans.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:18 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Monday morning quarterbacking.  These cars were ordered LONG ago.  And they are 2-3 years late.  At the time they were ordered, there was no thought of 600' trains required on the C.  Current MTA management, who want 600' C trains, did not order these cars.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

On 1/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Monday morning quarterbacking.  These cars were ordered LONG ago.  And they are 2-3 years late.  At the time they were ordered, there was no thought of 600' trains required on the C.  Current MTA management, who want 600' C trains, did not order these cars.

I am hearing rumors from the MTA the R179 was modify to include more 5car set train and less 4car trains, I guess  we have also wait and see if the rumors are true.  

As you're aware, the Canarsie car fleet speculation thread has been closed due to the sheer nonsense that permeated the last few pages. If any of you think you'll be able to carry that conversation over here, let me remove that belief right away. We are not going to have threads become cluttered with everyone's predictions of where the cars will go once X car class is delivered or Y service change occurs. At the end of the day, the cars will go to where the MTA believes they will be most beneficial, regardless of what was heard from train crews, insiders or your brother's cousin's nephew. Arguing on who's going to be wrong or right is quite frankly, downright silly since the MTA is wont to change their minds on these things almost at random. Enjoy the fact that your favorite (or not so favorite) cars are still running despite all odds. Also, if you're so invested in where the trains are operating, maybe it's time to step away for a bit. Even on this forum, being right about such trivial things as the car assignments should not rule your life. I'd say go outside and enjoy the weather, but it's ten degrees again, so maybe not. Just, don't put so much energy into something that doesn't really matter.

56 minutes ago, Lance said:

As you're aware, the Canarsie car fleet speculation thread has been closed due to the sheer nonsense that permeated the last few pages. If any of you think you'll be able to carry that conversation over here, let me remove that belief right away. We are not going to have threads become cluttered with everyone's predictions of where the cars will go once X car class is delivered or Y service change occurs. At the end of the day, the cars will go to where the MTA believes they will be most beneficial, regardless of what was heard from train crews, insiders or your brother's cousin's nephew. Arguing on who's going to be wrong or right is quite frankly, downright silly since the MTA is wont to change their minds on these things almost at random. Enjoy the fact that your favorite (or not so favorite) cars are still running despite all odds. Also, if you're so invested in where the trains are operating, maybe it's time to step away for a bit. Even on this forum, being right about such trivial things as the car assignments should not rule your life. I'd say go outside and enjoy the weather, but it's ten degrees again, so maybe not. Just, don't put so much energy into something that doesn't really matter.

I agree..We all love our nyc trains and buses...But some of us here go way overboard with this subway car assignment thang....

7 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

I 1000% agree. There are many things to do other than subways. Why not take a break from the forums, and actually do something else? I mean, a foamer only cares about the subway and nothing more. He doesn't care about getting good grades, caring for his parents, and his only contribution is not giving one crap less about taking a break. He only gets negative reputation spammed on his irrational behavior everyday. He thinks that the R32s are angels and the 211s are devils. 

But I am railfan, and just a railfan. I actually care about video games, doing well in school with a 90 average, and also am thankful that I even have a good life. A foamer won't be thankful for anything but this "hobby." And then ppl foam over the R32's on whatever line they think of. But that's just too overboard. Be thankful that you even get to ride trains in the first place... be thankful that you actually live in NYC instead of some mountain of garbage...I think I've said enough. 

I have to agree with you as well, speaking of which I have to study for my upcoming final's for the first semester. Oh, what's your favorite video game?

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Guess we did get out of hand and on behalf of the forums I sincerely apologize.

28 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I agree..We all love our nyc trains and buses...But some of us here go way overboard with this subway car assignment thang....

yup

Edited by LGA Link N train

On 1/15/2018 at 12:04 PM, LGA Link N train said:

I have to agree with you as well, speaking of which I have to study for my upcoming final's for the first semester. Oh, what's your favorite video game?

Guess we did get out of hand and on behalf of the forums I sincerely apologize.

yup

If you want to have random chitchat, there's a place for that, and this isn't it.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, Lance said:

Indeed. This isn't Facebook.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, JayJay85 said:

That's a good idea, Also the (A)(C) will have 10car set of R179's, also we have to wait and see if the rumors are true that order was change include more 5car sets and less 4 car sets.

Yes, it has been changed! Check out the latest R179 thread posts...

Bombardier is providing the NYCT with 16 additional "B" cars to make a total of 12 600-foot R179 sets.

That news certainly makes fleet swap options more interesting.

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Ah, I see. IMO, it's kinda strange that the NTT's were there for the (C) riders then later, its starting to disappear to using the older rolling stock except the length will be bigger. 

It's happened before. Notably on the (J)(Z) when they swapped R32s for R160s with the (C). But yes, definitely weird for riders.

Im just gonna put this out there, please take do not go overboard and ruin this thread because it is an important thread.

Ok im gonna say this, for those who know i was disagreeing with the R32's being on the (B) but that has now changed here's why.

In order to make the (C)  100% full length the (B) has to have some R32's,Here's why:

CIY has 100 of jamaica's R160's, currently the (C) has about 8 sets of R160's left. In order to make the (C) 100% full length jamaica has to give up 64+ R46's to pitkin in order to make the (C) 100% full length. The MTA did say that some R32's will remain on the (C) so i can see 3 sets of full length R32's on the (C) while the rest are on the (A).

This would then bump those R160A-1's back to ENY and then those remaining R32's would go to CIY (about 80 cars) to bump 80 R160's (the 9200's and 9400's they lost) back to jamaica. 

This is probably the only way until the 12 R179 10 car sets come in. 

Then once the (G) goes 480 feet. Half of those R32's that are on the (B) would go to the (G) to supplement the 8 car R179's or R160's.  

I can also see the 24 R42's going to CIY for (B) service.

Yes we are all aware of the tube issue but they have no choice and this is the only scenario. 207th would still have R32's but the other half would go to CIY.

I did alot of thinking and this makes the most sense. This is the only way to make the (C) 100% full length.

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The MTA did say that some R32's will remain on the (C) so i can see 3 sets of full length R32's on the (C) while the rest are on the (A).

When did they say that?

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Then once the (G) goes 480 feet. Half of those R32's that are on the (B) would go to the (G) to supplement the 8 car R179's or R160's.  

This makes sense until you realize, should it be R179s on (G) , Coney Island would be maintaining 4 different car types. That's a bit too much. Hence, why it's either the R179s or R32s for Coney, and as you yourself pointed out, makes way more sense for the latter rather than the former (for the (B) )

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Im just gonna put this out there, please take do not go overboard and ruin this thread because it is an important thread.

Ok im gonna say this, for those who know i was disagreeing with the R32's being on the (B) but that has now changed here's why.

In order to make the (C)  100% full length the (B) has to have some R32's,Here's why:

CIY has 100 of jamaica's R160's, currently the (C) has about 8 sets of R160's left. In order to make the (C) 100% full length jamaica has to give up 64+ R46's to pitkin in order to make the (C) 100% full length. The MTA did say that some R32's will remain on the (C) so i can see 3 sets of full length R32's on the (C) while the rest are on the (A).

This would then bump those R160A-1's back to ENY and then those remaining R32's would go to CIY (about 80 cars) to bump 80 R160's (the 9200's and 9400's they lost) back to jamaica. 

This is probably the only way until the 12 R179 10 car sets come in. 

I can also see the 24 R42's going to CIY for (B) service.

Yes we are all aware of the tube issue but they have no choice and this is the only scenario. 207th would still have R32's but the other half would go to CIY.

I did alot of thinking and this makes the most sense. This is the only way to make the (C) 100% full length.

I kinda had the same theory to this...How on earth is the (C) gonna be full length w/o some yard giving and excepting cars and coney island in my mind and others was the only option...Now that we established that the (B) will some how receive 32's...What reroute the (B) uses when there's a problem with the bridge...Bill from maspath answer this for me buddy...:)

5 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

when there's a problem with the bridge...

Let's not start with the bridge thing again, this could spiral into a pointless argument.

If the MTA puts R32s on the (B), then they deem it a non-issue. It's that simple.

Besides, the probability of this happening is very low already, even lower if the R32s are only a small part of the (B)

1 minute ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Let's not start with the bridge thing again, this could spiral into a pointless argument.

If the MTA puts R32s on the (B), then they deem it a non-issue. It's that simple.

Besides, the probability of this happening is very low already, even lower if the R32s are only a small part of the (B)

Im not trying to start anything....I was just  being a little sarcastic and just joking around with bill thats all cause i have respect for him and his views..nothing else....It really doesnt matter to me where any subway car goes...