Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Are you aware the C has some R46 cars too?  It was a swap to start getting 600' trains to the C line.

So with that said. (C) taking cars from the (A) is there going to be a shortage somewhere?  Is there like an extra train of R32s that there going to use to make 10 car trainsets for the (A)  with the (C) having 8 car configs on that side of the swap? Is the (A) still using some R68's during rush?

Edited by RailRunRob

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So with that said. (C) taking cars from the (A) is there going to be a shortage somewhere?  Is there like an extra train of R32s that there going to use to make 10 car trainsets for the (A)  with the (C) having 8 car configs on that side of the swap? Is the (A) still using some R68's during rush?

Step 1. 1 train of R179 goes into service on J. 
Step 2. 1 train of R32 moves from J to C
Step 3. 1 train of R160 moves from C to J. 
Step 4. 1 train of R32 moves from J and gets broken up. 
Step 5. 4 C trains get a pair added from the broken up J train move from C to A. 
Step 6. 4 trains of R46 move from A to C. 
Step 7. ???
Step 8. Profit. 

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

Step 1. 1 train of R179 goes into service on J. 
Step 2. 1 train of R32 moves from J to C
Step 3. 1 train of R160 moves from C to J. 
Step 4. 1 train of R32 moves from J and gets broken up. 
Step 5. 4 C trains get a pair added from the broken up J train move from C to A. 
Step 6. 4 trains of R46 move from A to C. 
Step 7. ???
Step 8. Profit. 

Got it! So if you can make a 10car R32 train why switch them to the (A) is that around the A/C and overheating issue? Just being proactive for the warmer months? Getting that outdoor breeze? 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

There are a number of reasons one would prefer the R32s on the A- 
-The AC issue
-R32s handle crowds better than R46s
-Avoiding 2 lengths of the same equipment on the same line helps with regards to proper positioning at stations. 

Gotcha. Totally forgot to factor the slower loading times with 75-foot cars.

9 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

There are a number of reasons one would prefer the R32s on the A- 
-The AC issue
-R32s handle crowds better than R46s
-Avoiding 2 lengths of the same equipment on the same line helps with regards to proper positioning at stations. 

Thank you. Someone gets it.

I can see the (A) being 

9-12sets of R179's

8 sets of R32's 

24 sets of R46's

The (C) uses

15 sets of R46's 

3 sets of R32's or R179's 

It would make sense if the (A) is 50% 60 footers and 50% 75 footers. Im hoping this is the case. 12 sets of NTT with 8 sets of R32's with 24 sets of R46's would be the perfect balance of cars for the (A)

22 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I can see the (A) being 

9-12sets of R179's

8 sets of R32's 

24 sets of R46's

The (C) uses

15 sets of R46's 

3 sets of R32's or R179's 

It would make sense if the (A) is 50% 60 footers and 50% 75 footers. Im hoping this is the case. 12 sets of NTT with 8 sets of R32's with 24 sets of R46's would be the perfect balance of cars for the (A)

How do you figure? You’ll have 3 different car classes running on one line. The (A) needs Majority of NTT’s; Or all 222 R32’s. However, I  think those extra 10-car R179’s will be assigned to the (C) since riders are already used to having R160’s. (C) riders were publicly promised new cars, the (MTA) Can’t just dump R46’s on that line. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

How do you figure? You’ll have 3 different car classes running on one line. The (A) needs Majority of NTT’s; Or all 222 R32’s. However, I  think those extra 10-car R179’s will be assigned to the (C) since riders are already used to having R160’s. (C) riders were publicly promised new cars, the (MTA) Can’t just dump R46’s on that line. 

The (A) needs a good portion of 60 footers on the line especially during the shutdown. There's only gonna be 12 sets of 10 car R179's. 10-11 sets out of 12 gonna be used. Its the only option to put all of them on the (A) with the R32's. Those R46's don't do well with crowds at all.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

And you forget coney island yard needs some R32's as well for the (G), there isn't gonna be enough 8 car ntt trains so they're gonna need some R32's to supplement that line.

Of course there will be enough four-car NTTs to cover the (G). Remember it runs a total of 13 trains in passenger service and has a total of 5 spare trains. That's 18 trains total.

104 R179s for service + 40 as spares = 144 cars in the (G) fleet. The last 52 four-car sets in the R179 fleet and the (C) 's R160s can all head for ENY.

Simple.

11 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Of course there will be enough four-car NTTs to cover the (G). Remember it runs a total of 13 trains in passenger service and has a total of 5 spare trains. That's 18 trains total.

104 R179s for service + 40 as spares = 144 cars in the (G) fleet. The last 52 four-car sets in the R179 fleet and the (C) 's R160s can all head for ENY.

Simple.

Actually if you are talking about the shutdown then yes there are enough cars because the R143s freed up from the (L) will supplement the (J)s fleet so that most of the R160s go to the (M). However in the case of regular assignment, since we do not YET know where the cars are going; if we were to assume that the (G) gets some R179s, no there won’t be enough regarding spare factors because the (J) needs to be assigned first and ensure that enough cars are placed on the line to not need any R42/32 cars and an appropriate spare factor, especially now with the R160s now going for CBTC and increasing the spare factor, not only for Queens Blvd CBTC but also increasing the spare factor again in general.

as I see it

(L) - 212 R143 + 64 R160A-1 assigned

(M) - projected to need a total of 240 R160s

that leaves only 68 R160A-1s for exclusive (J) service. If we assume that ~40 of those CBTC R160A-1s can be intermittently can be assigned to the (J) when not needed on the (L) and (M), then that makes it about 112 R160A-1 cars (14 sets on the (J) ). The (J) including spare factors would need 200 cars, so would require 80-88 R179s. That leaves only 108 R179s for another Line (which would in your scenario be the (G) now that we want 600-foot (C) trains). 

The (G) as you stated needs 104 cars (13 trainsets) before spate cars are considered, and with 4-5 spare trainsets, needs about 40 R32s to be assigned.

• 2 weeks later...

There was at least 5 sets of R32s on the (A) today, with at least two on the Far Rock portion, they were running back to back and both of them was at Mott Ave at the same time.

VRiADok.jpg

I finally got my ride on an R32 (A) train to Far Rock :D I had my speedometer app and one of the sets topped out at 44 MPH on the flats and the other 42, the set I took N/B hit 43 coming into Howard Beach - JFK which was 1 MPH faster than it did on the flats.

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There was at least 5 sets of R32s on the (A) today, with at least two on the Far Rock portion, they were running back to back and both of them was at Mott Ave at the same time.

VRiADok.jpg

I finally got my ride on an R32 (A) train to Far Rock :D I had my speedometer app and one of the sets topped out at 44 MPH on the flats and the other 42, the set I took N/B hit 43 coming into Howard Beach - JFK which was 1 MPH faster than it did on the flats.

I thought they would go at least 50-55mph

4 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Without field shunts cut in, the R32s only do ~45 mph on level track. The R46s and 68s are slightly faster; they'll do between 47 and 50 mph on the flats.

When did they start cutting field shunts? I wasn't a EE major but I remember learning that when you shunt a DC motor you cut the overall torque. Good on level track bad for climbing inclines no? 

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

The R179s, R46s, and R32s are gonna be shared between the (A) and (C) lines since they both come out of 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue anyway so.

This is not news. They’ve shared and should have been sharing fleet since the 80’s. If the (C) is slated for full length, I do not see why an R32 (10-car set) shouldn’t pop up for (C) service. Restrictions to what fleet runs on what line should have been a thing of the past. For example; Look how Jamaica’s “cuomo scheme” R160’s “specifically for the (E) end up on the (F) and (R) 

Edited by VIP

1 minute ago, VIP said:

This is not news. They’ve shared and should have been sharing fleet since the 80’s. If the (C) is slated for full length, I do not see why an R32 (10-car set) shouldn’t pop up for (C) service. Restrictions to what fleet runs on what line should have been a thing of the past. For example; Look how Jamaica’s “cumo scheme” R160’s “specifically for the (E) end up on the (F) and (R) 

Yeah I know that.

• 3 weeks later...