Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

59 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I could sworn there was one on the (Z) Friday, but maybe I saw an old photo.

I haven't seen any R42 for a while. I have seen a few R32 on the morning rush hour (Z), but I did not see any R32 last week, not even packing at the middle track of 111st st. So I guess there are only very few sets(less than 3?) of R32 running on (J)(Z) nowadays. 

By the way, I did notice that (J)(Z) have much less delays after they swapped out R32/R42.

Edited by whz1995

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

I haven't seen any R42 for a while. I have seen a few R32 on the morning rush hour (Z), but I did not see any R32 last week, not even packing at the middle track of 111st st. So I guess there are only very few sets(less than 3?) of R32 running on (J)(Z) nowadays. 

By the way, I did notice that (J)(Z) have much less delays after they swapped out R32/R42.

All R32s are on the (A)(C) now. None of them are on the BMT anymore.

5 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

https://erausa.org/pdf/bulletin/2018/2018-12-bulletin.pdf

40 R32 on (A) and 56 R32 on (C) In Nov 2018.

This is outdated

There's about 8-10 sets of R32's on the (C)

There's about 4-6 sets of R32's on the (A)

After 1/31/18, 0 R32's on the (J) / (Z)

After last month 0 R160's on the (C)

All 222 R32's are at 207th st

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

This is outdated

There's about 8-10 sets of R32's on the (C)

There's about 4-6 sets of R32's on the (A)

After 1/31/18, 0 R32's on the (J) / (Z)

After last month 0 R160's on the (C)

All 222 R32's are at 207th st

To late to edit but I ment to say 12/31/18 , not 1/31/18

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's an 42 in service on the (J) right now. Didn't see it but heard it on the EL, knew it was an 42 cause there was no AC traction motor noise when it came to a stop. 

That's confirmed for March 4.  Consist was 4801/4800-4807/4806-4790/4791-4805/4804.  N to S.  A slightly different arrangement than last Wednesday.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, m2fwannabe said:

That's confirmed for March 4.  Consist was 4801/4800-4807/4806-4790/4791-4805/4804.  N to S.  A slightly different arrangement than last Wednesday.

There is another set r42 running on j with two 484x, four 483x, and two 481x

8 hours ago, whz1995 said:

There is another set r42 running on j with two 484x, four 483x, and two 481x

The MK R-42's have been scattershot this week, running some days (like Friday, March 8 at least) but not at all on others.

They also keep cycling back and forth to ENY as required on a 1-for-1 basis, so if looking for them at this time, its purely a matter of chance (or more accurately, need).

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's no 484x on the (J) :either 480x or 482x

Yeah, you are right. I tried to remember the car# at the very last second and I failed to do so. What I am sure that the R42 I saw is different than the one that was observed on 3/4. There are at least two sets of R42 on the J now.

I think it's safe to say that they need to split the R32 fleet again. Having all at 207th isn't cutting it. When they had the fleet split like before (ENY and 207th) they ran alot better. 

They need to just bite the bullet and just send 102 cars to Coney island for (B) service while the rest can stay on the (A) or (C) lines. 

They can just turn the R32's at Jay st since the switch was redone. Coney Island gonna need extra cars anyway so it would just be smart to run them on the (B), originally the (G) was gonna get em but the (G) is staying the same way. So the (B) is the only option. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I think it's safe to say that they need to split the R32 fleet again. Having all at 207th isn't cutting it. When they had the fleet split like before (ENY and 207th) they ran alot better. 

They need to just bite the bullet and just send 102 cars to Coney island for (B) service while the rest can stay on the (A) or (C) lines. 

They can just turn the R32's at Jay st since the switch was redone. Coney Island gonna need extra cars anyway so it would just be smart to run them on the (B), originally the (G) was gonna get em but the (G) is staying the same way. So the (B) is the only option. 

I think the (C) line is taxing on the cars even though its a part time line, even the 160s were beat up when 207th had those cars. I think it only has 1 layup after the AM rush and the rest of the trains are running all day until the line stops running late evenings.

I thought I was the only one who noticed the 32s on the (C) kind of run like crap, brakes slow to release, grunting motors, screeching brakes, etc. They ran a lot better when ENY had the 32s. Even though its the same yard, the ones on the (A) seem to run better.

Edited by trainfan22

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think the (C) line is taxing on the cars even though its a part time line, even the 160s were beat up when 207th had those cars. I think it only has 1 layup after the AM rush and the rest of the trains are running all day until the line stops running late evenings.

I thought I was the only one who noticed the 32s on the (C) kind of run like crap, brakes slow to release, grunting motors, screeching brakes, etc. They ran a lot better when ENY had the 32s. Even though its the same yard, the ones on the (A) seem to run better.

There are several subway lines that have this issue, where there is no real change between rush hour and midday service/weekend servce

the (3) (C) (G) and (Q) have their train sets run essentially all day (not including the shuttles) because of the marginal difference between rush hour and non rush hour levels.

to reduce the R32 usage, ~40 would have to go back to the (J) and run as the (Z) trips (one full round trip max per rush hour)?and most of the remaining trains would have to be placed on the (A) and schedule them so that they only make 1/2 to one round trip at most during AM rush hours and during PM hours, make them run the Rockaway Park trains (1/2 trip):

Edited by darkstar8983

On 3/15/2019 at 6:09 PM, Eagle Railfanning said:

Ever since R179 #3190-3197 entered service, there have been no major swaps to my knowledge. The last major swap that happened was the last R160 leaving the (C). Do you have any information about the swaps caused by #3198-3205 and #3206-3213 entering service? @m2fwannabe

The final moves 207 to ENY occured on February 6.

The MK R-42's were barely hanging on this past week.  Usually one set far down in the (J)(Z) cycle each weekday.  Actual revenue usage cannot be verified.

Also no more than one train of R-143's on (J)(Z) daily.

Having said that, there were three R-42's set up for the (J)(Z) on Friday the 15th.  Again usage can't be verified but at least one or two should have been out there roaming somewhere.

That might indicate a little shortcoming on the NTT side as much as anything.

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

What about 24/7 lines?  You could have a trainset running day after day after day, including on the A line with 40 y/o R46's and 30 year old R68's on the D/G for example.  A train is laid up in accordance to if it falls into a scheduled layup spot or if the train in the lay up spot has to swapped with a train in a non layup spot because it has been requested by the barn or a set is due for inspection.  What about lines with 2 or 3 PM Put ins?  Surely some trains on that line will be running 24/7 because there are many more than that running on the midnight on that line.  What about weekends?  Only a few Sat. &  Sun. AM put ins (trains on first trip of the day) till nighttime layups.  Therefore, those trains will run all weekend 24/7.  As a t/o, the last thing I want to operate is a put in.   I want a train that has been running with all components "warmed up" rather than a train sitting around for  hours (or days) while most all components have been idle. 

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

What about 24/7 lines?  You could have a trainset running day after day after day, including on the A line with 40 y/o R46's and 30 year old R68's on the D/G for example.  A train is laid up in accordance to if it falls into a scheduled layup spot or if the train in the lay up spot has to swapped with a train in a non layup spot because it has been requested by the barn or a set is due for inspection.  What about lines with 2 or 3 PM Put ins?  Surely some trains on that line will be running 24/7 because there are many more than that running on the midnight on that line.  What about weekends?  Only a few Sat. &  Sun. AM put ins (trains on first trip of the day) till nighttime layups.  Therefore, those trains will run all weekend 24/7.  As a t/o, the last thing I want to operate is a put in.   I want a train that has been running with all components "warmed up" rather than a train sitting around for  hours (or days) while most all components have been idle. 

I was guessing as to why the 32's on the (C) line seem to run so poorly.

Never knew that in regards to the last sentence of your post (Subway car components getting warmed up).