Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

48 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The MTA stopped mass retirements after the car shortage back in 2009/2010 because they had retired a ton of R32s/R42s which caused problems when the R44s had to also be retired. I'd expect the R42s to be kept as a spare factor and quietly retired given their low numbers; the R32s will probably go a few sets at a time when the R211s first arrive but probably disappear quickly after the cars are proven reliable.  

If I was the MTA, I would run the R42s on low usage route. I think the best place for them would be on the Rockaway Park (S). That way you can put some R46 on the main line and the R42s can do there little Runs on the Rockaway Shuttle.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

If I was the MTA, I would run the R42s on low usage route. I think the best place for them would be on the Rockaway Park (S). That way you can put some R46 on the main line and the R42s can do there little Runs on the Rockaway Shuttle.

Can't use 42s on the Rock Park shuttle cause they don't have full width cabs for OPTO.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, Q23 via 108 said:

I Would use the R211s on the Rockaway Park (S) because R211s would replace the Crappy R46s, R211s has USB, Internet and Announcements.

8 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

I Would use the R211s on the Rockaway Park (S) because R211s would replace the Crappy R46s, R211s has USB, Internet and Announcements.

A few things

-please put everything in one post; we don't need 3 separate ones

-R211s on the shuttle are a waste given its low capacity; it will probably stick with R46s until they retire and then maybe get a few R179 sets bumped from the mainline.

11 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Kid, they're not gonna put the newest cars in the system on the least used lines. The Rockaway Park (S) shuttle is likely going to stick with R46s until they are fully retired by the R211s. Don't make a big deal out of a lowly used line like the shuttle. Give me a break.

8 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Kid, they're not gonna put the newest cars in the system on the least used lines. 

With that said. Would it be likely to see some R68s on the Rockaway Shuttle given that the R68s will be the oldest in the fleet. The Rockaways don't need tech trains.

8 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Kid, they're not gonna put the newest cars in the system on the least used lines. The Rockaway Park (S) shuttle is likely going to stick with R46s until they are fully retired by the R211s. Don't make a big deal out of a lowly used line like the shuttle. Give me a break.

6 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

With that said. Would it be likely to see some R68s on the Rockaway Shuttle given that the R68s will be the oldest in the fleet. The Rockaways don't need tech trains.

Except you guys forget to realize that the Rockaway Park Shuttle is based out of Pitkin Yard which is the same yard the (A) Train is based out of so running R211s on the Shuttle is not really impossible at all and in fact likely.

32 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Except you guys forget to realize that the Rockaway Park Shuttle is based out of Pitkin Yard which is the same yard the (A) Train is based out of so running R211s on the Shuttle is not really impossible at all and in fact likely.

No duh. I was simply making a generalized statement. I never once implied that R211s or any other new subway car for that matter were impossible to run on the Rockaway Park Shuttle. They can, but I doubt they will right away (meaning as soon as it hits regular service) for the aforementioned reasons.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

So, as far as I'm concerned, the R32s will be remaining at 207th Street Yard for (A)/(C) service for the remainder of their lifespans. When it comes to the R42s, I predict they'll see a similar fate on the (J) out of East New York Yard.

Honestly as soon as all the R179s are here I see no use for keeping the R42s around anymore.

30 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Honestly as soon as all the R179s are here I see no use for keeping the R42s around anymore.

What they could do is keep them in storage, just so they're available if they're absolutely needed—for example, if some defection is found on the 8-car R179s that has a few sets taken out-of-service for inspection and repair that warrants a few temporary substitutes. They'll most likely be kept around (not necessarily for passenger service) until the R32s are scrapped.

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

What they could do is keep them in storage, just so they're available if they're absolutely needed—for example, if some defection is found on the 8-car R179s that has a few sets taken out-of-service for inspection and repair that warrants a few temporary substitutes. They'll most likely be kept around (not necessarily for passenger service) until the R32s are scrapped.

Actually two of the R42 are in services as (Z)  in morning rush hour. I am not sure about the evening rush hour. I dont see the reason running them since ENY has extra R160 and R143. 

7 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

So, as far as I'm concerned, the R32s will be remaining at 207th Street Yard for (A)/(C) service for the remainder of their lifespans. When it comes to the R42s, I predict they'll see a similar fate on the (J) out of East New York Yard.

Yea the R32's will stay at 207th until retirement. R42's will likely be on the (A) as spares. As of now the R32's are still being sms'ed at 207th st and ta is putting money into them (finally) and their mdbf has improved by 3,000 miles vs. Last year.  There's two reasons for that. 1st reason is R179 issues and 2nd the R46's are aging terrible now. 

25 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

Actually two of the R42 are in services as (Z)  in morning rush hour. I am not sure about the evening rush hour. I dont see the reason running them since ENY has extra R160 and R143. 

R160's getting sms and cbtc upgrades and R179 teething problems is the reason why the R42's are still needed.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Yea the R32's will stay at 207th until retirement. R42's will likely be on the (A) as spares. As of now the R32's are still being sms'ed at 207th st and ta is putting money into them (finally) and their mdbf has improved by 3,000 miles vs. Last year.  There's two reasons for that. 1st reason is R179 issues and 2nd the R46's are aging terrible now. 

what is sms? so R179s are being Retired? R179s should not be retired it needs to be fixed ASAP.

19 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

what is sms? so R179s are being Retired? R179s should not be retired it needs to be fixed ASAP.

SMS = Special Maintenance Service

The R179s are not getting retired until 40 years from now at the MINIMUM. The TA is not gonna retire cars that are less than 5 years old and cost a million+ per car.

The 179s might have teething issues that need to be sorted out so the old SMEE's will pinch hit for the 179s from time to time.

10 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

What is SMS? So the R179s are being retired? R179s should not be retired it needs to be fixed ASAP.

SMS is an acronym that stands for Scheduled Maintenance System, not "Special Maintenance Service." The R179s are the newest subway cars in the entire system! Why the hell would the (MTA)spend hundreds of millions of dollars only to retire them when they're absolutely needed to support the modernization of the subway system?!

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

SMS = Special Maintenance Service

The R179s are not getting retired until 40 years from now at the MINIMUM. The TA is not gonna retire cars that are less than 5 years old and cost a million+ per car.

The 179s might have teething issues that need to be sorted out so the old SMEE's will pinch hit for the 179s from time to time.

What would have happened to R160s 40-50 years from now?

47 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

What would have happened to R160s 40-50 years from now?

Presumably retired. If we call the lifespan of a subway car about 40 years, that would mean that the R160s (now about 10 years old, scary to think 😬)  would be 50-60 by then, and unless we end up with another R32 situation they will most likely be headed for the scrapyards.

Just now, ibroketheprinter said:

Presumably retired. If we call the lifespan of a subway car about 40 years, that would mean that the R160s (now about 10 years old, scary to think 😬)  would be 50-60 by then, and unless we end up with another R32 situation they will most likely be headed for the scrapyards.

I Love the R160s and R179s, I Gonna Miss them in next 40-50 years. RIP R160s 2006-2059/2069. Which Trains will replace R160s in Next 40-50 Years?