Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Would R32s exist in next 50 years from now?

Depends. I imagine there would be a few subway cars preserved (some would be saved as a form of Amercian pride as it is fully built and manufactured in the U.S., plus it's status as the oldest operating subway train in the world) but many would be scrapped. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

The ones still in the subway system would most likely be static displays as the entire system will mostly be CBTC by then. 

Thats why y'all better enjoy the museum cars running though the system while you can, as more and more parts of the system gets CBTC less places they can run.

Edited by trainfan22

8 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd imagine that even with CBTC and no AWS, the TA would probably still install CBTC on at least the TOMC and Holiday Train if possible... if they have to retrofit work trains with it they might as well do it for the main vintage trains...

It will be interesting to see in the future what sort of decision we make in regards to the Museum Fleet. At what point does modification of the historic fleet come to a point where they are no longer the same car? Is it worth the cost? These are issues that need a deeper look into as the signaling system of the subway modernizes as the years unfold. 

34 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

At what point does modification of the historic fleet come to a point where they are no longer the same car?

I think something like adding some onboard computing equipment and a few transponders, and probably an axle counter, wouldn't be changing the car to a degree where it loses its historic value. Were they to require something like AC motors, updated door controls, etc. for this to happen, then it's a different discussion. I know some R62/As were equipped with CBTC for trash pickup along the (7) 

25 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

I think something like adding some onboard computing equipment and a few transponders, and probably an axle counter, wouldn't be changing the car to a degree where it loses its historic value. Were they to require something like AC motors, updated door controls, etc. for this to happen, then it's a different discussion. I know some R62/As were equipped with CBTC for trash pickup along the (7) 

I hadn't heard about the CBTC conversion of some R62/As. Why didn't they consider doing this for revenue cars?

2 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

It will be interesting to see in the future what sort of decision we make in regards to the Museum Fleet. At what point does modification of the historic fleet come to a point where they are no longer the same car? Is it worth the cost? 

This is the reason I suspect LIRR and MN doesn't have an historic fleet, they would have to keep getting modded due to FRA rules. 

So guys, they haven't been running any R46s on the (C) as of late and there are only a set or two of R32s on the (A) that show up whenever the dispatcher wants them to. I think it's been like this for the past two weeks now. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

So guys, they haven't been running any R46s on the (C) as of late and there are only a set or two of R32s on the (A) that show up whenever the dispatcher wants them to. I think it's been like this for the past two weeks now. I could be wrong.

I haven't seen a single set of R46s on the (C) for awhile now, and I frequent the line often. It seems everything went back to normal with the R32s being the (C)'s workhorse and the (A)having a stronghold on the R46s, as usual. Way back when, we relied on the higher ups on here for verification with respect to any fleet swaps, but they've abandoned discussing this topic entirely.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

14 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I haven't seen a single set of R46s on the (C) for awhile now, and I frequent the line often. It seems everything went back to normal with the R32s being the (C)'s workhorse and the (A)having a stronghold on the R46s, as usual. Way back when, we relied on the higher ups on here for verification with respect to any fleet swaps, but they've abandoned discussing this topic entirely.

nah, I saw one R46 (C) earlier this week. And yesterday, there was one R32 (C) and one R32 (A) pulled in the station at the same time. It is weird that I take the (A) at about the same time during weekdays, sometimes I saw bunch of R32 (C) and sometimes I saw bunch of R179 (C) 

6 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

I also think the (A) line crew prefer to operate R46 more than R32, and (C) uses R32 and R179 which is more than enough. And (A) uses R46, R68/68A, R179.

I know that. Dan05979, one of the transit employees who posts on the forums from time to time, explained that a little while ago in this thread, particularly.

However, the problem I have with the (MTA) is that on their 2017 Subway Action Plan, they stated that the (C) will become full-length, particularly for the (L) shutdown. And then comes along Andrew Cuomo, who had the nerve to step in last minute to see if the original proposed full-time 15 month (L) shutdown was worthwhile. Pissed me off too, since that was a pretty slick and snide move in an attempt to make himself look good. In general though, if the (MTA) didn’t want the (C) to be full-length, they could have just said so like they first did in their full review of the (A) and (C) lines released back in December 2015. Instead, the agency tends to lack common sense a lot most of the time and constantly changing their minds every now and then.

Edited by Jemorie

12 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

The R62As on the 7 ash do not have CBTC. They operate under AWS.

My bad, then. I was under the impression that they had equipped the ones on the 7 to run with CBTC.

Still, I assume if, come 40-50 years from now, the whole system is CBTC, they might possibly be able to equip the museum fleet to be CBTC-compatible. If not, assuming we still have wayside backups, I figure they could just run those trains during periods of low usage to minimize service disruption. 

29 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(C) doesn't really need to be full length that's what the (A) is for.

That's NOT the point. The (MTA) said they would lengthen all (C) trains to support the displaced passengers from the (L)train, but they accomplished nothing. If only the governor didn't pull ideas out of his ass at the last minute... 

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(C) doesn't really need to be full length that's what the (A) is for.

Lol I think I remember who you are. You were that little smartass that kept back-talking whenever people including me were trying to explain to you why the older cars or the 75 footers are not as fast as they used to be. I think this was the Random Thoughts Thread a while ago.

But that’s not the point. Yes. It does need to be full-length or run a little bit more frequently using existing 8-car trains. The agency is no longer short on cars anyway.

Edited by Jemorie

Lol I think I remember who you are. You were that little smartass that kept back-talking whenever people including me were trying to explain to you why the older cars or the 75 footers are not as fast as they used to be. I think this was the Random Thoughts Thread a while ago.

But that’s not the point. Yes. It does need to be full-length or run a little bit more frequently using existing 8-car trains. The agency is no longer short on cars anyway.

First of all the reason (C) is still using small length trains because long length (C) not needed riders need (A) more (C) . You smart ass.

Edited by bwwnyc123

34 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Riders from (L) could transfer to lines other than (A)(C) .

Also NTT's are faster than older cars you all are too dumb to see that.

You need to chill with that insulting back-talk dude. Maintain a healthy level of maturity on here or ignore what you don't agree with and move on.