Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

On 8/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, R32 3838 said:

Probably hvac related, this is why they should have never left the (J). The (C) could have went mostly tech and the (A) could have used the other half of the R32 fleet.

Agreed. They could’ve kept the (C) all R179 and kept the (J) with R32’s. Especially since the (L) shutdown got shut down by Cuomo. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VIP said:

Agreed. They could’ve kept the (C) all R179 and kept the (J) with R32’s. Especially since the (L) shutdown got shut down by Cuomo. 

Had the 10-car R179 trains been in service already, the R32s could have been placed into storage until the summer was over, and then do the R46 transfers to Jamaica. The (A) would have had the 13 R179 10-car trains, with some R46s filling in the ranks for the R32s and run with the 8-car R179s. I wonder how many more years until the order is complete. I bet the pilot R211 train will show up before the last R179 10-car train is rolling.

31 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Had the 10-car R179 trains been in service already, the R32s could have been placed into storage until the summer was over, and then do the R46 transfers to Jamaica. The (A) would have had the 13 R179 10-car trains, with some R46s filling in the ranks for the R32s and run with the 8-car R179s. I wonder how many more years until the order is complete. I bet the pilot R211 train will show up before the last R179 10-car train is rolling.

The last R179 is supposed to arrive in September. The first R211 is due in June of 2020.

51 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

They would have still ran the R32's. The R179's are still having issues plus the cars with the bad welds are being re-welded. So the R32's are needed for service. It's probably the cars on the (C) since they run all day and it's an all local route. The ones on the (A) gets laid up after rush hour with the exeption of a few sets. 

Imo they should have never taken half the fleet off the (J) . They rushed to get all the smees off the eastern division just for the shutdown and it ended up getting canceled. 

The R32's had less issues on the (J) compared to the (C) and they ran the R32's just about 24/7 on the (J) for 6 years straight. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 11:04 PM, R32 3838 said:

The R32's had less issues on the (J) compared to the (C) and they ran the R32's just about 24/7 on the (J) for 6 years straight. 

The R32s are in their 50s. Just because the (J) is mostly outdoors doesn't mean the R32s have (or had) "less issues". In fact, they've also had their fair share of problems on the line as well. I've heard when they first started running on the line in Summer 2013, their A/Cs took a nose dive on them. And the R32s' breakdown rates are still higher than any other car type to this very day. The R32s are not reliable as they use to be and it doesn't matter where you put them. They will always have problems no matter where they go so.

Edited by Jemorie

On 8/21/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jemorie said:

The R32s are in their 50s. Just because the (J) is mostly outdoors doesn't mean the R32s have (or had) "less issues". In fact, they've also had their fair share of problems on the line as well. I've heard when they first started running on the line in Summer 2013, their A/Cs took a nose dive on them. And the R32s' breakdown rates are still higher than any other car type to this very day. The R32s are not reliable as they use to be and it doesn't matter where you put them. They will always have problems no matter where they go so.

I rode them on the (J) daily, they were the better trains. For example 3900/01 had minimal issues when it was at ENY. I rode the same pair on the (C) a few days ago and it ran like complete garbage. 

The amount of hot cars on the (J) were low when they were on there. Even the (C) had cold cars these past few summers until this summer.

ENY did a better job with these cars than 207th, now that pitkin is getting back R32's since 2008 we shall see which ones are maintained better

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, P3F said:

What's up with the R68s? They don't seem to be doing too hot; they're almost down to R46 level.

The (D) is a long line and IIRC the (G) doesn't have any layups after the AM Rush... that plus the cars are getting old equals dropping MDBF is my theory. 

Edited by trainfan22

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (C) needs to be full length already

Just use the R32's, R46's and 10 car R179's as well as the R42's (ENY) don't need em anymore.

Send the 8 car R179's to the (G) with some R32's. 

There's enough cars to do this now. 

The budget isn’t there though. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

The small marginal maintenance/crew cost incurred w/ 600' trains would likely be outweighed by the runtime savings incurred through shorter dwells b/c less end-loading. 

Let’s be realistic here, transit isn’t going to spend any extra money they don’t feel they need to.

10 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Let’s be realistic here, transit isn’t going to spend any extra money they don’t feel they need to.

Yeah. But the sometimes myopic way MTA analyzes cost structures frequently works against it — there are many cases where doing something good would, well, be good, but would also *save* the agency money. This is (possibly) one such case. 

20 hours ago, VIP said:

The budget isn’t there though. 

They got the money, they were gonna do this with the R46's being on the (C). Once Joe lohta left, they quietly started taking R46's off the (C) with a few random pop ups. One ran recently as of yesterday. 

Ridership is growing, they need to go with the flow. The (G) badly needs more cars. 

On 10/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, R32 3838 said:

The (C) needs to be full length already

Just use the R32's, R46's and 10 car R179's as well as the R42's (ENY) don't need em anymore.

Send the 8 car R179's to the (G) with some R32's. 

There's enough cars to do this now. 

I agreed with you 100%, they do need 600ft Trains on C.

2 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

I agreed with you 100%, they do need 600ft Trains on C.

600ft cars just to serve CPW? That is what the (B) local is for. I’ve never operated a (C) that had heavy ridership except for running along CPW. On 8 Avenue, riders bail for the (A) . The (C) is fine with 8 car trains at the moment. As for the (G) they need the 480ft consists at least on weekdays. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

600ft cars just to serve CPW? That is what the (B) local is for. I’ve never operated a (C) that had heavy ridership except for running along CPW. On 8 Avenue, riders bail for the (A) . The (C) is fine with 8 car trains at the moment. As for the (G) they need the 480ft consists at least on weekdays. 

Try riding the n/b (C) out of Brooklyn during the AM rush. Legitimately one of the more miserable experiences there is — the gentrification of Fort Greene and (G) transfers slam those trains.