Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

5 hours ago, RR503 said:

Try riding the n/b (C) out of Brooklyn during the AM rush. Legitimately one of the more miserable experiences there is — the gentrification of Fort Greene and (G) transfers slam those trains. 

To be honest off peak the (C) riders drop a lot. It’s only packed during AM/PM peak

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/14/2019 at 10:57 AM, RR503 said:

Try riding the n/b (C) out of Brooklyn during the AM rush. Legitimately one of the more miserable experiences there is — the gentrification of Fort Greene and (G) transfers slam those trains. 

They can learn how to ride a bike if it’s an issue. 

• 1 month later...

Been a little while, but for the record there were 4 trains of R-46's (32 cars) moved from Pitkin (A) to Jamaica ((F)(R)) when the first few trains of R-179's landed at Pitkin ((A)).  Numbers were 5846-5877 and the last move was accomplished in late August.  No other secondary changes have been noted to the existing B-Division fleet.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Quite Early but I guess it’s an end of an era for 160’s at CI yard

they'll still have 120+ at coney island

edit might be 85 cars left. Jamaica has 49.5 sets of R46's

Edited by R32 3838

39 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

they'll still have 120+ at coney island

edit might be 85 cars left. Jamaica has 49.5 sets of R46's

If 250 of the 258 five-car sets are getting CBTC, that would leave 40 cars for CI. I’d figure the other cars would go to Jamaica.

Edited by SimplyMyself
Typo

1 hour ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Quite Early but I guess it’s an end of an era for 160’s at CI yard

Is it official or a temporary assignment due to lack of available spare cars in Coney Island (low spare factor).

especially since more of Jamaica’s R160s are appearing on the (N)(Q)(W)

Edited by darkstar8983

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They'll be back

Yes, or in the end, likely the Coney Island R160s need to become CBTC compatible for Astoria’s eventual CBTC conversión which has been moved up to the first batch of corridors to be upgraded (even though the earlier plan in 2015 was to place the R160s for Queens Blvd CBTC). So maybe Jamaica’s R160s (which I assume are already CBTC ready) are placeholders for the Coney Island ones (just like how they did during the 2017 state of emergency), and then they will he swapped back (with maybe Jamaica ending up with a net loss of R160s due to the pending R211 order, unless the R211s will be used for 8th Avenue and Astoria).  There’s probably still a lot to do to get CBTC ready on Queens Blvd anyways, looking back at how Flushing’s CBTC went. It took until April 2019 to iron out the kinks and automate properly (even though automation had started in phases since 2018), while the swap between the (6) and (7) started years earlier (2013-2015 I think).

on top of this, the leftover R160s will become an oddball fleet, which is why I suggest each yard is responsible for maintaining 2 types of cars. Otherwise, a couple of yards will have oddball cars that will not be properly maintained along with their “main fleet”

current assumed plan

- Jamaica - R160 only

- Coney Island - R68, R68A, R46, oddball R160s

- Pitkin & 207 St - R46, R32, R179

- East New York- R143, R160, R179 ( (J) R160s become oddballs)

suggested - keep cars where they are and when R211s show up:

Jamaica - R211 (E)(F), R160 (leftover (F) and all (R)). 8-car R160 for (M)

Coney Island - as is, but additional R160s to increase spare factor and remove R68/R68A from (N)(W) . R68/R68A remain on (B)(D) 

Pitkin/207 St - R211

ENY - all 8-car trains (R211 4-car units anticipated for (L) along with R143s), R179 for (J), R160 for (M) 

Edited by darkstar8983

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

5582-86 to Coney Island yard

The R160/R46 swap begins

Not yet. They’re there for repairs R46 5582-5586. If the swaps were happening, Coney Island would have gotten 207st’s R46’s directly Not Jamaica yard. And that alleged cuomo set R160 unit was from the (R)  More R46’s have been assigned to the (F) and the (R) still manages to have 1-2 sets of R160’s during the week, and like 3-4 sets on sundays. 

29 minutes ago, VIP said:

Not yet. They’re there for repairs R46 5582-5586. If the swaps were happening, Coney Island would have gotten 207st’s R46’s directly Not Jamaica yard. And that alleged cuomo set R160 unit was from the (R)  More R46’s have been assigned to the (F) and the (R) still manages to have 1-2 sets of R160’s during the week, and like 3-4 sets on sundays. 

A reliable source confirmed its apart of CI's fleet now. with all the Queens crew doing cbtc training at corona and on the (L) it all makes sense.

4 hours ago, VIP said:

3 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I would wait until these trains are actually spotted in service in their new yards before declaring them transfers. Cars not assigned to CI often go there for maintenance, or repairs, as stated above.

Exactly. I saw a whole lot of R46s on the (F) yesterday and I rode one of them. Cars not assigned to CI are often there for overhauls, not everyday maintenance and inspection.

Edited by Jemorie

4 hours ago, VIP said:

5582 was in service on the (G) yesterday