Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Today as i was coming back from visting my family i saw a r160 siemens, Not in service bypassing 36st heading uptown to who knows where. 

After this, i got off the D and like right after the D train left another r160 siemens set bypassed the station i think it was deadheading to coney island yard.

Maybe theyre gonna start transfering them over? 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I have a feeling that the (R) line at the very least will still be using 46's past Dec 23rd. Only 2 and a half sets of out like what 45? sets of R46s have been transferred so far and were already at December 9th. They can probably only transfer like 1 or 2 sets a day at most? Yea CBTC will only be starting on the express tracks but service disruptions and G.O's... 

Old signals will likely be reactivated/CBTC placed in bypass for those sorts of disruptions 

I wonder in the short time that the (N) and (W) had those R46’s running on them if some people got on the R46 (N)(W)  thinking it was an (R) just because the (R) has been running with R46’s for probably over 30 years already. I don’t know how long the R46’s have been at Jamaica, all I know is that they symbolic to the R line.  When I think of the (R) line I think of the R46. The QBL is going to have no type of diversity once all the R46’s are gone. 

Y’all got it all wrong. Don’t know where y’all getting car class assignments from, but its inaccurate. There’s a special plan for the siemens R160’s and where they’ll end up. But, I’m just gonna sit back and let y’all carry on. 😉

27 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

All of the Siemens R160s should stay with Coney Island.

They can't, there's 260 of them. About 170 or all of them has to go to jamaica

Imo all of them are going

Btw the (Q) isn't getting R46's unless they need a train. They're mainly for the (B)(N)(W)

Edited by R32 3838

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder in the short time that the (N) and (W) had those R46’s running on them if some people got on the R46 (N)(W)  thinking it was an (R) just because the (R) has been running with R46’s for probably over 30 years already. I don’t know how long the R46’s have been at Jamaica, all I know is that they symbolic to the R line.  When I think of the (R) line I think of the R46. The QBL is going to have no type of diversity once all the R46’s are gone. 

Yeah people do confuse them and think its an R.

Ive rode the r46 N many times because i use the line everyday and people do get confused. People get in and ask is this an R is this an R? Then the conductor has clarify that its an N. I mean it has N signage all over but people are not used to it

10 hours ago, VIP said:

Y’all got it all wrong. Don’t know where y’all getting car class assignments from, but its inaccurate. There’s a special plan for the siemens R160’s and where they’ll end up. But, I’m just gonna sit back and let y’all carry on. 😉

Oh they're actually doing it?! Color me surprised...

17 hours ago, VIP said:

It will be very interesting if they follow through on this.

17 hours ago, VIP said:

My money is on Concourse or Pitkin

On 12/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, trainfan22 said:

I have a feeling that the (R) line at the very least will still be using 46's past Dec 23rd. Only 2 and a half sets of out like what 45? sets of R46s have been transferred so far and were already at December 9th. They can probably only transfer like 1 or 2 sets a day at most? Yea CBTC will only be starting on the express tracks but service disruptions and G.O's... 

Exactly and also i agree with you and @RR503

Edited by subwayfan1998

On 12/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, trainfan22 said:

Where did you hear this bizarre rumor? There’s no December 23rd deadline for anything down here. This CBTC swap has a “Projected” completion. The process of this swap will be at a similar pace to when the (6) lost it’s R142A’s to the (7) 

8 minutes ago, VIP said:

Where did you hear this bizarre rumor? There’s no December 23rd deadline for anything down here. This CBTC swap has a “Projected” completion. The process of this swap will be at a similar pace to when the (6) lost it’s R142A’s to the (7) 

Uh, on here..? I read on here that CBTC will start testing with passenger trains between Roosevelt and 71st on the express tracks starting Dec 23rd. I *thought* they would want CBTC equipped trains only but @RR503 answered my question already as to how things will be handled.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Doesn't help that the signs on those transferred R46s are busted. 

I feel that Coney Island will care about fixing the signs more than Jamaica ever did. I don’t recall Pitkin’s R46’s having as many busted signs like Jamaica’s do. For the most part people know that if an R46 shows up along the Queens Blvd, Broadway and 4th Ave line it is an (R) train despite the sign being busted. Of course the (F) uses them too on the QBL but it’s usually mostly during rush hours when service is usually running normal.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I feel that Coney Island will care about fixing the signs more than Jamaica ever did. I don’t recall Pitkin’s R46’s having as many busted signs like Jamaica’s do. For the most part people know that if an R46 shows up along the Queens Blvd, Broadway and 4th Ave line it is an (R) train despite the sign being busted. Of course the (F) uses them too on the QBL but it’s usually mostly during rush hours when service is usually running normal.

the signs are busted on any line including the (A) . the signs are from 1990-91, they're old and after they updated the signs again in 2016-17 they became more unreliable.

when the R46's were on the (C) , Most of the signs were M to broad st because the update screwed up the signs and some of the new codes didn't register with some cars.

Edited by R32 3838

On 12/10/2019 at 12:31 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

22 hours ago, lyncdesert- said:

Yeah people do confuse them and think its an R.

Ive rode the r46 N many times because i use the line everyday and people do get confused. People get in and ask is this an R is this an R? Then the conductor has clarify that its an N. I mean it has N signage all over but people are not used to it

I haven’t ridden an R46 on the (N)(W) (personally never will anyway unless it’s an emergency in which I need an alternative), but based on what you guys claimed, that’s because people are used to every car assignment that lasts for years on end. Anybody that sees an R62 pull up on the 7 Av express tracks or in a Brooklyn IRT station, everyone knows it’s a (3). Likewise, anyone that sees an R68/A pull up onto a CPW or 6 Av station, everyone knows it’s a (B) or (D). The first couple of days of the (A) / (C) car swap back in the Summers of 2011 and 2012, anytime an R32 (A) pulled in, some people assumed it was a (C) making express stops to Euclid or 168. People memorize these trains because they ride them or used to ride them all the time going to work or school or places of entertainment. That’s just how it is.

But also keep in mind that people don’t even use their damn electronics to check the MTA Subway app and the (MTA) is foolish for having almost every B Division station (dunno about the (L) tho) consisting of only one or two countdown clocks on display near the end or in the middle of the platform. But yet, people spend so much time texting their doggone friends or family. And yet (in addition), the (MTA) can waste so much time and money spent on various countdown clocks that only show the time and the date in almost every B Division station (not sure about the (L)). *Shaking my head*

On 12/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, lyncdesert- said:

Today as i was coming back from visting my family i saw a r160 siemens, Not in service bypassing 36st heading uptown to who knows where. 

After this, i got off the D and like right after the D train left another r160 siemens set bypassed the station i think it was deadheading to coney island yard.

Maybe theyre gonna start transfering them over? 

It was a rerouted R160 F via West End when heading to Coney Island, headed back out of service afterwards for some odd reason

Edited by DaPr03