Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

They had some compressor work done at CIY over the last few months. I only saw about 4 R42s there at any one time. I don't think any other work was done on them though.

Theres about 2 sets (one of them being 4788/9) with a repainted front end...dunno if that has something to do with the SMS or not

As of now the R44's in the Coney Island Yard can't be brought back. They got damaged by Hurricane Irene earlier this year. The water flooded the yard and damaged the R44's. The chance of seeing them again is nil.

Your chance of seeing ANY R44 back in service is nil...remember, their frame problems had all of them retired

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The R44's are retired. None are coming back, you can take that to the bank.

Extra trains come to the L via having a lower spare factor. Nothing gets taken from the J/M. In fact, they've each had a trainset added recently.

I don't know because 16 trainsets are gonna get added, thats 128 cars (8 car trains) they are gonna need some extras As for the R44's I don't care if they don't comeback because their garbage but they are gonna need atleast 6-8 more trains because i still think they are gonna need a few R32's to full in the blank, If the R42's are not listed for SMS they might retire before 2017, they look bad and i did hear something regarding the R42's but we don't know about their future

I don't know because 16 trainsets are gonna get added, thats 128 cars (8 car trains) they are gonna need some extras As for the R44's I don't care if they don't comeback because their garbage but they are gonna need atleast 6-8 more trains because i still think they are gonna need a few R32's to full in the blank, If the R42's are not listed for SMS they might retire before 2017, they look bad and i did hear something regarding the R42's but we don't know about their future

no from what I heard it's 16 extra trips... 16 extra trains would over crowd the L

I think they do that at 207th, as part of the SMS the interior will be repainted like the R160s.

why must everything be R160-related? They done screwed up with the R46s with their half-assed interiors. They really couldve done more to that interior (but thats gor amother thread)

Guest lance25
I think they do that at 207th, as part of the SMS the interior will be repainted like the R160s.

why must everything be R160-related? They done screwed up with the R46s with their half-assed interiors. They really couldve done more to that interior (but thats gor amother thread)

I agree. In my opinion, the interior is one of the best things about the R32s. Regardless of what some may think about them, why mess with the interiors? What exactly is the point in making them look like R160s? It's not like they're adding R160 amenities to these trains, so why bother changing their appearance? Do they think some poor (C) line rider is going to be pleased that the cars don't look as old as they used to? They'll still be nearly 50 years old and the oldest fleet in the NYC Subway system. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. All they need to do is make sure these trains will run and not fall apart until the R179 order is completed.

New interior colors for older cars that match the newest fleet is nothing new. It was done to Lo-Vs, ABs, and R-1-9s when they were overhauled near the ends of their lives. I would not be too surprised if the 50 R42 receive a similar paint job if they keep them around.

so is it safe to assume that they're going to repaint the benches too? and I sure hope they replace the windows and add Mylar to newly installed window glasses, that will most definitely make the R32's look more refreshing. as for the R42's I doubt they'll get interiors painted like R160's then again, the R160 interior model is based off the R42 -_-

no from what I heard it's 16 extra trips... 16 extra trains would over crowd the L

Im going by what the (MTA) has said and the (MTA) said they will be adding an addtional 16 trains to the (L) eventhough I find that hard to understand because thats alot of trains thats the point of adding service More TRAINS.

so an additional 16? thats like an (L) train every 2 minutes, so I guess every 4 mins isnt enough...smh the (L) isnt that bad, ppl need to stop holding the doors, being sick on the train, or fighting on the train to avoid over crowding due to Delays as stated previously, but since hipsters like to exaggerate the (J) gotta get more old crap on the line -_-

16 trainsets? What are you talking about? If you hear 16 trains are being added to a line, be careful. It means 16 TRIPS, one train makes multiple trips. For example, there has been a report of more trains on the L weekends starting in the spring. All it means is 2 or 3 additional trainsets making multiple trips during the day.

According to the Latest Car Service Notice I have, the maximum number of L trains in the rush is 22, 18 max on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. There is no way they can add 16 more trains, they don't exist. The line would be tied up in knots all the time, look at the present headways! But they can add a few more trainsets weeknds, adding up to 16 additional trips.

16 trainsets? What are you talking about? If you hear 16 trains are being added to a line, be careful. It means 16 TRIPS, one train makes multiple trips. For example, there has been a report of more trains on the L weekends starting in the spring. All it means is 2 or 3 additional trainsets making multiple trips during the day.

According to the Latest Car Service Notice I have, the maximum number of L trains in the rush is 22, 18 max on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. There is no way they can add 16 more trains, they don't exist. The line would be tied up in knots all the time, look at the present headways! But they can add a few more trainsets weeknds, adding up to 16 additional trips.

Yeah maybe the MTA made a mistake but hey im just gonna see what happens

Yeah maybe the MTA made a mistake but hey im just gonna see what happens

yeah I don't think they said 16 trains that would mean extra crews which would rape the MTA's pockets, I could see them adding 3 maybe 4 extra trains but have them running more trips instead of pulling into the yard early. I have to agree with Bill.