Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Could very well b e true for that one pair, but its still not status as Retired.

Probably too much trouble or too expense to fix.

Sounds like March 2018 last in service?

3476/77 sat parted out in ENY yard for less than a year then they fixed it up and threw it back in service in the summer of last year. so anything is possible.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:07 PM, m2fwannabe said:

OK we have some news here!  These 24 MK R-42s have been RETIRED as of today (December 21):

4792/3, 4800-3, 4808/9, 4812-5, 4820-3, 4826-9, 4836-9 (***All laid up at Pitkin indefinitely***).

One 8-car train 4824/25-4831/30-4816/17-4799/98 was the only train in passenger service on Friday AM (December 20).  No trains ran on Friday PM.  (That's 32).

One more 8-car consist is still available (not in order 4796/7, 4804-7, 4832/3), plus six more for revenue spares.   (That's 46).

4 were held for repair on December 20,  (That's 50).

There may be R-42 trains again this coming week but maybe not.  Lets see.  This could be IT!!

Like I said last week, "Sing for Alud Lang Syne."

I don't mean to discredit this, but I don't know if that necessarily means those R42 sets are absolutely and permanently out of passenger service. They were laid up at Pitkin Yard earlier this year for one reason or another.

8 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I don't mean to discredit this, but I don't know if that necessarily means those R42 sets are absolutely and permanently out of passenger service. They were laid up at Pitkin Yard earlier this year for one reason or another.

Is it because of lack of room in ENY?

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Now there is NO DOUBT.  The status for those 24 MK R-42s and maybe more are R-E-T-I-R-E-D...as in Forever!!  How more clearer can there be?

Do they plan to start to finish off some R32s as well? Could we see this R32s move elsewhere or will they stay at 207th until 2021?

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Why would those 42s be moved to Pitkin for scrapping when they can easily just done that at ENY...either way, kinda sucked that they’re gone. Looks like I’ve waited all too late to get an RFW on the (J)(Z) going back to Manhattan from Jamaica.

ENY is jacked and has been overbought for several times.  They can't wait to move the R-42s elsewhere to a larger storage facility if no longer needed in revenue service.

18 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Do they plan to start to finish off some R32s as well? Could we see this R32s move elsewhere or will they stay at 207th until 2021?

Would love to but can't afford to retire the fleet partway and there would be a shortage resulting before they can be replaced by R-211s ASAP.

The spare factor for the R-32s are incredibly be high, much higher than any others, but their low reliability with dozens OOS each day.  If the fleet is cut to normal sized spare factor their use would likely nose dive and that could result in an overall shortage on the C especially.

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

ENY is jacked and has been overbought for several times.  They can't wait to move the R-42s elsewhere to a larger storage facility if no longer needed in revenue service.

Okay. I’m going to wake up extra early tomorrow, get myself together, get on the (A)(C) to Bway Jct for the (J) to Jamaica Ctr in time for the skip-stop service.

30 minutes ago, Train92 said:

There's a 42 on the (Z) rn. Should be at Marcy heading to Broad rn

I just saw it at Canal. Was tempted to get on, thinking it might be my last chance for a regular service R42, but I really needed to get to the (N)(Q) platform to try to get to 34th St to make the 5:23 QM20. But I just missed a (Q) at 5:10, so I’m probably not going to make that bus anyway. 

23 hours ago, RR503 said:

Sad to see the 42s go. The railfan in me always preferred them to the 32s -- much better looking cars than their older brethren.

To me the 42s are more pleasant to ride than the 32s, smoother stops, less jerky, etc. I'm just glad some 42s stayed an extra decade or so after their planned retirement... Same goes for the 32s. 

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Guys, the R42’s aren’t going anywhere. Now unless you work in transit at the car equipment division then I’ll retract my statement. But until then, don’t buy these rumors. 

Well, you are correct that the R-42s aren't being "scrapped" per se, but as far as any future for passenger service, there is none.

The active R-42 fleet is down to one 8-car consist plus one pair (10 total) at the end of the PM as of December 23.

Let's see what happens tomorrow (Christmas Eve).

22 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well, you are correct that the R-42s aren't being "scrapped" per se, but as far as any future for passenger service, there is none.

The active R-42 fleet is down to one 8-car consist plus one pair (10 total) at the end of the PM as of December 23.

Chillie. You ode be jinxing it. I’m not even gonna front lmao jk. But real shit, though, I need my RFW going back from Jamaica to Manhattan.

Edited by Jemorie

10 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Why would those 42s be moved to Pitkin for scrapping when they can easily just done that at ENY...either way, kinda sucked that they’re gone. Looks like I’ve waited all too late to get an RFW on the (J)(Z) going back to Manhattan from Jamaica.

Pitkin isn't generally for scrapping; it's often used for long term storage (like 110A's were there for a long time).

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Do you know what numbers the remaining cars happen to be?