Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I wouldn't bother with the RFW, now that is well known that the 42s are on borrowed time there's always gonna be railfans waiting at the front at Broad for that window. A railfanner I follow on YT called another fanner a "disturbed individual" cause he refused to share the railfan window. I would just ride in one any other car but the first car to avoid that nonsense. 

Besides that view is well documented on Youtube... I would just enjoy the experience of those cars. Riding an late 60s/early 70s train in 2019. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wouldn't bother with the RFW, now that is well known that the 42s are on borrowed time there's always gonna be railfans waiting at the front at Broad for that window. A railfanner I follow on YT called another fanner a "disturbed individual" cause he refused to share the railfan window. I would just ride in one any other car but the first car to avoid that nonsense.

Besides that view is well documented on Youtube... I would just enjoy the experience of those cars. Riding an late 60s/early 70s train in 2019. 

I heard about that too. Smh railfanners these days...one of the reasons why I personally wish they would have kept all 50 R42s in ENY till the R211s.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

According to MTA rules,  "Courtesy counts and it begins with you." 

2 hours ago, Train92 said:

2471-2475, 2466-2470 Westchester (6) -> 240th (1)

Well  there's a stunner!!  Thank You.

8 hours ago, Shore El Express said:

According to the NYCT Subway Twitter, the R42s are not retired yet, and one mighttttt be running in service today (some random guy asked the question). When the train is running out of broad st is unspecified

The inside source says that those last 10 MK R-42s have not been officially retired, yet no one seems to know yet whether "it" will actually be used again.

As far as the trip last Friday afternoon I was apprised of many of the attendees (more like party-goers) were told in stripes that was going to be the "Final" trip:  5:15 (Z) from Broad Street to Jamaica Center then layup to ENY.

Even the operating crew was serious assuming that was the last revenue trip.

It could be the train did get a reprieve for some reason, if only temporarily.

(I am only the messenger.  "We" try the arrow setting straight).

Now as to the R-32s as well, there are other at least two "quite credible" sources who now are claiming that fleet-based part retirement of the Phase I R-32s is also belayed, with just the known four cars permanently retired but maybe no others, for another temporary period.

Too many conflicting is making your guess at this point as well as I.

Best thing is just to keep a collective eye as time proceeds.

And (as always) time will tell!

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well  there's a stunner!!  Thank You.

The inside source says that those last 10 MK R-42s have not been officially retired, yet no one seems to know yet whether "it" will actually be used again.

As far as the trip last Friday afternoon I was apprised of many of the attendees (more like party-goers) were told in stripes that was going to be the "Final" trip:  5:15 (Z) from Broad Street to Jamaica Center then layup to ENY.

Even the operating crew was serious assuming that was the last revenue trip.

It could be the train did get a reprieve for some reason, if only temporarily.

(I am only the messenger.  "We" try the arrow setting straight).

Now as to the R-32s as well, there are other at least two "quite credible" sources who now are claiming that fleet-based part retirement of the Phase I R-32s is also belayed, with just the known four cars permanently retired but maybe no others, for another temporary period.

Too many conflicting is making your guess at this point as well as I.

Best thing is just to keep a collective eye as time proceeds.

And (as always) time will tell!

Yea a reliable source told me the same with the R32's. They can't afford to loose more cars

I’m gonna get it tomorrow in the AM leaving Jamaica Center. I hope it departs from one of the thirteen total skip-stop intervals (7:15-8:18) and also hope there are no other rail buffs early in the morning either, all I need is to record the front window from Jamaica to Broad and I’m finally set. I’m not doing today because of the shitty rainy weather.

8 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I’m gonna get it tomorrow in the AM leaving Jamaica Center. I hope it departs from one of the thirteen total skip-stop intervals (7:15-8:18) and also hope there are no other rail buffs early in the morning either, all I need is to record the front window from Jamaica to Broad and I’m finally set. I’m not doing today because of the shitty rainy weather.

LOL I recorded the whole RFW from Jam to Broad today. Not a single buff so ur prob good. Just some crazy homeless guy around Bowery yelling about Jesus.