Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

One post in the FB group and everybody's off to the races. For the record, I find the (B) a very plausible option. Part-time service would suit the R32s, which will certainly have the lowest MDBF in the fleet with the R42s gone, and it's unclear to me why they would go back to the BMT East after the entire effort to go NTT on those lines. The biggest surprise to me is still the R46 prohibition the (C), which is a solvable problem imo and would make everything a little easier.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

One post in the FB group and everybody's off to the races. For the record, I find the (B) a very plausible option. Part-time service would suit the R32s, which will certainly have the lowest MDBF in the fleet with the R42s gone, and it's unclear to me why they would go back to the BMT East after the entire effort to go NTT on those lines. The biggest surprise to me is still the R46 prohibition the (C), which is a solvable problem imo and would make everything a little easier.

This is the MTA we're talking about. When do they ever have reasoning behind anything? They've ignored putting 10 car sets on the (C) for a long time, knowing that it's a high ridership line, but refuse to do it. The R46's made an appearance for what, a year? Then a bulletin went out and said R46's were banned from (C) service.

it's like the MTA hates the (C) for some reason.

31 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

One post in the FB group and everybody's off to the races.

Count me out lol. I'm just saying that the R32s were better off on the (A) imo. But overall yeah, these people deadass be doing too much with all these "rumors". It's why I honestly just said "yeah okay", shake my head, and shrug it all off lol.

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

This is the MTA we're talking about. When do they ever have reasoning behind anything? They've ignored putting 10 car sets on the (C) for a long time, knowing that it's a high ridership line, but refuse to do it. The R46's made an appearance for what, a year? Then a bulletin went out and said R46's were banned from (C) service.

it's like the MTA hates the (C) for some reason.

It's costly that's the problem, if it were R32's are full length R179's and R160's then it'll be easier. 

Y'all gotta understand that the R32's on the (C) are f**king terrible. Hot cars were rampant this summer. Now that they don't want R46's on the (C) , the only choice is to put the R32's back on the (J) and make the (C) 100% R179's. 

As for the (A) loosing it's R32's I hope it's just a rumor. As much as the (B) is a part time line, there's too many flaws that will come with it. They're better off keeping the R32's on the (A). They're doing fine on it. 

Just because I shared the info, doesn't mean I agree with it.

The only thing I agree with is the (J) getting the R32's back since it's 90% outdoors and they were maintained better.

I been on 32 (A) trains with broken A/C this past summer, also been on two 32 (A) that had to be taken OOS due to door problems. If they are having trouble on the  (C)  I doubt they would be doing any better on the (A) , they are maintained by the same yard! 

I hope they aren't transferred back to ENY, the only yard the 32s should be transferred to is the scrap yard. I'm glad they stayed an extra 10 years and the stint on the (J) was a nice bonus but all good things must come to an end. I follow transit just like everyone on here but did I miss some kind of major service increase the MTA is planning to justify keeping the R32s around until the 211s come...? I mean the original plan of the (L) shutdown got cancelled..

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I been on 32 (A) trains with broken A/C this past summer, also been on two 32 (A) that had to be taken OOS due to door problems. If they are having trouble on the  (C)  I doubt they would be doing any better on the (A) , they are maintained by the same yard! 

I hope they aren't transferred back to ENY, the only yard the 32s should be transferred to is the scrap yard. I'm glad they stayed an extra 10 years and the stint on the (J) was a nice bonus but all good things must come to an end. I follow transit just like everyone on here but did I miss some kind of major service increase the MTA is planning to justify keeping the R32s around until the 211s come...? I mean the original plan of the (L) shutdown got cancelled..

Real question: Aren’t we still short on subway cars?

Just now, trainfan22 said:

What you mean. They're 55 year old cars. It has hardly anything to do with 207th Street Yard. Plus, they constantly run them on the entirely underground (C) line and the Lefferts Blvd (A). All 18 (C) trains are in service all day and evening compared to every other line in the system whose trainsets vary across the day due to relatively higher scheduled frequency than the (C). Meanwhile, the Lefferts Blvd (A) is outside for at most a half-hour or so (including dwells at the Lefferts Blvd terminal), compared to the Rockaway (A), where they're outside for an hour or so (including dwells at either Rockaway terminal). The running time for Lefferts Blvd trains between Grant and Lefferts is approximately 9 minutes anyway (plus the extra minutes dwelling at Lefferts Blvd and then heading back up to Grant).

Just now, AJ of JGD said:

Real question: Aren’t we still short on subway cars?

There was never a shortage. I don’t Know where anyone got that idea. It’s ridiculous. The only time transit Fell short of cars is when 80% of R32’s HVAC’s forced them OOS on the (E) back in 2007-2008. A spare shortage fell when the R44’s got retired. When them Measly 50 R42 cars got taken OOS no yard felt an effect. We got All 318 R179’s on property with a SURPLUS of 8 car units. 

Just now, Jemorie said:

What you mean. They're 55 year old cars. It has hardly anything to do with 207th Street Yard. Plus, they constantly run them on the entirely underground (C) line and the Lefferts Blvd (A). All 18 (C) trains are in service all day and evening compared to every other line in the system whose trainsets vary across the day due to relatively higher scheduled frequency than the (C). Meanwhile, the Lefferts Blvd (A) is outside for at most a half-hour or so (including dwells at the Lefferts Blvd terminal), compared to the Rockaway (A), where they're outside for an hour or so (including dwells at either Rockaway terminal). The running time for Lefferts Blvd trains between Grant and Lefferts is approximately 9 minutes anyway (plus the extra minutes dwelling at Lefferts Blvd and then heading back up to Grant).

That means nothing, outdoor runs don’t trump that the cars (as you said 55 years old) Those cars ran on the (E) for damn near 14 years maintained by the ever so negligent yard aka JAMAICA Yard. 207 Street is actually inspecting the R32’s more than their R46. All 200 R32’s can run on the (A) nothing is preventing that. The rotation in service inspections are low because most of them are sitting idle at 207/Pitkin or laid up from (C) service. 

16 minutes ago, VIP said:

There was never a shortage. I don’t Know where anyone got that idea. It’s ridiculous. The only time transit Fell short of cars is when 80% of R32’s HVAC’s forced them OOS on the (E) back in 2007-2008. A spare shortage fell when the R44’s got retired. When them Measly 50 R42 cars got taken OOS no yard felt an effect. We got All 318 R179’s on property with a SURPLUS of 8 car units. 

There was a shortage 

There's a reason why the (M) and (V) were merged and the (W) was cut.

The R44 retirement left a large void, once the (V) was cut a good chunk of R46's left Jamaica that same day to go to the (A). That alone killed off the majority of the R44 fleet.

Why in the do you think they had to take cars from concourse and Jamaica to make up for service for the (Q) and the (W) return.

Why do you see an R68 on the (A) that comes from the (B)

Those are signs of a car shortage.

Now you're just talking out of your ass

Now not as much, but they still need half the R32 fleet.

R42's they don't need, the R179 issues prolonged their retirement til 2 days ago.

They can retire half of the R32 fleet if they want to

Edited by R32 3838

12 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

There was a shortage 

There's a reason why the (M) and (V) were merged and the (W) was cut.

The R44 retirement left a large void, once the (V) was cut a good chunk of R46's left Jamaica that same day to go to the (A). That alone killed off the majority of the R44 fleet.

Why in the do you think they had to take cars from concourse and Jamaica to make up for service for the (Q) and the (W) return.

Why do you see an R68 on the (A) that comes from the (B)

Those are signs of a car shortage.

Now you're just talking out of your ass

Now not as much, but they still need half the R32 fleet.

R42's they don't need, the R179 issues prolonged their retirement til 2 days ago.

They can retire half of the R32 fleet if they want to

Last time I checked, you Do NOT work for MTA. Everything from school car til now, I know what’s going down before some of my train buff big mouths go running telling you guys information. The cuts were solely BUDGET cuts NOT car shortage. That unicorn R68/A that you see on the (A) is to buy inspection time. It’s a put-in, not an assignment. 

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's costly that's the problem, if it were R32's are full length R179's and R160's then it'll be easier. 

Y'all gotta understand that the R32's on the (C) are f**king terrible. Hot cars were rampant this summer. Now that they don't want R46's on the (C) , the only choice is to put the R32's back on the (J) and make the (C) 100% R179's. 

As for the (A) loosing it's R32's I hope it's just a rumor. As much as the (B) is a part time line, there's too many flaws that will come with it. They're better off keeping the R32's on the (A). They're doing fine on it. 

Just because I shared the info, doesn't mean I agree with it.

The only thing I agree with is the (J) getting the R32's back since it's 90% outdoors and they were maintained better.

are R179s replacing all R32s? because I Want all R32s Scrapped as well.

Edited by subwayfan1998

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Last time I checked, you Do NOT work for MTA. Everything from school car til now, I know what’s going down before some of my train buff big mouths go running telling you guys information. The cuts were solely BUDGET cuts NOT car shortage. That unicorn R68/A that you see on the (A) is to buy inspection time. It’s a put-in, not an assignment. 

There's plenty of MTA workers that I have as friends all told me as well that there was a car shortage until the R179's started trucking in.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

They over scrapped the 60 foot smees then was forced to get rid of the R44's.

That alone caused a car shortage. Them merging the M/V allowed them to send more R46's to pitkin to kill off the remaining R44's. 

Why the hell do you think they had to do budget cuts.

If they didn't do budget cuts, they would have been f**ked, hence why the M/V was merged in the first place. 

The MTA didn't expect the R44's to retire, that alone played a key role in the budget cuts. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

There's plenty of MTA workers that I have as friends all told me as well that there was a car shortage until the R179's started trucking in.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

They over scrapped the 60 foot smees then was forced to get rid of the R44's.

That alone caused a car shortage. Them merging the M/V allowed them to send more R46's to pitkin to kill off the remaining R44's. 

Why the hell do you think they had to do budget cuts.

If they didn't do budget cuts, they would have been f**ked, hence why the M/V was merged in the first place. 

The MTA didn't expect the R44's to retire, that alone played a key role in the budget cuts. 

First of all, the (V) was useless and so was the (W) However, the (Q) running to Ditmars was the best thing to happen to the (Q) before 96 St-2Av opened up. Yes I agree they got scrap happy when the R160’s started rolling into Jamaica Yard. I digress, yet Many others and I personally think ALL the R40M’s should have been spared along with the best performing R42’s... If that ever happened, the (C) would have been full length today the R32’s would have went with the R38’s and that R179 order would’ve never been botched and been a 10-car train order. 

Edited by VIP

4 hours ago, VIP said:

First of all, the (V) was useless and so was the (W) However, the (Q) running to Ditmars was the best thing to happen to the (Q) before 96 St-2Av opened up. Yes I agree they got scrap happy when the R160’s started rolling into Jamaica Yard. I digress, yet Many others and I personally think ALL the R40M’s should have been spared along with the best performing R42’s... If that ever happened, the (C) would have been full length today the R32’s would have went with the R38’s and that R179 order would’ve never been botched and been a 10-car train order. 

We all knew that the 38s needed to go, but what about the Slants? They seemed like they weren't even falling apart. 

4 minutes ago, NBTA said:

We all knew that the 38s needed to go, but what about the Slants? They seemed like they weren't even falling apart. 

Weren’t the slants kinda dangerous? The gaps between cars while crossing between them were pretty wide. But yea there was a way smaller fleet of 38’s. There wasn’t any problem with the 38’s as far as I remember, probably would’ve fared better than the 42’s. 

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Weren’t the slants kinda dangerous? The gaps between cars while crossing between them were pretty wide. But yea there was a way smaller fleet of 38’s. There wasn’t any problem with the 38’s as far as I remember, probably would’ve fared better than the 42’s. 

No. The huge array of pantograph gates that were installed in the 70s fixed that problem. The R38 through R44 had carbon steel frames and roofs and were really falling apart towards the end. I remember seeing many cars with huge lengths of duct tape down the whole side of the roof. The R32s survived because they are entirely Budd shot-welded stainless steel, and the MK R42s because they were the least awful hybrid steel cars structurally and mechanically.

6 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The R38s’ roofs were made of carbon steel, which resulted in it rusting a lot. Now, the R32s’ roofs have been rusting a lot lately. Not surprised.

They're not rusting, they're stained up due to that sealant paint collecting all that steel dust and dirt. Their roofs are stainless steel. 

14 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

I Can't Wait for them and R46s to be Retired, I Love the R211s

How can you love a train you have yet to ride lol

The 211s will have wider doors than the current B div NTT and thus less seating space and less of a chance of getting a seat. I wish they would have kept the doors the same size as the 143/160/179, hopefully the regular 211 sets have those corner seats near the ends of the cars as well. Was never a fan of them being removed on the Cuomo 160s.