Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

6 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Do the R-32’s still run on the (A) line? TTMG roster shows all active cars assigned to the (C) line (but you know TTMG often doesn’t update).

Yes they do. However, they rotate at least 40-50 cars in passenger service in 10 car trains. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a strange thought: What if 1/2 the siemens 160s were on the  in exchange of the R179s they have? (It'll be entirely Alstom 160s with 130 R179 subway cars to have CBTC). It's like the  train that's mostly R143s but there are a few 160s on that line with the orange bar. 

*Siemens 160s on the A is to avoid confusion with the Alstom 160s that are on Queens Blvd line 

Edited by Calvin

35 minutes ago, Calvin said:

This is a strange thought: What if 1/2 the siemens 160s were on the  in exchange of the R179s they have? (It'll be entirely Alstom 160s with 130 R179 subway cars to have CBTC). It's like the  train that's mostly R143s but there are a few 160s on that line with the orange bar. 

*Siemens 160s on the A is to avoid confusion with the Alstom 160s that are on Queens Blvd line 

Hmmm... how do you know of such lol. I will not say a word. 😉

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Broadway Service is going to go down the drain with these R46's with their ridiculously long dwell times...

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Hopefully they continue to complain until they do something. R46's on Broadway. Are. Not. A. Good. Idea.

Considering I moved from the (R) served part of astoria to the (N) served part - and was fairly jazzed about moving-on-up from the R46 - I am not to keen on this swap. 

But - in fairness - weren't the vast majority of these R46's already on broadway?  There were like what, 6 trains on the F? 

Sure, now you're pokeying up both the express and the local tracks with them - but I don't know that the overall effect to broadway service will be catastrophic. 

Annoying - assuredly yes. 

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Do the R-32’s still run on the (A) line? TTMG roster shows all active cars assigned to the (C) line (but you know TTMG often doesn’t update).

Yes, in fact I rode one today. The confusion re the TTMG roster is that all R32s are assigned to 207th and all R179s are assigned to Pitkin even though nominally the (C) is out of 207 and the (A) out of Pitkin but obviously they're both a mix.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I'm one step ahead of you there lol. Already thought about it but the numbers don't quite add up and most Siemens already are CBTC equipped so the point is moot HOWEVER when you throw the R211 base order in the mix there is a potential scenario in the future where the Siemens end up at Pitkin (pure speculation on my part)

The R-32 fleet is today shown as 202 cars (no longer 222), as previously prognosticated.

How much lower we'll see in time.

And to pile on yes there were at least three R-32 (A) trains over the weekend.  I presumably only to Lefferts as those long rides to Far Rock can be a bear for both your a** and your C/R.

:huh:

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

And to pile on yes there were at least three R-32 (A) trains over the weekend.  I presumably only to Lefferts as those long rides to Far Rock can be a bear for both your a** and your C/R.

Bleh...

Do C/Rs even sit in their cabs between stations anyway? Especially on all local routes like the (1)(6)(7)(C)(J)(M)(R)(W)?

4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

The R-32 fleet is today shown as 202 cars (no longer 222), as previously prognosticated.

How much lower we'll see in time.

From what I noticed, sometimes the same 32 set on the (A) would run on both the Lefferts and Far Rock branch on the same day. They'd have a MTA employee walk though the train to change the rollsigns.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

From what I noticed, sometimes the same 32 set on the (A) would run on both the Lefferts and Far Rock branch on the same day. They'd have a MTA employee walk though the train to change the rollsigns.

Yeah. It’s quicker than you would think. There’s usually 2 crew members with a power drill changing the signs. 

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Sooo...... according to a post in a FB group, the entire R179 fleet has been grounded because of a door opening enroute...

just played catch-up since i havent posted in like forever:

but damn, this is definitely a major blow to MTA. it proves that bombardier simply cant be trusted anymore with their contracts. i can see 42s MAYBE running on the (A) unless they want them all on the (J)(Z) and also they could send the 32s to ENY for the (J)(Z) as well. 

38 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

3 R160A-1's ENY to 207th, 8648 being one of them.  Credit to fan railer 

Looks like R160's going back to the (C) with the R32's going back to the (J) .

The R42’s at 207/Pitkin may just enter service on the (A) to save some late clears. 

10 minutes ago, VIP said:

The R42’s at 207/Pitkin may just enter service on the (A) to save some late clears. 

I wouldn't be surprised, but pitkin only has a pair and 207th only has 6 cars unless they got more cars. i know ENY has about 16 cars that never left ENY.