Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I'm hearing 4 R42's are in (J) service. 2 are running on the (J) right now.

So far no R32's were transferred to ENY as most of them are on the (A) and (C) with the (C) having those 3 R160's from ENY

Wow...The Quickest Retired  back in service ive seen since the R16's.....Is it all the R179's or the one's on the (A)(C).....

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I'm hearing 4 R42's are in (J) service. 2 are running on the (J) right now.

So far no R32's were transferred to ENY as most of them are on the (A) and (C) with the (C) having those 3 R160's from ENY

Can confirm, I am currently on 4826 on the (J)

there was also a service alert sent this morning, despite the (Z) appearing to run

There is reduced J train service during the morning rush while we evaluate a mechanical issue that may affect J and Z trains. J trains will make all local stops and run approximately every 7 minutes, compared to every 5 minutes in the standard schedule.

Z trains are not running.

Expect longer wait times and crowding.

1 minute ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Can confirm, I am currently on 4826 on the (J)

there was also a service alert sent this morning, despite the (Z) appearing to run

There is reduced J train service during the morning rush while we evaluate a mechanical issue that may affect J and Z trains. J trains will make all local stops and run approximately every 7 minutes, compared to every 5 minutes in the standard schedule.

Please take pictures and share them!

4 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Can confirm, I am currently on 4826 on the (J).

There was also a service alert sent this morning, despite the (Z) appearing to run.

I thought the R42s were officially retired on 12/30/19?! Those trains either have a habit of surviving, or I believe people more easily than I thought. Either way, I'm happy that they got a chance to shine in the sun again.

5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Well, they took the wrong freaking fleet out of service.

It was an R32 that had its door open while in passenger service, and there's quite a few tweets from passengers backing it up.

If that is the case, this is an epic fail.

The R32 incident is different, she was leaning on the door or the c/r opened the door too fast.

Her tweet just happened to show up at the same time as ta decided to take the whole R179 fleet oos.

Here's a quote from Greg mocker 

It’s the latest and biggest problem for the newest subway cars. 

NYC Transit has removed the R179 cars from service.

In separate statements, both the MTA and Bombardier said 2 doors on cars in the R179 fleet recently failed to function as intended. 

NYCT Transit President Andy Byford says the manufacturer, Bombardier Transportation, notified the agency Tuesday night about its analysis of a recent issue 

Transit says all passengers were safe but the incident raises questions about the reliability of a door mechanism. 

“Out of an abundance of caution, NYCT removed all R179 train cars from service overnight for thorough inspection and re-deployed other spare cars to continue service for this morning’s rush and ensure minimal impacts to customers. I commend the hardworking men and women of New York City Transit for their efforts last evening,” Byford said. 

All lines were to be operating at normal service levels with the exception of the J/Z line, where headways have been increased by two minutes in between trains for the AM peak period, and skip-stop service suspended.

NYCT has brought on LTK Engineering Services for an independent third-party review of inspections of the cars.

“As documented, the MTA has identified repeated issues with Bombardier’s performance and finds this latest development unacceptable. We intend to hold the company fully accountable,” Byford added. 

A spokesperson for Bombardier says the investigation shows that the doors were not properly calibrated by Kangni, the door operator supplier.

“We are now inspecting all of the R179 cars and, where necessary, making adjustments to ensure the safe and reliable performance of the doors for the entire fleet,” said Bombardier spokesperson Maryanne Roberts. 

The company says it has brought in additional technicians who are working around the clock to inspect, calibrate and test the door systems.

“We value our partnership with New York City Transit and are fully committed to providing high quality, reliable, safe rail cars for the millions of people who ride New York’s subway system every day. We will continue to work closely with our customer to make sure that the R179 cars are the best performing cars in New York’s fleet,” Roberts said.

The delivery and roll out of the cars has faced problems and delays. 

“Bombardier sold us lemons. Straphangers need the MTA to manage these contracts from the beginning — before the trains go off the rails,” said NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer. 

The comptroller issued an audit of the $600-million contract last month criticizing the production and project management.  

The MTA has worked to monitor the contract and hold Bombardier accountable. 

The agency and company are still determining the timeline for complete repairs.

Again 2 separate incidents, the woman's tweet wasn't a hoax.

Bombardier contacted MTA about the issue, and MTA took the whole fleet oos. And various sources will back this up.