Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

What funny is despite the fact that the Phase two R32s were the crappier of the two mechanically, both pairs in the TM fleet are Phase 2. When the rest of the 32s are finally retired, they should save an phase 1 pair as well.  

I wish I knew of the GE 32s existence when they was still an active fleet, especially now hearing that they kept some of their original components from pre GOH.  Not sure about the IRT redbirds but from my understanding, most of the R32 - R42 fleets were completely gutted mechanically during GOH. From old timers I read that the cars sounded different pre GOH, described as having "darth vader brakes" and cool sounding compressors like in the video below...

Only thing 50+ years old in the 32s and 42s are their bodies and maybe the trucks, mechanically they are about the same age as the R62/A and R68/A more or less.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

What funny is despite the fact that the Phase two R32s were the crappier of the two mechanically, both pairs in the TM fleet are Phase 2. When the rest of the 32s are finally retired, they should save an phase 1 pair as well.

Absolutely. Once retired they will be among the longest serving cars of all time, and that’s definitely worth preservation. I would even go as far as saying it would be worth having a whole 8-car train of them - there is already a TOMC and TOMM. If two Phase I pairs are saved, this could be done

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I wish I knew of the GE 32s existence when they was still an active fleet, especially now hearing that they kept some of their original components from pre GOH.  Not sure about the IRT redbirds but from my understanding, most of the R32 - R42 fleets were completely gutted mechanically during GOH. From old timers I read that the cars sounded different pre GOH, described as having "darth vader brakes" and cool sounding compressors like in the video below...

I don’t remember exactly which components were original, but I do remember that they sounded like GOH R38s.

48 minutes ago, Amtrak706 said:

Absolutely. Once retired they will be among the longest serving cars of all time, and that’s definitely worth preservation. I would even go as far as saying it would be worth having a whole 8-car train of them - there is already a TOMC and TOMM. If two Phase I pairs are saved, this could be done

I don’t remember exactly which components were original, but I do remember that they sounded like GOH R38s.

I consider the 32s part of the TOMM, they probably don't use the two TM pairs on TOMM trips because the 32s still have a major presence in the system. I would imagine once the 32s are retired then the museum pairs will be added to the TOMM consist.

Post GOH 32s are too bland to have an entire 8 car train worth of them IMO, especially considering you can't restore them to their pre GOH look. At least with the museum R33ML you can repaint the outside of the cars to different paint schemes. 

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Just jogged my memory of those things; yeah, they were definitely "non-standard".  One of three fleets that the agency was desperate to get rid of first.  The other two being CI-rebuild R42s (structural rot) and Phase II R32s (mechanical shitshows).

Did the GE R32s operate as one full train or were they just random pairs?

Also, what made the MK R42s be kept when they were just as bad as the rest of the outgoing fleet in 2007-2009?

47 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I consider the 32s part of the TOMM, they probably don't use the two TM pairs on TOMM trips because the 32s still have a major presence in the system. I would imagine once the 32s are retired then the museum pairs will be added to the TOMM consist.

Post GOH 32s are too bland to have an entire 8 car train worth of them IMO, especially considering you can't restore them to their pre GOH look. At least with the museum R33ML you can repaint the outside of the cars to different paint schemes. 

Well considering they do use the R42s on the TOMM, I don’t think it’s because the type is still in service. The Phase II R32s were not well-running cars, especially with their NYAB brake system.

And keep in mind the actual point of preservation: what is around today and what may seem “bland” now certainly won’t down the road. All the car types currently in the museum were once plentiful in regular service and otherwise unremarkable. I’m glad not everyone has the mindset you do, otherwise nothing would have been saved and there would be no museum fleet.

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Forgive me if I missed this, but have the R46s transferred from Jamaica (or CI) to Pitkin for (A) service been noted yet? Interesting seeing those sets running on the (A), interior rehab and all.

I don't think it's been noted in this thread. I saw one of the sets about an hour ago at Penn Station....I was looking at it like "wait, that looks way too clean.....".

yesterday I was out on the (J) and counted about four sets total in service. 

one set is in ENY sitting OOS because some foamers stole the rollsigns from some of the cars. also, the back car of the consist is tagged with graffiti. 

there's somewhat of a chance that the R42s can come out this weekend due to the lack of R179s...

also, are there any refuse R32s operating in (C) service? 

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I don't think it's been noted in this thread. I saw one of the sets about an hour ago at Penn Station....I was looking at it like "wait, that looks way too clean.....".

A bunch of the A's R46 have gone thru SMS recently with a repainted bonnet. I've been noticing the SMS'ed cars since a few weeks before all of the R179s were pulled. Even caught a set passing Smith-9 on the express just fresh out of SMS from CI a few weeks ago.

Seems they coincidentally chose the right time to do this. 

11 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Yeah, I was staring at the number boards thinking 'wait...' 

For me it was that 5602-5605 set on the A yesterday.  

14 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Did the GE R32s operate as one full train or were they just random pairs?

Also, what made the MK R42s be kept when they were just as bad as the rest of the outgoing fleet in 2007-2009?

Never saw all 10 GE cars operate as one consist; I get the impression that was intentional.

In the mid-to-late 2000s, most MK R42s were better than the CI R42s.  The CI R42s were terrible; I rode them, I know people who operated those cars- crews hated them. Coney Island cheaped out on the overhaul and those cars did not age well.

Word through the grapevine back then was that next to Phase I R32s, MK R42s were the least bad of a bunch of worn-out car classes.  It makes sense, considering that in 2008 MK R42s were sent from East New York to Jamaica Yard to bump the Phase II R32s off of Queens Blvd.

Edited by R10 2952
grammar

2 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

A bunch of the A's R46 have gone thru SMS recently with a repainted bonnet. I've been noticing the SMS'ed cars since a few weeks before all of the R179s were pulled. Even caught a set passing Smith-9 on the express just fresh out of SMS from CI a few weeks ago.

Seems they coincidentally chose the right time to do this. 

That I know, I was just saying that the train looked way too clean to be an (A) train🤣.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, I was staring at the number boards thinking 'wait...' 

For me it was that 5602-5605 set on the A yesterday.  

That was the set I saw going Northbound at 34th,

On 1/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, Amtrak706 said:

Well considering they do use the R42s on the TOMM, I don’t think it’s because the type is still in service. The Phase II R32s were not well-running cars, especially with their NYAB brake system.

And keep in mind the actual point of preservation: what is around today and what may seem “bland” now certainly won’t down the road. All the car types currently in the museum were once plentiful in regular service and otherwise unremarkable. I’m glad not everyone has the mindset you do, otherwise nothing would have been saved and there would be no museum fleet.

The R16 weren't well running cars and yet the lone running car is still used on museum trips.. The arines ran like crap towards the end of their service life but the museum arines run great on museum trips today. I think the TM can make the Phase II cars run great and work well with the other museum SMEE's.

If there was an NYCTF in the 70s I would certainly be pro saving 10+ cars of R1-9s (which was done) those prewar cars have a certain charm to them that newer trains lack IMO. 32s aren't interesting enough to have an entire train worth of them being saved. I think three 32 pairs would suffice. If one want to give an 32 pair to those Trolley museums I would be OK with that (if their interested).

32s lost their color during GOH, lost their front rollsigns, lost their ceiling fans, etc.. an entire museum train of an stale grey train? Meh 32s in the TOMM consist, dope, 32s on their own? meh.

Not have my mindset? You act like I said NONE of the 32s should be saved lol. I'm very pro saving Transit vehicles for museum fleets.