Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I haven't seen an R32 (A) train since the 179s were pulled from service. When the 179s were active, 32 (A) trains were a lot more common. 

I saw one on Wednesday actually. I think they just reduced them down to 1-2 sets now.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

To add on, as of tonight (January 15), according to forum posters on here:

10 trains of R160s have been transferred to Jamaica, and 10 trains of R46s were transferred to Coney Island.

Also rode on an R46 (N) train yesterday for the first time.

***DELETED***

Edited by The TransitMan
My mistake...please remove mods

On 1/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, m2fwannabe said:

The R-32 fleet is today shown as 202 cars (no longer 222), as previously prognosticated.

How much lower we'll see in time.

And to pile on yes there were at least three R-32 (A) trains over the weekend.  I presumably only to Lefferts as those long rides to Far Rock can be a bear for both your a** and your C/R.

:huh:

So what happened to the 20 cars that were pulled out?

On 1/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, trainfan22 said:

The R16 weren't well running cars and yet the lone running car is still used on museum trips.. The arines ran like crap towards the end of their service life but the museum arines run great on museum trips today. I think the TM can make the Phase II cars run great and work well with the other museum SMEE's.

If there was an NYCTF in the 70s I would certainly be pro saving 10+ cars of R1-9s (which was done) those prewar cars have a certain charm to them that newer trains lack IMO. 32s aren't interesting enough to have an entire train worth of them being saved. I think three 32 pairs would suffice. If one want to give an 32 pair to those Trolley museums I would be OK with that (if their interested).

32s lost their color during GOH, lost their front rollsigns, lost their ceiling fans, etc.. an entire museum train of an stale grey train? Meh 32s in the TOMM consist, dope, 32s on their own? meh.

Not have my mindset? You act like I said NONE of the 32s should be saved lol. I'm very pro saving Transit vehicles for museum fleets.

So it’s no longer worth preserving more pairs of R32s in the transit museum because they don’t have ceiling fans and because the doors aren’t blue anymore?? I’m sorry but that’s a stupid reason. Any car that survives 55+ years in revenue service is worth special treatment in preservation IMO, so I maintain that it would be worth preserving another pair or two to represent the prolonged-life fleet. I doubt they’ll do that, but that’s because of lack of space/funds etc., not because someone thinks they “lost their color” and “aren’t interesting.”

3 hours ago, Amtrak706 said:

So it’s no longer worth preserving more pairs of R32s in the transit museum because they don’t have ceiling fans and because the doors aren’t blue anymore?? I’m sorry but that’s a stupid reason. Any car that survives 55+ years in revenue service is worth special treatment in preservation IMO, so I maintain that it would be worth preserving another pair or two to represent the prolonged-life fleet. I doubt they’ll do that, but that’s because of lack of space/funds etc., not because someone thinks they “lost their color” and “aren’t interesting.”

I really hope they preserve 4 phase I cars. It would be smart to do that. 

10 hours ago, R42sDaBest said:
20 hours ago, irongirl6128 said:

So what happened to the 20 cars that were pulled out?

They were thrown back into service because of the 179 issue

Start with this:

10 of the 20 R-32s that were meant to be scrapped were restored to revenue service.  Two of those pairs (4 cars) had other defects discovered immediately.  One of those pair"SHOULD" be fixed quickly, the other unknown.  Time will tell. 

Unfortunately 10 of the 20 didn't get rescued at all and will still be retired and scapped.

As of today the R-32 fleet has settled at 212 of the "original" 222.

Swap news #1:

As of January 17, 92 R46s have been reassigned to Coney Island, but NOT ALL HAVE ACTUALLY YET BEEN MOVED.  Will be in effect on January 21.

Two of the former Jamaica R-46 links have been temporarily reassigned to Pitkin.

So to answer the questions as of this weekend (January 18-20) there are 300 R-46s left at Jamaica, but you still might see 16 of others that are already reassigned to Coney Island if still randomly wandered on (F) or (R).

No additional moves can be expected for a few weeks.

Swap news #2:

As of January 17, 125 of the Coney Island R160s have been transferred to Jamaica, including the former CBTC Test Siemens train (8893-97 and 9013-17).

The only left 9100-series Alstom cars at Coney Island are 9103-07, 9113-17 and 9163-67.  All other 9100, 9200 and 9400 series Alstoms have all gone over to...

THE BORG!

Queens Will Be Assimilated...Resistance is Futile:ph34r:

(quoth Third of Five)

26 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Swap news #2:

As of January 17, 125 of the Coney Island R160s have been transferred to Jamaica, including the former CBTC Test Siemens train (8893-97 and 9013-17).

All other 9100, 9200 and 9400 series Alstoms have all gone

One of each 9200s left for its remaining time on the Astoria/Brighten line: 9208-9212 (B Kawasaki) and 9233-9237 (A-2 Alstom)

Edited by Calvin

Its time for you all to get your last R160 (N)(W) videos/pics, etc. A reliable source has told me that by the end of February, there will be no R160s left on the (N)(W). Today had to wait about 35 minutes until an R160 came (during rush hour) for the (N)(W) because it was nothing but R46s coming. I'd say, based on the number of R160s left in Coney Island, this is the car assignment for the (N).

15 R160s (mainly Alstom propulsion)

13 R46s

5 R68/R68A

and just to think, a month ago, the (N) was almost all R160s.

Guess its time for me to start biking to/from work and we will be seeing reliability on the N line dropping like a lead balloon.

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Guess its time for me to start biking to/from work and we will be seeing reliability on the N line dropping like a lead balloon.

I don't like the R46s that much either, but it's rather immature for you to not ride at all just because there is subway car you do not like on your line. Get over it. 

12 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

What about the (Q) would it still use some R160, R46 and R68/R68A?

I think the (Q) will have all R68As and the remaining R46s will be on the (B) for weekday-only service.

the remaining R160s SHOULD be on the (N) (would make the most sense operationally due to the terminal swap with the (W) at Astoria) but knowing the MTA they’ll keep them on the (Q) for second avenue.

4 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Uh no. This line had R160s since 2006-2007, so it’s like a fixture.

Why does it matter how long the cars have been there? Things change and it’s childish to refuse to ride a line because the cars are older. If (C) riders can put up with R32s for 20+ years, you can ride the R46s for at least five until the R211s come.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Its time for you all to get your last R160 (N)(W) videos/pics, etc. A reliable source has told me that by the end of February, there will be no R160s left on the (N)(W). Today had to wait about 35 minutes until an R160 came (during rush hour) for the (N)(W) because it was nothing but R46s coming. I'd say, based on the number of R160s left in Coney Island, this is the car assignment for the (N).

15 R160s (mainly Alstom propulsion)

13 R46s

5 R68/R68A

and just to think, a month ago, the (N) was almost all R160s.

If your local station is outdoors, you really waited 35 minutes in 8 degree wind-chill weather JUST to ride a 160? That is insanity guy, I hope your trolling lol.