Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Brakes release takes too long along with a delay on applying the brakes.

Ah, I see...This doesn't seem to be a very serious problem, though. Unless you're a T/O or a railfan, I don't think you would notice. As far as the weight issue, a 10 car train of R160s is heavier.

I never said that everything R32 3838 says is wrong. He just makes so many claims based on his "railfan knowledge" and hardly explains why they make sense. He just says, "I KNOW x, y, z is going to happen." Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong.

And, there are certain things that really hurt his credibility, for example:

- Saying, "Oh, I was on an R32 and it was clean and fast, so that means R32s are reliable."

- Saying that "R68s are a piece of s***" because of brake problems, when many R32s were retired for that very reason and other reasons (http://www.nyctransi...17/page__st__80)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I see...This doesn't seem to be a very serious problem, though. Unless you're a T/O or a railfan, I don't think you would notice. As far as the weight issue, a 10 car train of R160s is heavier.

I never said that everything R32 3838 says is wrong. He just makes so many claims based on his "railfan knowledge" and hardly explains why they make sense. He just says, "I KNOW x, y, z is going to happen." Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong.

And, there are certain things that really hurt his credibility, for example:

- Saying, "Oh, I was on an R32 and it was clean and fast, so that means R32s are reliable."

- Saying that "R68s are a piece of s***" because of brake problems, when many R32s were retired for that very reason and other reasons (http://www.nyctransi...17/page__st__80)

Phase II R32's were replaced due to the Fact the TA was too cheep to SMS them to correct the Brake Issues, they had Brake Issues due to the Fact the TA modified the Brakes with WBCO Brake Pipes and that made the Issues worse, the same type of Air Brake Equipment is on the R68's (esp 2868/9,2727 and a few others have the Phase II air brake) and R62A's and they run great, THATS the main reason why the Phase II's were retired and the TA REGRETS getting rid of those cars, because now we have 48 beat down R42's and back then had rotting R44's (retired in 2010) and now we have about 150-200 less cars, The Biggest Mistake were the retirement of the R40M's, were in very good shape and very reliable, so thats why that group of R32's were retired, the GE R32's were oddballs so they said the hell with it get rid of them, so thats another Fact on why that group of subway cars were retired when the TA likes to modify subway cars they fail at it causing them to have issues in the future

yeah because of their damn weight and issues, but we know they aren't going anywhere, they aren't bad cars, the R68A's have brake issues, that was the TA's falt, not kawasaki's they modified the brakes and it made them horrible, the R68's on the other hand are good

There is no brake issue, it's just that people don't understand that they have to adjust their operation accordingly. Every train is different.

Phase II R32's were replaced due to the Fact the TA was too cheep to SMS them to correct the Brake Issues, they had Brake Issues due to the Fact the TA modified the Brakes with WBCO Brake Pipes and that made the Issues worse, the same type of Air Brake Equipment is on the R68's (esp 2868/9,2727 and a few others have the Phase II air brake) and R62A's and they run great, THATS the main reason why the Phase II's were retired and the TA REGRETS getting rid of those cars, because now we have 48 beat down R42's and back then had rotting R44's (retired in 2010) and now we have about 150-200 less cars, The Biggest Mistake were the retirement of the R40M's, were in very good shape and very reliable, so thats why that group of R32's were retired, the GE R32's were oddballs so they said the hell with it get rid of them, so thats another Fact on why that group of subway cars were retired when the TA likes to modify subway cars they fail at it causing them to have issues in the future

And hopefully that's why there's the R179 option order and maybe even extra R211s.

They (The R46) are getting up there in age so that could be a factor,the lines they run on also play into how well they run.

They are getting up there in age, but the next train delivery will replace the 32's and 42's. In addition to that, the 46's are not the mechanical lemons they used to be.

Sometimes you can't explain to people on certain things

The R46s on the A are have a lot of issues due to they way they run, the A is a 24/7 line the R46s are runned to death causing issues when not layed up, like I stated those cars need rest, the R46s on the F and R runs very good and they do run the R46 on the F overnight as well and the F is just as heavy, it seems you don't ride the A as much, train operators and esp conductors don't like R32s so they try everything to get the disphater to lay up an R32, I see this everyday, back to the R32 in ENY its unknown why that R32 was move to ENY but I doubt its for 207th st, they would have sent it straight up there so there's has to be another reason but we will find out sooner or later

Sometimes you can't explain to people on certain things

the R46s on the F and R runs very good and they do run the R46 on the F overnight as well and the F is just as heavy,

What? You just said that the R46s are overused on the (A), when you're admitting that the (F) runs just as much.

it seems you don't ride the A as much, train operators and esp conductors don't like R32s so they try everything to get the disphater to lay up an R32, I see this everyday,

Who besides a railfan would want to ride an R32 over an R46? And no, I don't pay attention to the dispatcher when I ride the subway...

The F uses 1-5 trainsets of R46s, the A uses over 15 trainsets, normaly 38 trainsets, bottom line is that they are up in age and they are starting to drop like flies, it doesn't matter what the passengers want, whatever there's an avalable train they will use it, everyday I see R46s going straight to the yard, they are becoming unrelaible, I always said the A line needs newer cars, the fleet is too old the R46s are damn near 40

The F uses 1-5 trainsets of R46s, the A uses over 15 trainsets, normaly 38 trainsets, bottom line is that they are up in age and they are starting to drop like flies, it doesn't matter what the passengers want, whatever there's an avalable train they will use it, everyday I see R46s going straight to the yard, they are becoming unrelaible, I always said the A line needs newer cars, the fleet is too old the R46s are damn near 40

And you see these new cars where?

What I mean is, if you had your way and all the R46s went to the (E)(F) where they supposedly "run better", how would that help anything? Yeah, I know how many trains of R46s the (F) currently uses. But you said, "The R46s used to run better when the (F) was basically ALL R46." How would sending R46s to Jamaica Yard help anything??

What I mean is, if you had your way and all the R46s went to the (E)(F) where they supposedly "run better", how would that help anything? Yeah, I know how many trains of R46s the (F) currently uses. But you said, "The R46s used to run better when the (F) was basically ALL R46." How would sending R46s to Jamaica Yard help anything??

I liked one post today and I hit my quota? What is this...

I FREAKING KNEW IT!!!!, and I told alot of people that the R46's are having Issues, But noo everyone wants to bash the R32's and the crew on the (A) always wants an R46, and the dispacther always takes an R32 to lay up, the Rockaways are messing those cars up if they are rusting, the R46's on the (R) are fine, the issue is that the (A) line runs the R46's too much, But as for this R32 set, HELL NO let ENY keep it, WE need our service, people don't realize 207th and pitkin has taken equipment from both jamaica and ENY because of this retarded swap and ENY is short as hell right now PLUS the issues with the (L) line is making it worse, but you see when people think oh the R46's are better than the R32's i just laugh not because they are my favorite (i also like the R46's) but because how management likes to run the (A) line

NOO boss I don't know what you are talking about. The R46s and R32s are tied for the second best train in the system, right behind the R160. And don't you think it is maybe the maintenance? Jamaica in my opinion has a lot less trains to handle than 207 St, so maybe that is why the R46s on the (R) are better?

I liked one post today and I hit my quota? What is this...

The Forums does that a lot to me, join the club.

Edited by trainguy97

Here's one main reason why the F got R160s, breakdowns was on main factor, 2 the R46s can not run on the E unless they really need a train for an emergency, Jamaica had the 46s since day one!, pitkin yard had em since 2009, they are getting up in age, back to the main topic

So what are your thoughts on what they would do with the 32s in ENY, please stay on topic

Here's one main reason why the F got R160s, breakdowns was on main factor, 2 the R46s can not run on the E unless they really need a train for an emergency, Jamaica had the 46s since day one!, pitkin yard had em since 2009, they are getting up in age, back to the main topic

So what are your thoughts on what they would do with the 32s in ENY, please stay on topic

You're the one who dragged us off topic, so don't start that...

I think they're going to be on the (J). The (Z) rollsign has no info on the 32's, so they'll probably be on the (J)....

Doesn't even matter if they list the side bullet as a (J). The amount of Rockaway R32s and R46s I have seen signed as (H) clears my point.

No, the rollsign for the (J) gives line details, such as Jamaica, etc. The rollsign for the (Z) just says (Z)...

NOO boss I don't know what you are talking about. The R46s and R32s are tied for the second best train in the system, right behind the R160. And don't you think it is maybe the maintenance? Jamaica in my opinion has a lot less trains to handle than 207 St, so maybe that is why the R46s on the (R) are better?

The Forums does that a lot to me, join the club.

How does 207th who maintains a fleet for only one subway line (The (C) ) and only the 32s have more cars than Jamaica Yard who maintains a fleet for three lines? Yea the 32s are on the (A) for the summer but under normal circumstances they run on the (C)

Jamaica probably has more cars than Pikin too

Jamaica Yard has a LOT of trains, it has to be top three along with CI and ENY.

On weekends the QB express tracks is full of unused Jamaica Yard trains.

The Jamaica Yard 46s are probably in better shape than the ones on the A/C lines because most of them run on the (R), a part time line. The 46s on the A/C for like 10 months out of the year are running on the (A), a long 24/7 line.

No, the rollsign for the (J) gives line details, such as Jamaica, etc. The rollsign for the (Z) just says (Z)...

I know it says (Z), I have seen it before. And plus, it is not like the entire system is getting R32s, it does not matter if one says just (Z). None of the R42s say Jamaica/Nassau St on it, and the R160s handle that easily. People who ride the train do not really pay close attention to those anyways. All you need it the terminal, the last stop, and the line.

How does 207th who maintains a fleet for only one subway line (The (C) ) and only the 32s have more cars than Jamaica Yard who maintains a fleet for three lines? Yea the 32s are on the (A) for the summer but under normal circumstances they run on the (C)

It was a mistake. I am not so good with the yards. I meant to say the Pitkin. Cool your guts.

207 not only has the R32s from the (C), but it is also like CI, maintaining the cars too. Plus it is responsible for assembling pretty much all of the new cars entering the subway, A and B. Jamaica only has to hold and maintain its cars.