Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

19 hours ago, subway4832 said:

I just saw it at 14th a few mins ago. Its been there for 2 months I believe, wonder if its permanent or just a loan

Historically the (1) always had the highest-numbered R62As. In a sense, that set is coming home.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:14 PM, Tonyboy515 said:

If we take the fact that prior to the swap, the F used 14 R46 trains, and the R used 31, and the N/W collectively used 29 R160 trains, while the Q used 21, there are clearly enough R46 trains to cover all of the N/W's R160s as well as the entirety of the G (though the G may be keeping its R68s), still having a considerable amount of trains left over for use by the B/Q... However, I'm still not sure how car assignments will fully play out, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves. 

I liked the idea mentioned up thread about sending the R46 pairs currently on the (A) to CI, so they can operate 6-car trains on the (G) again. Those same pairs formerly ran on the (G) when it was based out of Jamaica Yard.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I got an R46 (F) for the first time in a few weeks this morning. When you get a seat, you love the R46s, but when you are standing, you hate them.

You've got to do the "Queens Blvd Wobble"😂. I will miss the R46s on the (F). The (F) has used those trains since they were born. I think that the R46s will be most synonymous with the (F) and (R). When you think of those 2 lines I think R46. Other lines have used them, but not have had the impact like the (F) and (R).  

17 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

You've got to do the "Queens Blvd Wobble"😂. I will miss the R46s on the (F). The (F) has used those trains since they were born. I think that the R46s will be most synonymous with the (F) and (R). When you think of those 2 lines I think R46. Other lines have used them, but not have had the impact like the (F) and (R).  

I’m seeing more R160s on the (R) now. It’s so weird seeing them so often on the (R) since I am so used to the old R46’s dominating the (R) for much longer than I’ve been alive. It’s crazy to think that the days of R46’s on the (F) and (R) are numbered.

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m seeing more R160s on the (R) now. It’s so weird seeing them so often on the (R) since I am so used to the old R46’s dominating the (R) for much longer than I’ve been alive. It’s crazy to think that the days of R46’s on the (F) and (R) are numbered.

I’m glad they’re on the (R) it’s one less bad opinion of the (R) line. R160’s make it tolerable for it’s length and respected by it’s modern technology. 

I can confirm that the swap is also being done with layups in CI Yard

5644-5642/5788-5786 operated a (F) to Kings Highway in the morning (i saw and recorded this train), then same say afternoon another person caught this set on the (N) at 57th St during the PM rush.

Crazy how quick this swap is moving now huh?

5 hours ago, VIP said:

I’m glad they’re on the (R) it’s one less bad opinion of the (R) line. R160’s make it tolerable for it’s length and respected by it’s modern technology. 

I’m glad too. Before the swap ever happened it was always a treat to catch an R160 on the (R) because of how the line was dominated by R46’s. The only thing I wish is that Coney Island would do is give up some more R160B Siemens sets instead of only Alstom sets. We only have one Siemens set but it literally can be on any line whether that’s the (E)(F) or (R) 

2 hours ago, Train92 said:

5644-5642/5788-5786 operated a (F) to Kings Highway in the morning (i saw and recorded this train), then same say afternoon another person caught this set on the (N) at 57th St during the PM rush.

Lol one way ticket down to Coney Island and then back up to Astoria via a new line. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m glad too. Before the swap ever happened it was always a treat to catch an R160 on the (R) because of how the line was dominated by R46’s. The only thing I wish is that Coney Island would do is give up some more R160B Siemens sets instead of only Alstom sets. We only have one Siemens set but it literally can be on any line whether that’s the (E)(F) or (R) 

Lol one way ticket down to Coney Island and then back up to Astoria via a new line. 

I'm glad to see both the (A) (R) with new equipment after so many years of R46's/R32/s on the lines....

6 hours ago, T J Trainman said:

8817-8813/8717-8713 are or were on the F line a few hours ago.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sounds like there's another coming by this afternoon.  Watch for lonely Alstom R-160A-2 set 8693-8697 to complete that group at Jamaica.

They must think they're lost by now, the poor things.

Queens Will Be Assimilated...Resistance is Futile:ph34r:

(quoth Third of Five)

35 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

8723 is on the (R)

Leftover R160Bs at Coney Island:

Alstom propulsion

8718-8722, 8728-8737, 8743-8762, 8768-8772, 8778-8782 (seen this morning on the (W)), 8783-8787, 8798-8812, 8823-8837

Siemens Propulsion (all cars with the exception of 8893-8897, 9013-9017)

Considering how inconsistent the leftover R160Bs are at Coney Island, it seems like the leftover ones that will not be going for QBL CBTC will be Siemens propulsion cars.

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Sounds like there's another coming by this afternoon.  Watch for lonely Alstom R-160A-2 set 8693-8697 to complete that group at Jamaica.

They must think they're lost by now, the poor things.

Queens Will Be Assimilated...Resistance is Futile:ph34r:

(quoth Third of Five)

Already at Jamaica with 8738-8742. Definitely was hiding haha

Edited by darkstar8983

This means that now the (R) is more than 50% R160: Broken down as follows:

(E) needs 260 cars + 50 spares

(F) needs 440 cars + 50 spares (maybe even 420 cars only for regular service because some R46s have to remain on the (F) to allow for the midday layup swaps with the (N).

That equals about 790 R160s that need to be set aside for the (E)(F), and 170 cars that are free for the (R) to use. And it's assumed that most of those leftover R160s are in service.

41 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Alstom propulsion

8718-8722, 8728-8737, 8743-8762, 8768-8772, 8778-8782 (seen this morning on the (W)), 8783-8787, 8798-8812, 8823-8837

Considering how inconsistent the leftover R160Bs are at Coney Island, it seems like the leftover ones that will not be going for QBL CBTC will be Siemens propulsion cars.

Are there any R160A cars at Coney Island?

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Alstom propulsion

8718-8722, 8728-8737, 8743-8762, 8768-87728778-8782 (seen this morning on the (W)), 8783-8787, 8798-8812, 8823-8837

I’m guessing, given that prior to the fleet swaps, all of Jamaica’s R160s had Alstom propulsion, it would make more sense to send the Alstom R160s from CI to Jamaica, as opposed to the Siemens ones. Then again, that wouldn’t explain why they sent 8893-97 and 9013-17 to Jamaica. Maybe to familiarize shop crews with them on the off-chance they do need to send more Siemens cars there.

58 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Changes are coming to the (A) and (C) lines very soon, may even be tomorrow. 

The R32s are on very borrowed time.

A friend of mine can corroborate on this. A NIS R46 was on the C. It is sorta interesting that the MTA is reverting back on the 600 ft (8*75) train ban on the C.

1 hour ago, Dj Hammers said:

Changes are coming to the (A) and (C) lines very soon, may even be tomorrow. 

The R32s are on very borrowed time.

Yeah well they might as well get rid of the rest because the fleet will be too tight to be supported (long-term, meaning as long as 2022) anyway.

All I can offer is that  those R-211s better work!

As of Rn I'm getting my last R32 (C) Train rides in for tonight and getting my last shots of them I'm seriously gonna miss them on the (C) has this line was dominated  with them and was always good with them in fashion  they just sparked on the (C) man... the operators always hauled with them and it was like yesterday  seeing a bunch of them roam the (C) LOL I'm saying this because the R179 thing but still just many memorable  times with the R32 (C).