Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They want R32’s off the (C) ? I’m not even sure if I actually buy that at all. They will probably continue to throw them on the (C) until they officially retire. The R179s are not stable yet so anything can happen between now and the arrival of the R211’s. 

The official bulletin order and updated b division sheet says otherwise, but ok lol.🤷‍♀️

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes R46 invasion are all over the place now. They are currently on (A) some on (F)(R)(N)(W) few on (Q) Rockaway Park (S) and sometimes on (C) .  They are going no where yet and far from retirement. Even though the Subway R44s are gone. We have R46 in the Subways and R44 on Staten Island Railway still going strong. R211 we will be waiting a very long time for them to come and we are currently finishing R179 orders and trying to resolve some mechanical issues.

They are also some R68/R68A invasions going on they are currently on (B)(D)(G) some on (N)(W) few on (Q), PM put in on (A) and Franklin Av (S) .

Edited by bwwnyc123

4 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yes R46 invasion are all over the place now. They are currently on (A) some on (F)(R)(N)(W) few on (Q) Rockaway Park (S) and sometimes on (C) .  They are going no where yet and far from retirement. Even though the Subway R44s are gone. We have R46 in the Subways and R44 on Staten Island Railway still going strong. R211 we will be waiting a very long time for them to come and we are currently finishing R179 orders and trying to resolve some mechanical issues.

They are also some R68/R68A invasions going on they are currently on (B)(D)(G) some on (N)(W) few on (Q), PM put in on (A) and Franklin Av (S) .

R211s are gonna be on service around Q3-Q4 2020.

11 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

The official bulletin order and updated b division sheet says otherwise, but ok lol.🤷‍♀️

I’m not saying that they won’t take them off of the (C). I just wonder how long it will last until we see some of them pop up on the route again. With the (MTA) they are always changing their minds and I know before they wanted to get the R32s off the (C) and that didn’t happen. Plus with the R179s not being completely reliable yet it could affect those plans. 

1 hour ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

R211s are gonna be on service around Q3-Q4 2020.

nope, 2021

They need to test out everything before the cars enter service. it takes 12-15 months for testing, they have to test and program the train thru the whole B Division.

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's at least two sets of R32s running on the (C) right now... I didn't see any R46 (C) trains.

There hasn’t been R46 Equipment on the (C) in awhile. Still not understanding where anyone is finding these Rumors and bringing them into existence. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

There hasn’t been R46 Equipment on the (C) in awhile. Still not understanding where anyone is finding these Rumors and bringing them into existence. 

And today there don’t appear to be any. Just took the (A) (R179) from Columbus circle to 168 St and only R179s and R32s were on the (C) 

23 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

also, the total number of active R32s in service is now up from 122 to 128 (138 counting refuse/work trains). 3468-3445, 3446-47, 3818-19 are still in service as of today, i saw that set on the (C) like a few others did.

Now its back up to 130.  Check 3834/35 on (C) Feb 7.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:40 PM, Fan Railer said:

(A) - 7 R32 consists during the rush; 6 R179, and assorted R46 and 1 R68 [PM only] fill out remaining trains.

(C) -  9 R179 & 9 R46 during the AM, 9 R179 & 8 R46 during the PM

Not yet, as (C) Friday had 9 & 9 OK on the AM, just R-179 & R-32.

Just one, maybe two R-32 on (A) in AM.

Any idea on PM?  Monday maybe?

Love the 50% full-trains on (C) if so!  Lets get to 100% soon!

Long overdue.

22 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

The ERA Bulletin has not been updated yet though. The recent update was just the recent R179 fiasco, which has since cleared up when they were restored to service. But I suspect an update to the car assignments for both A and B divisions by next month or earlier.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

The ERA Bulletin has not been updated yet though. The recent update was just the recent R179 fiasco, which has since cleared up when they were restored to service. But I suspect an update to the car assignments for both A and B divisions by next month or earlier.

Not much for the A Division. Just the Broadway North (1) line: the rotated R62 is the Westchester R62A 2466-2475. The (6) is down by 1 train in their total but amount of trains required for the rush remains the same. 

Edited by Calvin

29 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Are you confident of that based on late R179's and late M9's?

Are you confident the manufacturer will deliver these cars problem free with no modifications/fixes needed?

I am not based on history.

Good to hear from you again. I guess you have seen the posts about the R179’s and the comparisons with some older fleets. I don’t know where this misinformation begins. I remember R62 and R62a design flaws. The Vapor door key replacement program comes to mind. The R62a sealed beam problem stemming from the electric portions supposedly related to the car washes. The R142 traction and braking problems, especially in sleet-like conditions where the train struggled to make the climb from 149-3rd to Jackson Avenue, or did it’s own thing from Dyre to Morris Park when the ground was frozen. Let’s not forget about the overly sensitive door mechanism on the R142a cars on the (6) line. Every afternoon around 3pm s/b (6) trains would be delayed by school kids who interfered with the doors so much CED had to cut down on the sensitivity of the recycling circuit. So much for the testing program. Same thing happened down at Flatbush Avenue when ConEd did their power shedding into the subway system and the R142 cars would shutdown because they weren’t calibrated for it and sensed an overload. The cars I mentioned had already passed the testing program. Bombardier or Kawasaki may put their name on the finished car but it’s NYCT who specs, tests, and accepts the products. There’s enough blame to spread around, today and in the past. Just my observation though. Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Are you confident of that based on late R179's and late M9's?

Are you confident the manufacturer will deliver these cars problem free with no modifications/fixes needed?

I am not based on history.

I think that was mostly problem Bombardier’s fault. The R211 cars are being made by Kawasaki.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:46 PM, R32 3838 said:

nope, 2021

They need to test out everything before the cars enter service. it takes 12-15 months for testing, they have to test and program the train thru the whole B Division.

then why 30 R211 Cars have been built?

Does these tweets sound familiar?

On 2/9/2020 at 12:07 AM, Jemorie said:

The ERA is not NYCT proper.

3 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

then why 30 R211 Cars have been built?

Does these tweets sound familiar?

The pilot set has to test for 12-15 months before it's approved for revenue service. Those tweets are referring to the delivery of the test set which is scheduled for July 2020.