Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I know it says (Z), I have seen it before. And plus, it is not like the entire system is getting R32s, it does not matter if one says just (Z). None of the R42s say Jamaica/Nassau St on it, and the R160s handle that easily. People who ride the train do not really pay close attention to those anyways. All you need it the terminal, the last stop, and the line.

It was a mistake. I am not so good with the yards. I meant to say the Pitkin. Cool your guts.

207 not only has the R32s from the (C), but it is also like CI, maintaining the cars too. Plus it is responsible for assembling pretty much all of the new cars entering the subway, A and B. Jamaica only has to hold and maintain its cars.

Isn't the shop where the 32s from the (C) is cared for @ 207th separate from the overhaul shop?

CI fleet is still pretty big with the just the cars from the (B), (N) and (Q) lines. The maintenance shop where the 68s & 160s from the CI lines are inspected are in a different building than the overhaul shop.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

All this speculation and nobody has any real info. All we know is that the set in question moved from Fresh Pond over to East New York. For all we know, they could've just moved that train some place it isn't as likely to get tagged once a week.

Damn ya'll all this over a R32 set moved. 1. The R46's on the (A)/© Lines are doing poorly

2. Even SMSed R32's are doing Poorly, thats why they get laid up more often now. Hey havent ya'll Noticed that ENY R42 running on the (A)? yeah, it runs more trips...I personally think ENY is not gonna want that set back... the info I just provided, I got from a Yard superintendent. 3 that R32 Set at ENY is gonna get SMSed and its going to return to ENY once The TA sorts out the best 50 R32 cars for Either (J)/(Z) service. (so that whole set 3370 3371 etc wont be in one consist when it returns back from SMS)

that info i provided,I got from a Yard maintenance worker. sometimes you just gotta go out your way and ask questions, rather than to jump to conclusions.

Damn ya'll all this over a R32 set moved. 1. The R46's on the (A)/© Lines are doing poorly

2. Even SMSed R32's are doing Poorly, thats why they get laid up more often now. Hey havent ya'll Noticed that ENY R42 running on the (A)? yeah, it runs more trips...I personally think ENY is not gonna want that set back... the info I just provided, I got from a Yard superintendent. 3 that R32 Set at ENY is gonna get SMSed and its going to return to ENY once The TA sorts out the best 50 R32 cars for Either (J)/(Z) service. (so that whole set 3370 3371 etc wont be in one consist when it returns back from SMS)

that info i provided,I got from a Yard maintenance worker. sometimes you just gotta go out your way and ask questions, rather than to jump to conclusions.

It sounds similar from what I heard, but as for the R42's its unknown, thats why we should all wait and see, and yes them R46's are doing very poorly, 3370/1 is a bad set, when it was at jamaica when on the (V) bad in 2010, it took a 4 month break from service and out of the blue in april it comes back in service

Edited by R32 3838

Thats what I thought.

Only the (X) and (Y) bullets have no information. I had a feeling the (Z) had information with it.

Either way if the (Z) rollsign has no info on the rollsign, if they put it on the (Z), it's only one trip then goes NIS. It's not an all day thing. All this for a damn rollsign...shit

Thank-you.

Edited by trainguy97

hey Guys, Not all R32's have the (Z) Jamaica Nassau St setup, I got lucky that day and that poped up when i was scrolling through the signs took a shot of it and changed it back, but most of the R32's have the (Z) in the middle with no info some have the (Z) at the normal spot but with no lettering

theres a newer roll on some R32s that has the (JFK) saying Train to the Plane instead of JFK Express and the (Z) has Jamaica Nassau St.

Most of em have the roll from the late 80s when they overhauled them, if I remember right there is one set with the older 1985 roll, that one only has <C> 8 Avenue Local, not the long way of writing out the routes like Washington Heights/8 Avenue/Fulton.

Does it matter where the train is gonna go?

Do you think the average passenger cares what kind of subway car shows up?

Everyone jumping to conclusions about where this and that is gonna go. Just cuz a TA worker told you where its gonna go doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna happen.

Just sit back and wait for the dust to settle...

theres a newer roll on some R32s that has the (JFK) saying Train to the Plane instead of JFK Express and the (Z) has Jamaica Nassau St.

Most of em have the roll from the late 80s when they overhauled them, if I remember right there is one set with the older 1985 roll, that one only has <C> 8 Avenue Local, not the long way of writing out the routes like Washington Heights/8 Avenue/Fulton.

The <C> 8 Av Local did not have much information because that was the Rush Hour to Bedford Park Boulevard. It was supposed to be a quick change over from the (C).

Does it matter where the train is gonna go?

Do you think the average passenger cares what kind of subway car shows up?

That's always a common misconception but alot of people actually do care what type of train shows up. Every time i take the (J)(Z) home and a R42 comes in you can hear alot of sighs from the people standing in the station. Some even complain how it probably won't have a working A/C or whatever. When they ran the (F) via the (C) to Euclid, i heard multiple times people saying "wow , we get the new train!". So often times people do care because most people aren't oblivious to what pulls into the station. They may not know the trains specifications like us railfan's do, but most people can tell whether a train is new or old and come to the conclusion whether they like the train ride on that particular train or not. Maybe throwing some R32s onto the (J)(Z) isn't a bad idea and people might think it's a new train , until they step inside of course.

Edited by Mr Railfan

Guest Lance

That's always a common misconception but alot of people actually do care what type of train shows up. Every time i take the (J)(Z) home and a R42 comes in you can hear alot of sighs from the people standing in the station. Some even complain how it probably won't have a working A/C or whatever. When they ran the (F) via the (C) to Euclid, i heard multiple times people saying "wow , we get the new train!". So often times people do care because most people aren't oblivious to what pulls into the station. They may not know the trains specifications like us railfan's do, but most people can tell whether a train is new or old and come to the conclusion whether they like the train ride on that particular train or not. Maybe throwing some R32s onto the (J)(Z) isn't a bad idea and people might think it's a new train , until they step inside of course.

I highly doubt any Jamaica rider is going to confuse a 32 for anything new. Unless (s)he's a flipping moron, that is. More likely, riders over there will say something along the lines of "WTF, we traded crap for crap".

Wait....

An I, O, U, P, T, X, and Y rollsign?

Someone get me a stretcher, I'm going unconscious...

Flipdot too. All the bullets in the rollsign have no info, black letters, white circle.

These chieves were prepared for the worst.

Without taking this thing too far off-topic, as if there was a topic to stick to in the first place, the flipdot display in the front of the train is a standard alphanumeric display that can show A-Z and 0-9. I guess when the TA ordered them back in the '80s, they didn't bother with customizing the thing.

As for the rollsigns, P,T,U,X,Y were probably added just in case of something. I know the P was to be used as an LIRR shuttle designation if Amtrak went on strike back in the '80s and blocked LIRR access into Penn Station. Since that never happened, it wasn't used, just like the other White Line bullets.

Anyhow, regardless of what the route description roll on the 32s displays, as long as the north and south terminals are correct and route bullet is there on the third line, the MTA will run the trains on the line(s) they want to. All this crap about the 32s being unable to run on the Z because of a lack of a route description is simply that. Crap. I will direct you to about two or three years ago when one set of 32s ran on the B. The lower sign either displayed "6 Avenue/West End" or "Washington Hts/6 Avenue", both of which are technically incorrect. However, since the bullet still showed B and the north terminal was signed "145 St, Manhattan" or "Bedford Park Blvd" and the south was "Brighton Beach", no one really cared. Besides, outside of the Manhattan trunks, most riders don't even know the old line names anyway.

the Current Rollsigns on the R32's are from 1988-89, most of the Phase I's have the Adenz - grotesk (however you spell it) font 1988, and some have the Helvetica 1989 with the Adenz - grotesk letter in the bullet, and 3510/11,(3356 scrapped) and 3807 are the Only R32's with Pre-1988 Rollsigns from 1985

I highly doubt any Jamaica rider is going to confuse a 32 for anything new. Unless (s)he's a flipping moron, that is. More likely, riders over there will say something along the lines of "WTF, we traded crap for crap".

Without taking this thing too far off-topic, as if there was a topic to stick to in the first place, the flipdot display in the front of the train is a standard alphanumeric display that can show A-Z and 0-9. I guess when the TA ordered them back in the '80s, they didn't bother with customizing the thing.

As for the rollsigns, P,T,U,X,Y were probably added just in case of something. I know the P was to be used as an LIRR shuttle designation if Amtrak went on strike back in the '80s and blocked LIRR access into Penn Station. Since that never happened, it wasn't used, just like the other White Line bullets.

Anyhow, regardless of what the route description roll on the 32s displays, as long as the north and south terminals are correct and route bullet is there on the third line, the MTA will run the trains on the line(s) they want to. All this crap about the 32s being unable to run on the Z because of a lack of a route description is simply that. Crap. I will direct you to about two or three years ago when one set of 32s ran on the B. The lower sign either displayed "6 Avenue/West End" or "Washington Hts/6 Avenue", both of which are technically incorrect. However, since the bullet still showed B and the north terminal was signed "145 St, Manhattan" or "Bedford Park Blvd" and the south was "Brighton Beach", no one really cared. Besides, outside of the Manhattan trunks, most riders don't even know the old line names anyway.

Lance they don't rerember, the R30's Had the Same type of rollsigns and THEY infact ran on the (Z) from 1988-1993 and there's picture proof and yes it had the single (Z) in the middle

Thats what I have god damn been trying to say for the past million years. I hope you finally believe me when the MOD says it.