Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah, but they stopped having those Rock Park (A)s end at 59th in the AM Rush (and start at 59th in the PM Rush) about 8 years ago though (last time was 2012). Combined with more modern technology as time went on, including electronics, countdown clocks, and the MTA Subway Time app.

In the AM Rush, they head straight up to 207th Street and remain in service in general the rest of the day.

You're wrong on the first part. Those northbound (A) Trains from Rockaway Park stopped ending at 59th Street in 2004 when the Manhattan Bridge Project was over and were extended to 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street. Beginning sometime in 2013 those trains were extended to 207th Street and they had select (A) Trains from both Far Rockaway and Lefferts end at 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street instead which made perfect because those (A) Trains are the overnight crews finishing up their run.

The southbound (A) Trains that went to Rockaway Park did start service at 59th Street except for the last one which started in service in Dyckman Street until the middle in the summer of 2012. I remember there was certain reasons why it was changed to have those trains start Uptown instead of 59th Street.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

You're wrong on the first part. Those northbound (A) Trains from Rockaway Park stopped ending at 59th Street in 2004 when the Manhattan Bridge Project was over and were extended to 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street. Beginning sometime in 2013 those trains were extended to 207th Street and they had select (A) Trains from both Far Rockaway and Lefferts end at 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street instead which made perfect because those (A) Trains are the overnight crews finishing up their run.

The northbound signs in the Rockaways still say 59th Street, don't they? Or did they finally change those?

12 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The northbound signs in the Rockaways still say 59th Street, don't they? Or did they finally change those?

Yes, they still do. They never replaced the signs as of yet.

The Far Rockaway Branch ones are regular. They say to 207th Street, although they don’t clarify that the train goes express during the daytime and local during the night-time. 

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

I Miss R160 (N)(Q)(W) Train

I rode R160s on the (N) both this past Thursday and Friday and saw plenty of them on the (Q). Even a couple on the (W). Aren’t most, if not all, of the Siemens R160s staying at Coney Island? Should be plenty of opportunities to ride them on the (Q), maybe less so on the (N)(W) (just need to fix those crappy digital side destination signs on the R46s!).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

46 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I rode R160s on the (N) both this past Thursday and Friday and saw plenty of them on the (Q). Even a couple on the (W). Aren’t most, if not all, of the Siemens R160s staying at Coney Island? Should be plenty of opportunities to ride them on the (Q), maybe less so on the (N)(W) (just need to fix those crappy digital side destination signs on the R46s!).

Jamaica still has more R46s to hand off to Coney Island so I'm pretty sure that at least some of the Siemens fleet is going to leave Coney Island... probably making the (Q) get more R68s (probably from the (G) since more R46s are slowly replacing the R68s on the (G)), and as I've stated earlier, there will still be more than enough R46s from Jamaica to fill up the entire (N)(W) and (G) and still have enough left over to at least somewhat cover the (Q) (or (B) but I'm pretty sure the (B) is out of the equation).

On a side note, I'm wondering why R46s are being placed on the (Q)(N)(W) and (G) if the (B) was already running older cars than them (the (Q)(N)(W)'s when they were almost full R160 versus the (B)'s R68/As) and is a weekday-only service (as opposed to all 4 previously mentioned)? Wouldn't it be a better fit and make sense to have at least some of the R46s run on the (B) instead and displace the R68/As over to the rest of the CI lines? The R46s would then have at least a bit of a breather with the reasons stated before...

And about those digital signs... I was on an AM rush (Q) that had the signs flipping between (N) to Canal Street and (K) to World Trade Center via 8th Avenue Local, and eventually the conductor went on speaker and said "I can't change the damn sign!" 🤣

Edited by Tonyboy515
(Forgot to mention some side sign anecdotes)

1 hour ago, Tonyboy515 said:

Jamaica still has more R46s to hand off to Coney Island so I'm pretty sure that at least some of the Siemens fleet is going to leave Coney Island... probably making the (Q) get more R68s (probably from the (G) since more R46s are slowly replacing the R68s on the (G)), and as I've stated earlier, there will still be more than enough R46s from Jamaica to fill up the entire (N)(W) and (G) and still have enough left over to at least somewhat cover the (Q) (or (B) but I'm pretty sure the (B) is out of the equation).

On a side note, I'm wondering why R46s are being placed on the (Q)(N)(W) and (G) if the (B) was already running older cars than them (the (Q)(N)(W)'s when they were almost full R160 versus the (B)'s R68/As) and is a weekday-only service (as opposed to all 4 previously mentioned)? Wouldn't it be a better fit and make sense to have at least some of the R46s run on the (B) instead and displace the R68/As over to the rest of the CI lines? The R46s would then have at least a bit of a breather with the reasons stated before...

And about those digital signs... I was on an AM rush (Q) that had the signs flipping between (N) to Canal Street and (K) to World Trade Center via 8th Avenue Local, and eventually the conductor went on speaker and said "I can't change the damn sign!" 🤣

R46s are Old that is why digital side destination signs flipping like crazy, when R211s arrived in Q3-Q4 2020 and put in service in 2021, R211 cars would be produced and delivered at a rate of 30 to 40 cars per month by replacing all R46s and R44s, perhaps R68s if structural integrity issues found on R68s like it did with NYCT R44s that caused the Option 2 Order of R160s by replacing all NYCT R44s.

2 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

The (N)(W), like the (2)(5), need cars with electronic exterior side signage for obvious reasons. 

The (N)(W), like the (2)(5), need cars with electronic exterior side signage for obvious reasons. 

I wasn't specifically saying that the R46s shouldn't be on the (N)(W), but that's a really good point now that I think about it. Anyway, there are clearly surplus R46s to cover the (B)'s fleet even with the (N) and (W) full.

Edited by Tonyboy515

4 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

I figured they weren’t done yet. I guess CI has fewer R160 Alstom sets than I thought. I haven’t seen any on the (N)(Q) or (W) in the last couple of weeks. Though there might still be some there judging by some of the more recent posts in this thread.

It would make more sense to have the older R46 cars on the part-time (B). But then again for most of the 90s, they ran the older R40 slant trains on the (B), while running the then-new R68/R68A trains on the weekdays-only (orangeQ) (even signed up as <Q>, even though they ran via 6th Avenue express). In 1998, they finally moved the R68A’s to the (B) and the R40s to the (orangeQ) when they implemented OPTO on the (B) shuttle between Stillwell and 36th. 

Yes, but they have to work. The R46s got electronic side signs during their 1990-91 GOH. Even just a few years after their GOH, those signs have had problems working. I wonder why they can’t ever seem to get them to work.

8 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

Also the (J)(Z) as well

The (J) and (Z) have the same terminals, so you really just need to make sure it’s either set on (J) or (Z). The (1) and (9) both ran R62A’s which don’t have - and never had - electronic side signs.

@T to Dyre Avenue, with the R46s, all the train crew needs to do is just the route bullets from (N) to (W) or (W) to (N) on the first and last cars, with the rest of the train needing their exterior side signages changed from one line to the other or vice-versa.

Most of the R46s on the (N)(W) from what I’ve seen while waiting for an R160 to show up had their LCDs correct. I don’t know. Maybe because I’m obviously not a daily Astoria/Broadway rider since I don’t live/work by them. But just sharing my perspective.

With the R68/As, it’s gonna be a major problem.

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

@T to Dyre Avenue, with the R46s, all the train crew needs to do is just the route bullets from (N) to (W) or (W) to (N) on the first and last cars, with the rest of the train needing their exterior side signages changed from one line to the other or vice-versa.

Most of the R46s on the (N)(W) from what I’ve seen while waiting for an R160 to show up had their LCDs correct. I don’t know. Maybe because I’m obviously not a daily Astoria/Broadway rider since I don’t live/work by them. But just sharing my perspective.

With the R68/As, it’s gonna be a major problem.

Many trains have both N and W signs on the R46s, confusing passengers.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Many trains have both N and W signs on the R46s, confusing passengers.

You guys need to report that to the (MTA) by email or some shit then. If ya’ll could ironically bash @darkstar8983 for preferring the R160s over those crappy R46s on the (N)(W)(Q), then you guys can do the very same to the (MTA).

Doesn’t make any sense.

Edited by Jemorie

@Jemorie, I would be very surprised if no one in all the years since the R46s were GOH’ed has reported problems with the side destination signs. I would certainly be surprised if no crew members operating them have ever done so. But certainly if I see an R46 with blank or incorrect destination signs, I will report it. 

For what it’s worth, I also prefer the R160s, though I do like the seating arrangement on the R46s with the forward facing seats. I’m not saying we should switch to that seating arrangement on the current and future generation cars, though we did have 60-foot cars with the same arrangement - the pre-WW2 IND cars (R1-9) and the R10, 11 and 16 cars.

6 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

@Jemorie, I would be very surprised if no one in all the years since the R46s were GOH’ed has reported problems with the side destination signs. I would certainly be surprised if no crew members operating them have ever done so. But certainly if I see an R46 with blank or incorrect destination signs, I will report it. 

Regular (A) rider here. I’ve seen plenty of trains with destination signs hopelessly wrong, from blank ones to wrong information to large amounts of burnt-out (I presume) lightbulbs, which make the sign impossible to read.

39 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

You guys need to report that to the (MTA) by email or some shit then. If ya’ll could ironically bash @darkstar8983 for preferring the R160s over those crappy R46s on the (N)(W)(Q), then you guys can do the very same to the (MTA).

Doesn’t make any sense.

I am not a regular N/W rider. A friend who is told me that.

The MTA will have to fix those signs especially if the R46’s are going to be on more routes now. Before they could get away with it since the R46’s were primarily on the (A) and (R) and Rockaway Park shuttle for the last decade with the some popping up on the (F) . But for most riders I’m sure if they saw a R46 traveling along 8th Ave or Broadway they knew what route it was. Now it is not so easy especially if the LCD displays are broken or have the wrong information on them. I hope CI will give the R46’s a little more TLC than Pitkin and Jamaica. I really appreciate their R160s because several of them look noticeably cleaner and more loved than Jamaica’s R160s.